[REMOVE ADS]

What Four Tops Top 40 Hit Was Composed By A US Vice President ???

That's all the info I'll provide at this point as I no doubt that's all one of the Motown aces around here will need to name it .....

It's All in the Game.

OK, here's one more quick giveaway clue

Cliff Richard made the UK Top 40 45 times in the sixties.
    During that same decade [[ and beyond) , he made the US Top 40 once, ....with this same composition.

Reese ... you are toooo fast !! I couldn't even spit out my next clue!

Its' All In The Game was written by Calvin Coolidge's VP Charles Dawes. I learned that on some old music trivia thing...

YES !!

Exactly fifty years ago, ---May 30, 1970 --- The Four Tops entered the Top 40 with their Frank Wilson produced version of IT's ALL IN THE GAME , originally an instrumental composition called MELODY IN A MAJOR by the not yet 30th Vice-President of the United States, Charles Gate Dawes.
    Before posting that version , here is the original that would follow Dawes throughout his life [[ until he was sick of it!)

This was the most famous rendition I believe by Tommy Edwards from 1958. It was the number one song the day my older brother was born and we had it played during his 50th Birthday party

Thanks Marv. One of my favourites of all time.Did you know that Tommy first recorded this song in 1952.Then re recorded 6 years later.Please stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Thanks Marv. One of my favourites of all time.Did you know that Tommy first recorded this song in 1952.Then re recorded 6 years later.Please stay safe.
    You're most welcome Roger. I did not know he had did an earlier version of it. I believe his '58 version was used in a classic film. You do the same my friend. I want you to always be around and be healthy!

Nat King Cole did a nice job on it too...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dqUImQmqQ7s

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    And here is that original version:

Thanks lockhartgary, it certainly had promise then. I was a 12yo. when the hit version came out. Two other standouts from around that time Maurice Williams & the Zodiac`s "Stay"and the wonderful "Rockin` Robin" by Bobby Day with that rolling shuffle beat!
    Wonderful memories and they still sound good today.

James Jamerson Bass

Love Jamerson's bass on the song, so good

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    And here is that original version:
    Thank you Lockhartgary!

Good stuff!

Dawes composed the music for this song in 1912 and it followed him throughout his life as an instrumental. Ironically words were not put to it until 1951 by lyricist Carl Sigman only months after Dawes had passed away. He therefore never got to hear his composition reshaped as a pop song.
    That first year, several artists released their versions , including Tommy Edwards with his first attempt at it . [[posted above) It became the the most popular of the releases, but even it was relatively modest, peaking at #18 [[ best sellers in stores).

Dinah Shore was one of the other artists that first took a stab at ITS ALL IN THE GAME in '51:

Billy Eckstine made a version of it too, but Motown didn't release it.
    Produced by Dean & Weatherspoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3ixlQ8O2o

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Billy Eckstine made a version of it too, but Motown didn't release it.
    Produced by Dean & Weatherspoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3ixlQ8O2o

Wow , is that from '67 I believe. Years ahead of the Thom Bell/ Philly sound , but it sure sounds like it came out of that camp!!!

it is June 6, 1970 and the second week in the Top 40 for The Four Tops version of ITS ALL IN THE GAME.

Last week they entered the Top 40 at #38. This week they jump 7 spots to #31. Also this week two new Motown songs enter the Top 40: The Temptations BALL OF CONFUSION @ an impressive # 24 , and The Jackson Five come in at an incredible #15.

Now, The Four Tops as heard on the radio airwaves in the summer of '70: