[REMOVE ADS]

Remembering Gladys Horton on her 75th Birthday

Listening to some of the Marvelettes' early music tonight and remembering Gladys Horton on what would have been her 75th Birthday. Always loved and remembered!

Probably one of the best write ups I ever read about Gladys was a blogger who remarked that Gladys embodies the attitude, "I am not here for your bulls--t." I can go with that. Gladys got down to brass tacks. She could paint a beautiful, romantic picture as well as the rest of them [["Tonight Was Made for Love") but had Gladys come along in the 70s, I'd wager she would have been on a par with the Tina Turners, Millie Jacksons and Shirley "Woman to Woman" Browns of music.

One of my favorite ladies. Happy Birthday [[In Heaven) to Ms. Gladys Horton!

Have heard "Too Many Fish in the Sea" often on my Sirius radio lately. Gladys at her best!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    but had Gladys come along in the 70s, I'd wager she would have been on a par with the Tina Turners, Millie Jacksons and Shirley "Woman to Woman" Browns of music.
    I can see it! Would have also loved to have read that book that she was working on.

Gladys was so damn real. Still miss her and will always love her work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us18AUBM2RI

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I can see it! Would have also loved to have read that book that she was working on.
    That would really be great if we could. I think she would have kept it real without being trashy or disrespectful. Just pure honesty.

Found this online recently. A 2011 article which covered Gladys' funeral and some interviews with the other Marvelettes:

https://prince.org/msg/8/374639

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Found this online recently. A 2011 article which covered Gladys' funeral and some interviews with the other Marvelettes:

https://prince.org/msg/8/374639
    Thanks for sharing this great article. I had read Mark Taylor's book on the Marvelettes over a decade ago and it was a decent read. This article provided some additional information that I don't remember reading about in his book. I didn't realize that Gladys had three sons, as I thought she only had two. I also didn't know that one of them was tragically shot and killed in the early 90's. She really suffered through a lot. It sounds like she was a great mother, in addition to being a pioneering artist.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks for sharing this great article. I had read Mark Taylor's book on the Marvelettes over a decade ago and it was a decent read. This article provided some additional information that I don't remember reading about in his book. I didn't realize that Gladys had three sons, as I thought she only had two. I also didn't know that one of them was tragically shot and killed in the early 90's. She really suffered through a lot. It sounds like she was a great mother, in addition to being a pioneering artist.

I never heard that about Gladys' son either, though I know that Katherine's son Jason [[Tony) Schaffner died the same way, and probably around the same time in the early 90s. I remember the article [[which I think I ran across when I was looking at the collectables I was posting here) had the headline: "Jason [[Tony) Schaffner [has died]...he 'never met a stranger'" [according to his mother].

[[Beleated) Happy 75th Birthday in Paradise to The Mavelettes' Gladys Horton.