[REMOVE ADS]

Diana's "hiccup" trivia question

During the 60s Diana Ross stole a little gimmick from Jayne Mansfield when she starting doing a little hiccup, best heard on the Love Is Here and Now You're Gone recording. She began using this to the point of distraction during the live act. But this was not the first recording where Diana did this.

There were two previous recordings [[not counting releases long after the group disbanded) where Diana did her little hiccup. Can any of you guys name those two tracks?

Doesn't she insert a hiccup on Baby Love? During the oooh/need you/yeah part?

I didn't know she took that from Jayne Mansfield. Interesting.

That allegation is unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Doesn't she insert a hiccup on Baby Love? During the oooh/need you/yeah part?
    Yep and there is one more Floy, from the same year

Honestly, I love those little vocal affectations like Diana's hiccup in "Love Is Here" or Michael's "Hee-hee" or his other countless vocal tics like that. It adds character I think.

yes and no - there are times when it plays well for diana. frankly this hiccup in Baby Love is so subtle i've never really noticed it. and Love Is Here isn't overpowering with hiccups.

But much of her vocals for TCB are too heavy with it. Like when the group sings You Keep Me Hangin On. it's too contrived and affected IMO

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yes and no - there are times when it plays well for diana. frankly this hiccup in Baby Love is so subtle i've never really noticed it. and Love Is Here isn't overpowering with hiccups.

But much of her vocals for TCB are too heavy with it. Like when the group sings You Keep Me Hangin On. it's too contrived and affected IMO
    Yes sup fan, on TCB's Keep Me Hangin' on it was virtually after every verse. It sounded more like a medical condition than something sexy

and it was louder and longer, if you can describe it that way. On Baby Love it's just a little tick of her voice. on TCB it's this wild sound that almost makes you rewind the tape to see if she's flipping her head in some sort of tourette's seizure lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    and it was louder and longer, if you can describe it that way. On Baby Love it's just a little tick of her voice. on TCB it's this wild sound that almost makes you rewind the tape to see if she's flipping her head in some sort of tourette's seizure lol
    But no one has guessed the other track she hiccuped on after Baby Love

Ooooh! I think I finally got it! "A Hard Day's Night"?

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Ooooh! I think I finally got it! "A Hard Day's Night"?
    Good ear Floy, just slips one in during the tight three part harmony

I always considered the whole "Talk of the Town" album to be way too full of "hiccups" which is the main reason I seldom revisit it. Everything else about it is wonderful to me; however, that constant sound is very annoying. In all of the other instances where Diana has done this; I found it rather cute.

I. Love. This. Thread. Ok, I love Jayne Mansfield, but hadn't put two and two together that Diana's little "hiccup" came from Jayne. At any rate, I do remember when I first heard it on "Love Is Here", I thought, "well now, that's something new!"

You know though, this discussion of Diana's hiccup getting out of control is kinda like when Elvis Presly started really ratcheting up the vibrato on his vocals as the years went by. Funny how singers will develop an affectation of sorts and then it nearly becomes more like a caricature of their own singing style over time.

I just thought she had gas.

I didn't know she sang , much less hiccuped :

Connie Francis successfully used the hiccup in Stupid Cupid and other songs. I think this influenced Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I didn't know she sang , much less hiccuped :

Yes, she had a successful nightclub act.