[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Putting Motown Into The Context Of Its Time

This is a little something I came across in a book I hadn't read in some time. Struck me as an excellent blueprint of how Berry Gordy may have developed his psychology concerning just what the Motown Sound had to be for success across the board.

"To achieve lasting success in the white market, with all its opportunities for wealth...it was not possible to achieve such fame upon the vocal talents of a black group in isolation. Their records required an extra sophistication. To reach the white market and remain successful in it neccessitated surrounding black groups with the customary trappings of the popular white singer. Harmony was saccrificed as a chorus of chanting girls, elaborate percussion, a string orchestra and a heavenly choir became the norm. For the casual listener, it became increasingly difficult to distinguish a record made by a group from one made by a solo performer. Apart from the lead singer, the remainder of the group were now content to mouth an unobtrusive drift of stereotyped "oohs" and "aahs." There was little point in doing anything else for, very soon, even this small contribution was drowned amidst a welter of instrumental combinations. Moreover, a female chours...allowed no room for the exquisite harmony for which black groups had previously been noted."
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 05-26-2020 at 12:41 AM.