[REMOVE ADS]

Should Diana Ross Use Autotune On Her New Release?

Just relistening to Tracee's foray into modern music making, and it got me to thinking:

Should Diana Ross , as a way of sounding more contemporary , incorporate auto-tune into her current project??

Or maybe another way to ask it is, "Will she?"

She probably won’t but if everyone else does it, maybe “they” will

Been there, done that. She already used this almost 40 years ago on “Muscles”. It was also used on the remix of “Not over you yet”.

She better don't. I heard a very very minimal amount of autotune being used on I Love You for vocal processing/correction. Patti's last album was ruined by that autotune vocal filter. They layed it on heavy. So I hope she doesn't use it at all, in any way, shape or form.

Wasn't she on Oprah and she dismissed artists that needed to use Autotune?

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Been there, done that. She already used this almost 40 years ago on “Muscles”. It was also used on the remix of “Not over you yet”.
    I didn’t think she used Autotune on Muscles. I saw her live in concert when the record was first released and she sounded the same as the record.

Maybe I’m confusing auto tune with something else. I’m referring to her voice when she sings the part “muscle man I want to love you, in the sun oil on your body......”

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Maybe I’m confusing auto tune with something else. I’m referring to her voice when she sings the part “muscle man I want to love you, in the sun oil on your body......”
    Maybe I’m wrong. Can you please explain to me what exactly is Autotune?

At this point I’m not sure either.

Nooooo, she should take the time to redub the flat and sharp notes.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Maybe I’m wrong. Can you please explain to me what exactly is Autotune?
    I believe autotune corrects sharp or flat notes, basically keeping one in tune. It can also be used for effect. But it wasn't used on MUSCLES, as it wasn't invented until the late 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I believe autotune corrects sharp or flat notes, basically keeping one in tune. It can also be used for effect. But it wasn't used on MUSCLES, as it wasn't invented until the late 90s.
    Yes “auto tune” is the computerized processing of a vocal. So that is new method/terminology. But certainly other methods were used before the nineties. Something was used for “Muscles”.
    Last edited by khansperac; 05-26-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Never knew this , there was a correction process used on Diana's vocals heard on MUSCLES?
    Now I'm trying to imagine Michael approaching her with that bit of news, sheepishly: "Uh , excuse me Miss Ross , but could I talk to you about something, if you've got a moment that is ?" hee hee hee....

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Nooooo, she should take the time to redub the flat and sharp notes.
    .... ha ha !

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Never knew this , there was a correction process used on Diana's vocals heard on MUSCLES?
    Now I'm trying to imagine Michael approaching her with that bit of news, sheepishly: "Uh , excuse me Miss Ross , but could I talk to you about something, if you've got a moment that is ?" hee hee hee....
    My understanding of auto tune is that it can either be used as a correction process or be used as an effect. Cher’s “Believe” is an example of the auto tune effect.

I believe [[no pun intended) that on BELIEVE the auto-tune is set in its exaggerated correction mode for each of the many times Cher strays into sour note territory [[ sorry Cher! lol!)

As for MUSCLES, giving it a listen , I 'm not hearing anything too special being done [[?) in the part you quote khansperac [[ @ 2:30?) , what I'm hearing is some whispery "pillow talk" similar to Sylvias, w/some reverb and voice overlay possibly including Michaels [[?)

that's what I'm hearing anyway.

Thanks for posting the video Boogiedown. Yes that is the part I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Bahahaa!! Love that

Definitely no auto-tune on Muscles. Auto-tune is altogether different from using a vocal filter/effect/reverb.

Definitely no auto-tune on Muscles. Auto-tune is altogether different from using a vocal filter/effect/reverb.[/QUOTE]

Ross was in top vocal form, and would have had no reason to use Autotune during this period of her career. Autotune is for young and old singers who have difficulty staying on pitch. Sinatra used it at the end of his career during live performances.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Bahahaa!! Love that

Definitely no auto-tune on Muscles. Auto-tune is altogether different from using a vocal filter/effect/reverb.
    I agree. I saw her live when Muscles was just released. And she sounded just like the record. Her vocals at that time where in top form.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Ross was in top vocal form, and would have had no reason to use Autotune during this period of her career. Autotune is for young and old singers who have difficulty staying on pitch. Sinatra used it at the end of his career during live performances.[/QUOTE]do you think? I know that Dionne Warwick was one of the very first to use it for her record. This was reveled innocently by her great friend Sacha Distel.

Barbra's fans say she may use this on some tracks but not on her live performances.