[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross 'Didn't Understand' Why 'I'm Coming Out' Was a Gay Anthem

There was that incident after Frankie Crocker told her what the song was, she came back to Nile's house crying, "you're trying to ruin my career?" But she eventually put it out and it not only became one of her biggest hits but became a huge anthem for the LGBT community, especially to gay men. Since it's come out, no pun intended, she's used that as her opener.

"I'm Coming Out" is one of the best global empowerment songs E V E R ! Ms. Ross had the pulse of the clubs with this hit. Upholds quite well today!

I thought that it was a song about a hostage situation.

I thought it was her response to the COVID stay-at-home mandate !!

It's funny because Nile Rodgers has told this story dozens of times, and each time the details change slightly, in regards to what he actually told Ms. Ross about the song at the time and her supposed reaction. He now makes it sound like he was giggling in the corner, after knowingly writing a gay anthem song and having Ms. Ross record it unaware. I'm sure she was not completely oblivious, but perhaps initially questioned the meaning and how people would perceive her, in light of releasing this song. For him to say something like, "Oooo she didn't know what 'coming out' meant!" To be fair, I don't think a lot of straight people knew what that phrase meant in 1980. I know Ms. Ross already had a strong connection with her gay audience through different avenues at that time. But in my opinion, the concept of 'coming out' was not as prevalent as it is now. The gay scene was still sort of secret and an "underground" thing when she would have recorded the song. So whether she actually didn't initially understand the meaning of the song or the implications...you have to think about that in the context of those times and then it makes sense, instead of simply being a funny headline.
    Last edited by carlo; 05-27-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    It's funny because Nile Rodgers has told this story dozens of times, and each time the details change slightly, in regards to what he actually told Ms. Ross about the song at the time and her supposed reaction. He now makes it sound like he was giggling in the corner, after knowingly writing a gay anthem song and having Ms. Ross record it unaware. I'm sure she was not completely oblivious, but perhaps initially questioned the meaning and how people would perceive her, in light of releasing this song. For him to say something like, "Oooo she didn't know what 'coming out' meant!" To be fair, I don't think a lot of straight people knew what that phrase meant in 1980. I know Ms. Ross already had a strong connection with her gay audience through different avenues at that time. But in my opinion, the concept of 'coming out' was not as prevalent as it is now. The gay scene was still sort of secret and an "underground" thing when she would have recorded the song. So whether she actually didn't initially understand the meaning of the song or the implications...you have to think about that in the context of those times and then it makes sense, instead of simply being a funny headline.
    Perfectly stated, Carlo.

This is a song celebrating personal empowerment. This is how this song was received in 1980. I don't recall any controversy or confusion.

Of course, those of us in the gay community, as well as being Diana Ross fans, gladly celebrated this song and used it as our anthem.

Good post.

Whenever I read accounts repeating this story , they seem to include words like "supposedly" , as in "it makes for a good story , but ... "

IOW--- We're to believe that in 1980!, Diana Ross, whose gay fan base has always been one that takes up the first eight rows of her concerts, she had no idea, that "I'm coming out" was a wink and a nod in their direction?

Here's the deal [[ imo) as someone who was active in the dance and record scene at the time of its release ....I can tell you the gay scene had no need to try to figure out the obvious when it came to this song.
    The trick , then, was to try to underplay it to the masses. This project came out right in the middle of the big anti-disco revolt and disco was being actively marginalized by the record industry who no longer wanted anything to do with this overly expensive enterprise.

So as part of this campaign, especially from the established hard core rock camp who were all too eager to help to extinguish this burgeoning revenue siphoning threat, part of their ploy was the whispering of, " this disco stuff , you know this is f*g music , right??".

And now in this strategically marginalized environment , along comes I'M COMING OUT , which was a cut on this new disco oriented package by Diana Ross, produced by one of discos biggest names , Chic, no less, already a big gamble in of itself in these anti-disco times. What this risky release definitely didn't need to do was to tilt itself in a certain direction that might hurt its sales. So, while IM COMING OUT was included as a part of the package , it wasn't highlighted. [[The entire project was launched low-key. Motown was so uncertain of the possible reception of this LP, it didn't release a single for a full month!) [[and then surprise surprise , it wasn't I'M COMING OUT).

But what happened was, even though Motown didn't court them with this release in any way, [[ no 12"ers, no promos) the gay clubs nonetheless still existed and were hungry for more of this music , as were the straight ones , and as it would turn out, so was the music listening public at large. I'M COMING OUT was accepted with open arms and had become a favorite cut off the LP in the clubs and on urban radio.
    Motown then released it as the second single, but just to be safe , and to not risk losing the support of what was turning out to be Diana's biggest LP of her career , the position about this record was, "I'M COMING OUT is somehow a gay concept??? .
    Why, we don't know what you're talking about!!"

LOL!!!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-28-2020 at 06:04 PM.

True. "Coming out" had [[and has) a lot of different meanings but at that point, I don't think many used it as something prevalent in the gay community, that was much later. And as you stated, Diana was WELL AWARE she had a gay following going back to the Supremes days. So why would she be confused about the meaning? Plus she lived in West Hollywood, a huge gay enclave to this day, for years.