[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross & The Supremes Anthology - Which Version Is The Best?

Which of the “Anthology” releases do you think is the best?

3 x LP - 1974

2 x CD - 1986

2 x CD - 1994

2 x CD - 2001

If it's Diana Ross & the Supremes, I choose the 2001 edition.

If it's The Supremes I choose the 1986 edition, adding Buttered Popcorn, Mother Dear, Long Gone Lover, Everything's Good About You, He's All I Got, Remove This Doubt, Then and Keep An Eye. [[Lol)

What I like about the 2001 version is that is shows how the producers tried to make the collection not only interesting for the casual listeners who just wanted to have a greatest hits collection, but also for the more invested Motown fans, with such special songs as "Things Are Changing," "He," "The Nitty Gritty," "Where Do I Go/Good Morning Starshine," and "Rhythm of Life" [[among others), as well as some alternate versions of the well-known songs [[and of course, the "extended" Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart, which was less extended than I hoped it would be). Nice to see that folks such as George, Harry, and Andy have treated the Motown legacy with so much care and used every opportunity that the corporate world offers to also include something for that small group of hardcore fans.

I loved the 74 version but wasn't impressed with the two beatle covers included on side 5. I would preferred more gems such as Stormy... Manhatten...

I'd have to say 2001 also. wasn't the mid-90s one using the mono versions of the hits? i just prefer the stereo ones. also the sound quality on 01 is better than the 80s one

The 1974 vinyl is still my favorite of all the ANTHOLOGYs. I have many special memories of it, beginning with collecting all my birthday money to buy it. Then to bring home this great package with three albums of excellent music and a nice color booklet to boot.

That said, the subsequent editions have been great as well but none inspire the same feeling in me as the 1974 version. However, I do give special mention to the 2001 version as it includes the longer fade on GOOD NEWS, with Flo starting to let it rip.

Speaking of, its been a very long time since Universal has released a Supremes Anthology. Are they not invested in releasing anthologies anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The 1974 vinyl is still my favorite of all the ANTHOLOGYs. I have many special memories of it, beginning with collecting all my birthday money to buy it. Then to bring home this great package with three albums of excellent music and a nice color booklet to boot.

That said, the subsequent editions have been great as well but none inspire the same feeling in me as the 1974 version. However, I do give special mention to the 2001 version as it includes the longer fade on GOOD NEWS, with Flo starting to let it rip.
    This is my sentimental favorite, too. Excited about a deluxe three-disc album set. The Temptations Anthology had come out first, so I was very happy Motown decided to release a DRATS Anthology.

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    Which of the “Anthology” releases do you think is the best?

3 x LP - 1974

2 x CD - 1986

2 x CD - 1994

2 x CD - 2001
    2001. [[But I think you mean 2000 if you're referring to the "pink box").

I thought 1967 would also count as an Anthology. That would be my second fav other than the "pink box" set.

I listen mostly to "The Story of the Supremes" Not officially an anthology but a compilation released in 2008. I think it was released because of an exhibition here in the UK of something Supremes related. It contains all the big hits, including 70's, few outtakes and LP fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    2001. [[But I think you mean 2000 if you're referring to the "pink box").

I thought 1967 would also count as an Anthology. That would be my second fav other than the "pink box" set.
    1974 Anthology 3-LP:
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-A.../master/100647

1986 Anthology 2-CD:
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T.../master/250082

1995 Anthology 2-CD:
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T.../master/552390

2001 Anthology 2-CD:
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T...master/1502097

I think these are the only official releases titled "Anthology". All other compilations are titled "Best" or "Greatest Hits" etc. Although the 1995 release does not show "Anthology" in the title on Discogs, the word "Anthology" appears on the CD box, the CD booklet cover, and the CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    1974 Anthology 3-LP:
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-A.../master/100647

1986 Anthology 2-CD:
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T.../master/250082

1995 Anthology 2-CD:
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T.../master/552390

2001 Anthology 2-CD:
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T...master/1502097

I think these are the only official releases titled "Anthology". All other compilations are titled "Best" or "Greatest Hits" etc. Although the 1995 release does not show "Anthology" in the title on Discogs, the word "Anthology" appears on the CD box, the CD booklet cover, and the CDs.
    Got it. Then my vote goes to the 1986 release.

It's too hard for me to choose one, as I love the 1974 anthology, since it was THE release that introduced me to the Supremes, since my late Dad had a copy in his music collection. There was something about that silver packaging with the three artistic portraits on each panel for the three LP's...I was five years old and just obsessed with those visuals, as much as the music itself. However, the 1995 CD version was the first Supremes release that I ever owned [[I was in Grade 3 and convinced my Dad to buy me this one instead of the Ultimate Collection lol), and I was obsessed with that one too. It also introduced me to the 70's Supremes. And let's not forget the amazing 2002 Anthology for the 70's Supremes!

I'll have to choose the 1974 version, as that one paved the way for everything else. I'm still waiting and wishing that our Japanese friends at Universal Japan might one day release a CD set of the '74 version in a mini LP cardboard sleeve replica, with the foldout and everything. How cool would that be? Lol. For real.

The 1974 version is what introduced me to the Supremes.
    Got it for Christmas that year as Diana was back on the charts with mahogany movie and soundtrack.
    Loved the booklet inside.maybe me wanting more n here I am still wanting more

I really think the 2001 version was the best one. I remember I was really exciting when I got that one, especially for that extended fade on "Love Is Like An Itchin".