[REMOVE ADS]

Soul TV Show Is Available For Purchase [[31 programs)

Not sure who else has this for sale but I saw it here first and it's on sale to boot: https://www.thevideobeat.com/rock-ro...t-1970-72.html

I know others have been waiting to get these just like me. I saw them showing on my Samsung TV's, Channel Plus selections last Sunday but my DVR doesn't have those stations, so no recording. The picture quality was nice but price is high also.

Add Your Review

Availability: In Stock

FormatVD

Price:$120.00
    Qty:

Add to Cart
    or Add to Wishlist
    Tell a Friend
    Bookmark and Share

SOUL! TV SERIES - 31 COMELETE EPISODES 1970-73

U.S. TV show. 16-disc set. 31 one-hour, broadcast episodes. SOUL! was a breakthrough in television programming. Created by and for African Americans, the show presented R&B, soul, funk, Latin, and jazz musicians, and also writers, poets, actors, philosophers, and activists. The focus was on celebrating and advancing black culture. Highly recommended.

SOUL! was produced in New York City and created primarily for the NYC market. SOUL! featured major musical artists and was filmed in front of a studio audience. Artists on SOUL! *performed live* which resulted in different versions of hit songs and performances that are unique to SOUL!

SOUL! also featured prominent writers, activists and thinkers of the black community who powerfully spoke about the injustices of white America.

For detailed episode-by-episode descriptions, please see individual SOUL! volumes.

By purchasing SOUL! as a set on this page, you will save 30% over purchasing individual volumes one at a time. Order now!

Note: This SOUL! set comes on 16 high quality discs and is assembled in chronological order. The discs come in cases with colorful wrap around jackets that list every artist and performance. While this set is not the complete run of the SOUL! series, it is a complete run of all the currently existing episodes.
    Last edited by mr_june; 05-22-2020 at 10:15 AM.

This show was the epitome of Black television being timely, relevant and celebratory. Soul
    Train later was indeed entertaining but Ellis Hazlip's creation went that extra mile. A lot of
    the episodes are available to watch on youtube. Nikki Giovanni introducing The Delfonics
    and The New Birth Inc in a mini concert being my favorites,still I think I will purchase this
    collection...This can be my own stimulus package....Thanks for posting it...

Thanks for sharing the news Mr. June. It's great that all of the episodes of Soul! are available on DVD. I still remember watching the series when it was on PBS in the early '70s and there were a lot of great performances [[and discussions) on that show.

You both are welcome. I would have been just as glad if one of you had posted it. I got 3 of the shows. I'm a big Archie Bell & The Drells and Mandrill fan so I made sure to get those. Stevie Wonder is on another program singing about 5 of his songs also. There are missing shows though. I'd like to get the shows that feature The Five Stair Steps and The Intruders just to name a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    You both are welcome. I would have been just as glad if one of you had posted it. I got 3 of the shows. I'm a big Archie Bell & The Drells and Mandrill fan so I made sure to get those. Stevie Wonder is on another program singing about 5 of his songs also. There are missing shows though. I'd like to get the shows that feature The Five Stair Steps and The Intruders just to name a couple.
    Is this an official release? What is the video quality? Thanks.

That is a good question. The Beat has been around for some years now and they have a ton of teenage movies from the 50's, 60's & 70's. I have bought disc featuring Nina Simone in concert, The TNT show, and Hullabaloo episodes with vintage commercials. It's worth finding out if this is indeed official. PQ on the shows I mentioned are good.

I'm assuming this is an unofficial release like the complete SHINDIG! that came out a while back.

I also see 24 episodes are available on Amazon Prime.

I haven't heard back from The Beat but if it was official, the DVD case would not be made and designed by them. I watched the shows with Mandrill, Archie Bell, LaBell, The Persuasions, Bobby Hebb and others and the PQ is good.

There is no way that this is official.

The Stevie Wonder and Al Green shows were due to be officially released on DVD in the UK in 2006. They were cancelled at the last minute owing to rights issues...but copies were manufactured, as I have both titles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stevie-Wond.../dp/B000AJIASA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Al-Green-Li.../dp/B000AJIAVC

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'm assuming this is an unofficial release like the complete SHINDIG! that came out a while back.

I also see 24 episodes are available on Amazon Prime.

Thanks for the heads up about Amazon Prime!!!!

Maryland Public Television is airing a special about the SOUL! tv show in a few days. On Friday they are showing a preview show with a local Q and A on their web streaming platform. You have to RSVP to see it.

https://ovee.itvs.org/screenings/a83rk

Quote Originally Posted by destruction View Post
    Maryland Public Television is airing a special about the SOUL! tv show in a few days. On Friday they are showing a preview show with a local Q and A on their web streaming platform. You have to RSVP to see it.

https://ovee.itvs.org/screenings/a83rk
    Fans should check the listings for their local PBS stations as the MR. SOUL! film is probably airing on many of them, as are other great programs celebrating Black History Month.

MR SOUL will featured on Independent Lens tomorrow night on PBS in the NY area

Independent Lens [[S22 E9) NEW
    13 13HDCCStereoHDTV14
    Monday Feb 21, 10:00PM-11:30PM
    Ellis Haizlip creates the public television series "SOUL!" in 1968, one of the first platforms to promote the Black Arts Movement.