[REMOVE ADS]

Discussion: Supremes, Solo and/or Group, Revisit Catalog

Was thinking about Stevie's "All I Do" the other day. It's so interesting to me that in 1980 he'd reach back to unreleased songs on Brenda H and Tammi T that he had co-written back in 65/66 and managed to get himself a hit. Also thought of Aretha covering "Sweet Bitter Love" for Who's Zoomin Who approximately 20 years after doing it the first time. Got me to thinking, of the Supremes, are there any songs [[non MOR or specialty) recorded [[released or unreleased) by the group in the 60s that you think might have been a good idea for the 70s groupings to revisit? Any songs from the Supremes catalog of the 60s that you think could have been re-worked for Diana and/or Mary [[or any other Supreme) during their solo careers?

The one song that quickly comes to my mind is "A Breath Taking Guy". I think it would've been so dope for JMC to re-record this one for Floy Joy in a slow, sexy, extended version. Jean or Mary on lead, either one I suspect would work, but I'm betting Mary is the better option here.

While I'm mostly neg on the idea of MSC/MSS doing disco, I wonder if a disco version of "Itchin" would've worked. I can hear Scherrie, or even Susaye, tearing through it. Might have made some noise.

It's hard to imagine Diana touching the Supremes' big hits, but I wonder how well a re-worked "Hangin On" would have done for her in the 80s before Kim Wilds did her thing with it? [[Keep in mind there's almost zero chance Diana would've covered Motown after leaving, but this is all for discussion's sake.) It seems like the perfect song to reemerge in the 80s.

Diana seemed to rework Itching and hanging on in the early 80’s live. They seemed more rock. In the early 2000’s it was said that she re-recorded Supreme songs with Nile Rogers. They were never released.

i think there's a lot of potential here. And for a contemporary album by Miss Ross. I don't know that the general public is hugely interested in all new studio content from her.

Imagine her doing My World but as the slow burn like Jean and Scherrie did live in the 70s. an almost jazzy version. Or for that matter, i think MSS recording it would have worked well too. I could hear a version similar to the tone and sound of Sweet Dream Machine

Other than that, i'm more intrigued by a contemporary "songbook" style approach now versus the 70s Sups taking on 60s material.

Well RanRan, I didn’t like the idea on first reading it, but a disco version of "Itching" actually sounds great

well we basically had a disco version of Itching on that Sups medley. which was fine i guess. it was never a real favorite of mine though

been thinking about how some of the hits could be redone

Stoned Love - of course i adore the original. but if you read the lyrics, they're quite spiritual and so what about this song being sung more as a prayer? and acoustic guitar and quite solemn.

Nathan Jones could have been disco-fied

MSS doing a disco version of Forever Came Today

Personally....I always go for songs that didn't make it the first time out.
    1. Forever came today needed another twist or mix.great vocal n lyrics but it seemed unfinished to me.
    2.Touch I would have went for a single lead..in this case Mary. New mix.
    3. Your wonderful sweet sweet love. Funky. Could be a funky remix hit.
    4.let yourself go. Could be a huge disco hit..
    5.bend a little. Gem.love it.

Ross solo.
    1 one love in my lifetime...funky....could be a dance hit.
    2 .never say I don't love you
    3 .living Livin giving.
    4 .crimes of passion how was this over looked as a single.
    5.not over you yet .not released in USA????what.song is slammin

I like to see Surrender get a new life......