[REMOVE ADS]

Betty Wright has passed!

It’s been confirmed by her niece. 3 legends gone in two days! Rest well, Ms. Wright!

I was just watching her yesterday in a tribute to Chaka Khan. Lord have mercy. Betty was very talented, very special. She was real and approached her music that was enjoyed most by REAL, everyday people. You were one of the best baby! Thank you and God Bless.

Marv

Clean Up Woman been on my playlist for years! Just two months ago I was enjoying her “Unsung” episode, now this. I knew she was sick, but not that sick. I’m sure we’ll get more details real soon!

R I P

edafan

This news is spreading like crazy behind the scenes of the major news outlets at this moment but yes, I'm sad to hear that it's true. I've been a fan of Betty since she sang
    Girls, You Can't Do What The Guys Do. She was a hell of a talent.One of my favorites...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KZG3O5sWrU
    RIP...

I've been braced for this, but still...these past two days have been too much. Rest well, Miss Wright...well done.

May she Rest in Peace.

So very sad. RIP Betty Wright.

Definitely sad news. Loved her sassy style.

Rest In Peace Betty Wright. Thank you for the music.

When it came out in 1975 "Where Is The Love?" instantly became my absolute most favorite song to dance to. Over the years the song has lost none of it's appeal to me. I still love it and consider it a classic. Rightly, Wright took home a Grammy for co-writing the song.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post

When it came out in 1975 "Where Is The Love?" instantly became my absolute most favorite song to dance to. Over the years the song has lost none of it's appeal to me. I still love it and consider it a classic. Rightly, Wright took home a Grammy for co-writing the song.
    WHERE IS THE LOVE peaked on the disco chart at #2 in '75. A big club dance record for sure, charting for 22 weeks.... about the longest a record could possibly last on the persnickety disco chart.

What a multi talented lady. My favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orYYFJ_ymLc

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post

She also was the female voice on Peter Brown's classic "Dance With Me" from 1978. They layered Betty's voice over and over for that record.

From USA Today Grammy-winning R&B singer Betty Wright dies at 66, reports say

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...66/3105706001/

I mentioned to a life long friend today the passing of Betty Wright . She recalled a time of our coming back from LA and as was typical for me, I was fiddling with the radio of my van , purposely seeking out the various stations we could only get from being in the LA area. On came CLEAN UP WOMAN and I excitedly asked Pam if she knew of the song. No she was hearing it for the first time [[she didn't share my willingness to tolerate the dominate static of far away stations required to hear otherwise unattainable music).
    CLEAN UP WOMAN would eventually become a crossover hit and make its way to our local stations , but by then I'd already purchased the 45 and had thoroughly played the grooves out of it.

Year's later, Wright's latest release, LIVE AND MORE got enthusiastic play by me in the SF business district record store I worked in.

Thank you Betty Wright. RIP

Rest In Peace, Betty Wright. It was so sad hearing this yesterday. Betty Wright at only 14 became a pioneer of Florida Soul when "Girls Can't Do What the Guys Do " became a National Hit.I was so proud of her & loved & cherished all her music that followed.

Can't forget Betty dropping bombs at the close of this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoHbopTYcy8

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Can't forget Betty dropping bombs at the close of this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoHbopTYcy8
    Oh yeah! LOL! " I was almost already on my job by now,but I forgot my sweater ......." Rest in peace both Richard and Betty. Thanks Splanky!

What??? Damn... Sweet betty wright..r.i.p.

Methinks her bookend to Clean Up is No Pain, No Gain. Especially the extended mix.

She apparently had spent years battling cancer!

That's what the autopsy concluded: complications from cancer. Cancer claimed Betty and Richard. SMH

Betty was TOO YOUNG at 66 to go but she left behind such a huge legacy.