[REMOVE ADS]

Chris Clark- If You Should Walk Away

Was anyone else as taken aback by this when they heard it on the Chris Clark Soul Sounds album? I was jarred a bit into adult territory when I first heard this as a 17 year-old. The subject matter isn't typical Motown, at all. Even the production was something much more wide-screen than I had expected.

I was struck by how heartfelt Chris sounded on this one as if it was coming from personal experience. I don't have to get into anyone's history, but I also thought perhaps this one may have cut a little close to the bone for Chris. It's also very unique to have "the other woman" telling her lover to go back home and "be a man." Still, the lyrics reflect the conflicting emotions as Chris is aslo, in a passive-aggressive way, begging this man to stay.

After hearing this, it took awhile for me to move on to the rest of the album; this one was something completely special and it left me a little chilled- in a good way.

You Should Walk Away [[Frank Wilson-Berry Gordy) published Jobete 15-Aug-67

Chris Clark; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 08-Aug-67 ; produced by Frank Wilson

08-Aug-67 [acetate]; 45 [[M): N-IDM-6607-FNLL
    Aug-67; LP [[S): Motown S664 Soul Sounds
    Aug-67; LP [[M): Motown M664 Soul Sounds
    07-Mar-05; CD [[S): Motown 981 9564 The Motown Collection [UK]
    09-Apr-08; CD [[S): Reel Music B0012412-02 Soul Sounds

I love this track...this and "Born to love you" are the highlights of the LP for me

Stunning track WaitingWatching!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Stunning track WaitingWatching!!
    Glad you like it Tom. This one just grips me every time I hear it.

This song was one Berry Gordy was especially passionate about. And since he and Chris were sweethearts around this period, I've always felt she gave this one her all. It's heartfelt. And it shows. It's a stunner.
    And of course not surprisingly Diana got her turn recording it shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Glad you like it Tom. This one just grips me every time I hear it.
    I adore this song one of CC's best in my opinion - I've tried to persuade her to include this is her stage repertoire but often when she is restricted to four songs in a show others beat it to the punch.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I adore this song one of CC's best in my opinion - I've tried to persuade her to include this is her stage repertoire but often when she is restricted to four songs in a show others beat it to the punch.
    That's interesting. "If You Should Walk Away" would definitely be interesting to hear live. It's so distinctly different from the usual Motown rave-up, I even thought it was years ahead of its time. The subject matter isn't all that different from what you heard when the "Singer/Songwriter" era blossomed in the 70s. You could slot this in right along with material by Carole King or Carly Simon.