[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1

    Little Richard Has Died

    Last edited by RTA6226; 05-09-2020 at 10:25 AM.

  2. #2

    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/little-richard-dead_n_5eb6b59bc5b69c4b317b4a49?utm_source=main_fb &ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063&utm_medium=facebook&ut m_campaign=hp_fb_pages&fbclid=IwAR09z-MqXZBnLBOVeGqu99tMJOJdKU87FDL8PtrrlH74wp6VabX2Q7TSpU&f bclid=IwAR3k4QVwdkQljLwy5WNiUH06Bd8xUrnKlPfA-OZLcZ3zVQ5_VGLRb3-Dkvo&fbclid=IwAR1powLPGzzt8GHllqVPJ1wR9R-kGtXsF794lmYyks-P33Vyhqk9OsjdGAQ

    They say no cause of death has been determined yet.
    I met him at a concert once. He was SO nice. Once when I went to the R & R HOF Museum the staff there and I got into a conversation about him and they raved about how nice he was. RIP Little Richard.
    Last edited by RTA6226; 05-09-2020 at 10:31 AM.

  3. #3
    I just saw it trending. Rest in peace Richard. You were the architect of Rock and Roll!

  4. #4
    The sax players in his band knew no equal!!!!!!!!
    RIP.....God needs you now

  5. #5

  6. #6
    I saw him in concert many years ago. What an entertainer. May he Rest In Peace.

  7. #7
    RIP

    edafan

  8. #8
    Just found out and I'm in shock. RIP Richard "Little Richard" Penniman.



  9. #9
    The originator--the innovator--the emancipator. Never be another quite like him. Rise in power.
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-09-2020 at 01:26 PM.

  10. #10
    Well put sans. He Deserved much more.

  11. #11
    This is sad news. Chuck Berry added the guitars and structure to rock 'n roll, Jimi added the edge and took psychodelia to a new level, and Little Richard created the on-stage spectacle and sang about things that (mostly white) parents definitely didn't wantt their kids to hear. Between them, they created a lot of what became recognized as rock for generations. Three of rock's Mount Rushmore and I don't know who the fourth is. And now they're all gone.

    A few years ago, someone told me that as a child, my uncle (who suffered his entire life from Muscular Dystrophy) was struggling to walk home one day. A limousine pulled up beside him and asked if he'd like a ride and he accepted. The car took him to his home in Norfolk, Virginia and the guy in the back got out and went to meet his family. Once inside, he took the time to witness for them because he had just finished preaching in town. My family converted to Seventh-Day Adventism that day and most of them are strict adherents even now. The man who gave my uncle a ride was Little Richard.

    I always was a fan but when I heard that recount, it blew my mind. He's even bigger in my heart than he was before. Rest In Music, Brother Richard.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    This is sad news. Chuck Berry added the guitars and structure to rock 'n roll, Jimi added the edge and took psychodelia to a new level, and Little Richard created the on-stage spectacle and sang about things that (mostly white) parents definitely didn't wantt their kids to hear. Between them, they created a lot of what became recognized as rock for generations. Three of rock's Mount Rushmore and I don't know who the fourth is. And now they're all gone.

    A few years ago, someone told me that as a child, my uncle (who suffered his entire life from Muscular Dystrophy) was struggling to walk home one day. A limousine pulled up beside him and asked if he'd like a ride and he accepted. The car took him to his home in Norfolk, Virginia and the guy in the back got out and went to meet his family. Once inside, he took the time to witness for them because he had just finished preaching in town. My family converted to Seventh-Day Adventism that day and most of them are strict adherents even now. The man who gave my uncle a ride was Little Richard.

    I always was a fan but when I heard that recount, it blew my mind. He's even bigger in my heart than he was before. Rest In Music, Brother Richard.
    That is so wonderful Jerry. I want to add how happy and emotional Richard became when he learned that Michael Jackson was working to get his masters to his recordings back to him. Many people loved Richard.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    This is sad news. Chuck Berry added the guitars and structure to rock 'n roll, Jimi added the edge and took psychodelia to a new level, and Little Richard created the on-stage spectacle and sang about things that (mostly white) parents definitely didn't wantt their kids to hear. Between them, they created a lot of what became recognized as rock for generations. Three of rock's Mount Rushmore and I don't know who the fourth is. And now they're all gone.

    A few years ago, someone told me that as a child, my uncle (who suffered his entire life from Muscular Dystrophy) was struggling to walk home one day. A limousine pulled up beside him and asked if he'd like a ride and he accepted. The car took him to his home in Norfolk, Virginia and the guy in the back got out and went to meet his family. Once inside, he took the time to witness for them because he had just finished preaching in town. My family converted to Seventh-Day Adventism that day and most of them are strict adherents even now. The man who gave my uncle a ride was Little Richard.

    I always was a fan but when I heard that recount, it blew my mind. He's even bigger in my heart than he was before. Rest In Music, Brother Richard.
    Wonderful account, Jer. And I submit JB as the 4th Mt. Rushmore figure. Or Tina.

  14. #14
    It's Little Richard (1964) | Legendary TV Special


  15. #15
    The Architect of Rock and Roll! Some despised him because of that fact! I always admired him for taking his proper credit for what he played a major part in creating when the "industry" wanted to steal it from him and give it to Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley. Thank you, thank you, Richard. God Bless you. Rest in peace now.

  16. #16
    Rest In Peace, Little Richard.

    You were somethin’ else!

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7swbqJUdR9g

  17. #17
    "It all really started with Little Richard."- James Brown
    RIP, sir...

  18. #18
    Jagger, Dylan, Quincy Jones and Others React to Death of Little Richard

    https://www.wavy.com/entertainment-n...ittle-richard/

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It's Little Richard (1964) | Legendary TV Special


    The Shirelles were on this show also

    edafan

  20. #20
    Little Richard wasn't offered back his music by Michael, Michael simply offered a job to Richard writing songs for MiJac Music, according to Little Richard himself.

    Anyway, Richard's passing further puts an end to a revolutionary era in music and pop culture. He was truly one of the founding fathers of rock and roll along with Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly.

  21. #21
    Hi All: These are some great posts here. Anyway, it has been determined that Little Richard died of bone cancer. Here's a link.

    https://people.com/music/llittle-richard-dies-at-87/?fbclid=IwAR0AU7OlmkpSRMpPI9M-g5Hhg0_8CgKvmcaeMh_eRW42gmJbRbnQZUmWJTQ

  22. #22

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Little Richard wasn't offered back his music by Michael, Michael simply offered a job to Richard writing songs for MiJac Music, according to Little Richard himself.

    Anyway, Richard's passing further puts an end to a revolutionary era in music and pop culture. He was truly one of the founding fathers of rock and roll along with Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly.
    I don't know what you are talking about. I am certain you are responding to one of my posts. I did not say what you are saying.

    Again! I said Michael Jackson was working to get his masters to his recordings back to him

    https://www.iloveoldschoolmusic.com/...ckson-himself/

  24. #24
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1zpxvxJvD4A

    Another Northern Soul classic

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Little Richard wasn't offered back his music by Michael, Michael simply offered a job to Richard writing songs for MiJac Music, according to Little Richard himself.

    Anyway, Richard's passing further puts an end to a revolutionary era in music and pop culture. He was truly one of the founding fathers of rock and roll along with Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly.
    Is this what you are talking about? If so, this gentleman said that Michael did try to offer Little Richard his catalog back, but talks with Sony broke down:

    https://www.lipstickalley.com/thread...-back.1387441/

  26. #26
    The story I heard was that MJ sold Little Richard his masters back to him for a trivial sum. Emphasis on “I heard”. However, Little Richard did sue for back royalties. So his 40 million net worth might have come from that.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    The story I heard was that MJ sold Little Richard his masters back to him for a trivial sum. Emphasis on “I heard”. However, Little Richard did sue for back royalties. So his 40 million net worth might have come from that.
    That sounds very plausible. Thank you Jboy88.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    The story I heard was that MJ sold Little Richard his masters back to him for a trivial sum. Emphasis on “I heard”. However, Little Richard did sue for back royalties. So his 40 million net worth might have come from that.
    I just watched a 2017 appearance on YouTube where Little Richard mentioned that his son told him that he had heard he was worth $40 million. He said he asked what bank was it in because he certainly didn't have it.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about. I am certain you are responding to one of my posts. I did not say what you are saying.

    Again! I said Michael Jackson was working to get his masters to his recordings back to him

    https://www.iloveoldschoolmusic.com/...ckson-himself/
    Dude, read what LITTLE RICHARD said. Read carefully:

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...stones-996679/

    "Michael Jackson owns the Specialty stuff. He once offered me a job, for the rest of my life, as a songwriter with his publishing company. I turned him down."

    Does that sound like Michael giving Richard his music back to you? Richard died at his brother's house in Tennessee. God, if MJ had given Richard his music back for $40 million, don't you think he'd die in his own house??? Instead of at his brother's?!

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Dude, read what LITTLE RICHARD said. Read carefully:

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...stones-996679/

    "Michael Jackson owns the Specialty stuff. He once offered me a job, for the rest of my life, as a songwriter with his publishing company. I turned him down."

    Does that sound like Michael giving Richard his music back to you? Richard died at his brother's house in Tennessee. God, if MJ had given Richard his music back for $40 million, don't you think he'd die in his own house??? Instead of at his brother's?!
    This is a memorial tribute thread. I don't have time to argue with kids.

  31. #31
    Rest in Heaven Little Richard. You were a real great trailblazer. My nephew sent me this which i love.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I just watched a 2017 appearance on YouTube where Little Richard mentioned that his son told him that he had heard he was worth $40 million. He said he asked what bank was it in because he certainly didn't have it.
    It's probably $40 million in assets. Judging on where people located Richard whenever they interviewed him (Richard was actually very private, surprising given his supposed extrovert attitude towards his career), he was either at a hotel or at some modest home at a quiet neighborhood that you could easily buy for $30,000. I'm sure he lived well BUT he had to perform all of his life.

    He said it numerous times that he never made money off of "Tutti Frutti", "Long Tall Sally" or "Lucille" and apparently he STILL didn't by the time of his death. We never hear about how he blew his fortune but at one point, he was spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on cocaine, heroin, marijuana and angel dust. Those drugs ain't free, especially cocaine.

    James Brown at least had an estate since he virtually wrote every song he worked on (or at least took credit from his musicians on some occasions; Fred Wesley and Bobby Byrd had tea on that). But I don't think besides from Elvis (who only had less than $1 million in his account when he died in 1977), none of the early rockers were able to make much off of their hits. Bill Haley died broke in 1981 (he didn't purchase rights to his most famous song, "Rock Around the Clock", which contrary to popular belief, he didn't write), Chuck Berry lived modestly in his final days before his death in 2017, Fats Domino had to have people chip in to give him a house in New Orleans after Katrina destroyed his old one at NO's Ninth Ward, Jerry Lee Lewis also lives modestly these days and, like Richard was for the last 7 years, is pretty much retired from show business. Bo Diddley didn't die in a mansion either. B.B. King probably had more money than they did and yet it was less than his own net worth but he still died in Las Vegas, which is not an inexpensive place to live at.

    Only few legends were able to make smart investments: Ray Charles owned all of his post-Atlantic masters (and his estate probably still gets a good penny from "What'd I Say" and other songs he wrote though the estate still doesn't own them), James Brown owned his publishing (though I don't think he owned his masters, I have to look that up), Sam Cooke was in the process of getting his masters when he died in 1964, Prince got all of his Warner Bros. masters just less than a year before he died, Stevie Wonder would have owned all of his post-1971 masters if he decides to leave Motown any time soon, etc.

    I can go on but Little Richard, like many others, didn't read his contracts and also signed away any attempt to repurchase his songs with Specialty.

    No idea if he owned any of his post-Specialty songs but it barely made any money anyway so the money he got was mostly from live performing. Also, and I hate to sound like I'm being sacrilegious, but do you really think he was selling those Bibles at his concert from his heart? He probably paid them for that. I know he was selling black Bibles during his second conversion in the late '70s.

    Brother had to get paid.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is a memorial tribute thread. I don't have time to argue with kids.
    So that's your response after I gave you a link and quote because I debunked your MJ story? You're calling Richard Penniman a liar? Okay lol

    Typical Marvin. You decide to back away when someone presents facts to you haha. You were arguing with me first anyway lol

    Plus, Sly Stone was the only person he offered to give back his songs to. Sly rejected Michael. Stupid on his part but cocaine influenced him.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Rest in Heaven Little Richard. You were a real great trailblazer. My nephew sent me this which i love.
    GOOD ONE!
    And it's true!
    Fun fact: his first performance was with another LGBT icon: Sister Rosetta Tharpe (the godmother of R&R).

  35. #35
    Anyway... no Little Richard's Specialty material is still owned by Sony ATV. I'm glad no professional article put that in their posts though. They have to do fact-checking. I wished he had owned his stuff though. Hate when pioneers like him get ripped off.

    And though his glory years were before the Grammys were ever a thing, I loved his rant about them (and the industry in general) here:



    Look how scared Buster Poindexter/David Johansen was lol

  36. #36
    So I did my research and apparently, MJ wanted to give Richard his masters back, but was unable to due to issues beyond his control. I remember doing a paper for a pop music course I took in college. At the time, Richard was doing ads for this chicken restaurant called “Zaxby’s”, which is a regional chain. I pointed out that he’s doing those ads instead of enjoying his retirement, because of how much he, and several of his other contemporaries, we’re screwed over.
    Last edited by jboy88; 05-10-2020 at 10:23 PM.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    GOOD ONE!
    And it's true!
    Fun fact: his first performance was with another LGBT icon: Sister Rosetta Tharpe (the godmother of R&R).
    Yes and thank the good Lord for both of them.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    So I did my research and apparently, MJ wanted to give Richard his masters back, but was unable to do to issues beyond his control. I remember doing a paper for a pop music course I took in college. At the time, Richard was doing ads for this chicken restaurant called “Zaxby’s”, which is a regional chain. I pointed out that he’s doing those ads instead of enjoying his retirement, because of how much he, and several of his other contemporaries, we’re screwed over.
    I wonder if ATV had any other Specialty recordings or just Little Richard's. Richard sued them for $112 million. During the lawsuit, he actually showed up at the building where Specialty was with a picket sign lol

    And yeah Zaxby's don't pay big. But I didn't read about MJ trying to give him his masters back (which is not the same thing as giving him his masters back). Little Richard never mentioned that Michael was trying to give him his masters back but that he offered him a songwriting job on either MiJac Music or ATV (LR didn't say which one, but he may have been referring to ATV Music). He turned it down. He was busy trying to get Specialty and ATV Music to pay him. They settled in 1986. For how much money, no one knows. But LR didn't win apparently.
    Last edited by midnightman; 05-11-2020 at 10:29 AM.

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Anyway... no Little Richard's Specialty material is still owned by Sony ATV. I'm glad no professional article put that in their posts though. They have to do fact-checking. I wished he had owned his stuff though. Hate when pioneers like him get ripped off.

    And though his glory years were before the Grammys were ever a thing, I loved his rant about them (and the industry in general) here:



    Look how scared Buster Poindexter/David Johansen was lol

    Loved Little Richard. He was real fun, real camp and so darned talented.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    So I did my research and apparently, MJ wanted to give Richard his masters back, but was unable to due to issues beyond his control. I remember doing a paper for a pop music course I took in college. At the time, Richard was doing ads for this chicken restaurant called “Zaxby’s”, which is a regional chain. I pointed out that he’s doing those ads instead of enjoying his retirement, because of how much he, and several of his other contemporaries, we’re screwed over.
    Thanks again Jboy88. I knew I had "heard" that Michael Jackson had wanted to give Richard his masters back. It always helps to do research than to listen to someone just shooting their mouth off about something they no little to nothing about.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Loved Little Richard. He was real fun, real camp and so darned talented.
    The way he pounded that piano... WHEW!!!

  42. #42
    The innovator-he was there at the start and never got his rightful credit..one of the greats in music history-r.i.p.

  43. #43
    Richard sure was funny also. On the Hendrix bio movie he said, "I ain't never heard nobody named Hendrix....cept the ice man in Macon." He also said, "When Jimi use to play his guitar, my big toe use to shoot out through my boot."

  44. #44
    Little Richard Final Message


  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Richard sure was funny also. On the Hendrix bio movie he said, "I ain't never heard nobody named Hendrix....cept the ice man in Macon." He also said, "When Jimi use to play his guitar, my big toe use to shoot out through my boot."
    LOL

    Rich was on some other SCHNITT! ;D

  46. #46
    Name:  richard diana.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  90.3 KB


    . .

  47. #47
    Little Richard to Be Laid to Rest at His Alma Mater Oakwood University

    https://news.yahoo.com/little-richar...170005252.html

  48. #48
    Last edited by jboy88; 05-18-2020 at 12:10 AM.

  49. #49
    Why Little Richard was who he was.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.