[REMOVE ADS]

Thom Bell - Philly Soul Arrangements & Productions 1965-1978 [June 26th 2020]

This is the first-ever compilation of Thom Bell’s productions and arrangements. Put together by Saint Etienne’s Bob Stanley, “Ready Or Not” combines some of Bell’s biggest and best-loved hits with rarities [[an original copy of Connie Stevens’ ‘Tick Tock’ would set you back more than £200) and lesser-known work like Dionne Warwick’s seductive ‘Track Of The Cat’ and Johnny Mathis’ epic ‘Life Is A Song Worth Singing’. Star names like Laura Nyro and Lesley Gore line up alongside soul legends like Dee Dee Sharp and the Delfonics.
    https://acerecords.co.uk/ready-or-no...ions-1965-1978

The package includes liner notes by Bob Stanley including a new interview with Thom Bell and a wealth of photos and memorabilia.
    https://theseconddisc.com/2020/05/07...ylistics-more/

Track listing
    01 Here I Go Again - Archie Bell & The Drells
    02 I Can't Take It - The Orlons
    03 You've Been Untrue - The Delfonics
    04 Look The Other Way - Lesley Gore
    05 Tick-Tock - Connie Stevens
    06 What I See - Three Degrees
    07 Moody Woman - Jerry Butler
    08 What Kind Of Lady - Dee Dee Sharp
    09 Ready Or Not Here I Come [[Can't Hide From Love) - The Delfonics
    10 I Wanna Be A Free Girl - Dusty Springfield
    11 It's The Same Old Love - The Courtship
    12 People Make The World Go Round [[Single edit) - The Stylistics
    13 Back Stabbers - The O'Jays
    14 One Man Band [[Plays All Alone) - Ronnie Dyson
    15 Do You Remember Yesterday - The Intruders
    16 I'm Doin' Fine Now - New York City
    17 Life Is A Song Worth Singing [[Album version) - Johnny Mathis
    18 Something For Nothing - MFSB featuring Thom Bell
    19 Could It Be I'm Falling In Love - The Spinners
    20 You Make Me Feel Brand New [[Album version) - The Stylistics
    21 Close The Door [[Single edit) - Teddy Pendergrass
    22 It's Gonna Take A Miracle - Laura Nyro & Labelle
    23 Track Of The Cat [[Album version) - Dionne Warwick

Thanks for the news Smallworld. I love Thom Bell's work and this set looks like fun [[I had no idea that he worked with both Connie Francis & Lesley Gore).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks for the news Smallworld
    You're welcome, Motown Eddie.

I had no idea that he worked with both Connie Francis & Lesley Gore).

Wrong Italian! Connie Stevens.

Stevens, of course, recorded the original version of "Betcha By Golly Wow" [["Keep Growing Strong"), of which "Tick-Tock" is the flip.

Last edited by smallworld; 05-08-2020 at 06:53 AM.

Tick-Tock.

Last edited by smallworld; 05-08-2020 at 06:54 AM.

Great news! I love Thom Bell music.

Very interesting. I had no idea whatsoever that he worked with Ronnie Dyson, a great singer from Washington, DC, whose life was cut too short too early. There were two outstanding Ronnies: Ronnie Dyson and Ronnie & the Hilites. Both departed too soon.
    I am familiar with his New York City sound which is vastly underrated and unappreciated far too much. I definitely will obtain this upon release.

First of all........K E C.

Secondly this looks like an interesting collection and depending on the price, I might actually indulge. Thanks for sharing.

I wish they could have included tracks by the Intrigues and Odds & Ends. It is really nice to see the Dee Sharp single included. Maybe Ace will do a volume two on Thom Bell someday.

Be well.

Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    You're welcome, Motown Eddie.

Wrong Italian! Connie Stevens.

Stevens, of course, recorded the original version of "Betcha By Golly Wow" [["Keep Growing Strong"), of which "Tick-Tock" is the flip.

Ooops! Thanks for the correction and the link to Connie Stevens "Keep Growing Strong" [[the original version of "Betcha By Golly Wow"). It's very nice and deserved to be a hit.

To bad his sound track to the movie "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" didn't make the cut it came out a year later than the cut-off. By the way, I've never seen the movie nor heard the sound track. What's the word on both?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    To bad his sound track to the movie "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" didn't make the cut it came out a year later than the cut-off. By the way, I've never seen the movie nor heard the sound track. What's the word on both?
    Pretty funky movie! For what it's worth, saw it when it came out. Memorable? Nah. Came out round the same time as "A Hero Ain't Nothing But A Sandwich." Like Fish, nothing to write home about. Both had great soundtracks. And one of the two had Dr. J in the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post

wow great record! [[w/ nice french horns)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-18-2020 at 11:59 PM.

..... brings to mind :

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Pretty funky movie! For what it's worth, saw it when it came out. Memorable? Nah. Came out round the same time as "A Hero Ain't Nothing But A Sandwich." Like Fish, nothing to write home about. Both had great soundtracks. And one of the two had Dr. J in the cast.
    Thanks NativelyY63. I'm going to look for them just to hear the soundtracks.

I picked up the movie on eBay. The soundtrack is rare and going for a lot on Amazon so I didn't get it. The reviews for the soundtrack are very positive. I did a sample listen of the different numbers and was impressed.

Ooops! Thanks for the correction and the link to Connie Stevens "Keep Growing Strong" [[the original version of "Betcha By Golly Wow"). It's very nice and deserved to be a hit.
    I really like this production, just as much as the version by the Stylistics. I wonder why the name was changed?