[REMOVE ADS]

Tossin and Turnin's Bobby Lewis Has Died

I don't believe I have seen this news on here but he died back on April 28th. One source I read said he was 97 but Wikipedia lists him as 95.

His big hit was a little before my time, but a friend tells me it was number one for something like 7 weeks and was the number one song for all of 1961.

I believe Bobby was from Detroit. The song was played a lot when I was a kid. Rest in peace Bobby and thank you.

Marv

Ken Foote Remembers Singer Bobby Lewis Who Passed Away At 95

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/04/30/...ed-away-at-95/

Sorry to hear about this. Thanks for the news David & Rest In Peace Bobby Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Sorry to hear about this. Thanks for the news David & Rest In Peace Bobby Lewis.

Thanks for posting the image of his classic recording. I hope everyone notices that it was distributed by King Records. Hopefully the upcoming King restoration project in Cincinnati will highlight his career.

He was born in Indianapolis but later was living in Detroit.

Here is an interview that was done with a little more background on him. I had seen this interview a while back so I knew it existed.

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/201...interview.html
    Last edited by woodward; 05-07-2020 at 08:36 AM.

I remember where I was living when "Tossing" came out. It was blasted out on radios from houses on the block.

If Bobby was 95 when he died, that means he was 36 when this was a hit. Definitely not the same pattern as the young rock n rollers of that era. So did he have other songs prior to that or perhaps sing with a group and decide to go solo? Or did he just decide in his mid 30s to go out and make a hit record? What was his story?

Hi David!

Please find a short bio here: http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/...obby_lewis.htm

[[Incidentally, have you already purchased the Denise LaSalle book?).

Best regards
    Heikki

Oh yes, I ordered that almost as soon as I could but sometimes I see references on Amazon that make me think it will be delayed or worse yet, not published at all. Do you know anything about that?

Of course if you REALLY wanted to make my day, you would tell me that somebody is releasing something else by her......vaults material, a nice boxed set, anything at all would be wonderful....

David,

I've been informed only about a review copy in May, and I still haven't received it. The only review I've seen so far has been by Daddybnice on his Southernsoulrnbnew site.

Sorry, but I'm not aware of any other releases. Hopefully along with the book somebody puts out something.

But now back to Bobby Lewis. Here's "One Track Mind":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJW1jVPa5Sc

Best regards
    Heikki

Thanks Heikki. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that Denise was just not important enough in the music world to generate much posthumous attention. But hopefully the book will be a nice tribute.