[REMOVE ADS]

Diana posted "you Do It" !

on twitter! I was surprised as heck to see that! I like that song so much I wear it out on weekends on my drive to Massachusetts. Wouldn't it be great to hear her sing this live!! [[post co-vid of course)

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    on twitter! I was surprised as heck to see that! I like that song so much I wear it out on weekends on my drive to Massachusetts. Wouldn't it be great to hear her sing this live!! [[post co-vid of course)
    Agree, it would be great if she added this to her set list. It’s nice to know Diana still really likes the song.
    For me it was the obvious choice as lead single from the ross album. A nice mellow groove and sensitive vocal from Diana. With the added Central Park exposure i think it could have done extremely well. A missed opportunity.

Here is what Diana posted:

“Here's a little light to stay steadfast on your path. I love finding my songs from my discography“

My thoughts... I was hoping that during this quarantine, and down time from recording and performing, that Diana would take the time to revisit her catalogue. It would be great if she added a gem we have never heard live, or in a long time, to her set list. Perhaps she is designing new gowns, or getting new designer gowns, or developing a new stage design. Boredom sometimes can breed creativity.

I’ve been meaning to start various threads dedicated to individual RCA recordings. We have long discussed the albums, and by now we are clear on what many of us think. I for one think she recorded some great songs, some interesting songs, and perhaps even some questionable songs. These songs production values are often overshadowed by the overall discussion of the albums they were on. My goal is to discuss individual songs, not the albums. With Diana posting this song today, we can start with this one.

I think this is a good solid song. Her vocals, overall production, are strong. I like the light, fun, feel of this song. It’s what I would characterize as a “happy” song. What are your thoughts on this song?

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Here is what Diana posted:

“Here's a little light to stay steadfast on your path. I love finding my songs from my discography“

My thoughts... I was hoping that during this quarantine, and down time from recording and performing, that Diana would take the time to revisit her catalogue. It would be great if she added a gem we have never heard live, or in a long time, to her set list. Perhaps she is designing new gowns, or getting new designer gowns, or developing a new stage design. Boredom sometimes can breed creativity.

I’ve been meaning to start various threads dedicated to individual RCA recordings. We have long discussed the albums, and by now we are clear on what many of us think. I for one think she recorded some great songs, some interesting songs, and perhaps even some questionable songs. These songs production values are often overshadowed by the overall discussion of the albums they were on. My goal is to discuss individual songs, not the albums. With Diana posting this song today, we can start with this one.

I think this is a good solid song. Her vocals, overall production, are strong. I like the light, fun, feel of this song. It’s what I would characterize as a “happy” song. What are your thoughts on this song?
    Ross is a very underrated album with only a few real stinkers. This is probably the best track hands down. I’ve noticed that a lot of veteran artists are becoming more in sync with their back catalogs. Dionne Warwick and Barbra Streisand are both reaching for some of these hidden gems and talking about them with fans. It’s nice to see Miss Ross is doing the same.

You Do It is my personal favorite from Ross. ​It's a lovely song and performance. My preference would have been Let's Go Up as the first single, perhaps followed by Love or Loneliness and then You Do It. Pieces of Ice relegated to interesting album track.

Although not released as a single from her 1982 album, Sheena Easton's version of "You Do It" did get some airplay in 1983, thus that might have been a reason not to choose it as a single for Ross.

Ross, is for me , her most disappointing RCA album.

Pieces Of Ice was certainly something different for Diana, the video was weird, the song meandered, I just couldn't get into and unfortunately neither could the US public for as the lead single it killed the album, with its limited success.

I would have tended to go with the Ray Parker Jnr produced Love Or Loneliness which was far superior imo to Up Front his other track on the album and was the second single.

Just listening to You Do It and yes I definitely think it had possibilities but it does go on a bit at the end - maybe if it had been edited and a minute shorter.

I give the song a 4 out of 10. Vocally she is ok. Instrumentally it SUCKS. It was recorded on a shoestring budget. Weak background vocals, uninspired drumming, and an organ. Wow. That pretty much sums up Ross’ cheap RCA years. She sure did not put those 17 million RCA dollars into making quality first-rate recordings. She lined her pockets instead. RCA must have been livid, as were most fans.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 05-07-2020 at 09:11 AM.

[QUOTE=Jaap;575308]Although not released as a single from her 1982 album, Sheena Easton's version of "You Do It" did get some airplay in 1983, thus that might have been a reason not to choose it as a single for Ross.
    Very nice song by both Diana and Sheena Easton although I never warmed up to Sheena' stage persona being that, to me, she came across as aloof [[in an Alexis from "Schitt's Creek" way although that character in one to one settings was actually personable). The lady definitely could sing! Diana's interpretation of "You Do It", even without the visual, comes across more intimate and connected to the 'you' to whom she is referring.

Always liked this track and think it's a highlight from the album.
    I would have issued as a single

Great track! Also my favorite from that album. Rita Coolidge also recorded a nice version on her album Never Let You Go.