[REMOVE ADS]

Top 20 Diana Ross Singles in UK

Up to date list of top 20 biggest selling Diana Ross single in UK.

courtesy of shireblogger@havenforum.co.uk

01 910k - Chain Reaction
    02 715k - Upside Down
    03 590k - I'm Still Waiting
    04 525k - Endless Love [[with Lionel Richie)
    05 475k - I'm Coming Out
    06 410k - Why Do Fools Fall In Love
    07 355k - When You Tell Me That You Love Me
    08 325k - You Are Everything [[with Marvin Gaye)
    09 285k - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    10 270k - My Old Piano
    11 255k - Touch Me In The Morning
    12 220k - Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)
    13 215k - Work That Body
    14 190k - Remember Me
    15 185k - All Of My Life
    16 185k - Love Hangover
    17 165k - If We Hold On Together
    18 140k - Muscles
    19 140k - When You Tell Me That You Love Me [[Westlife ft DR)
    20.130k - Surrender

Says so much that:

1/3/7/8/10 [[and more..)

were pretty much nothing on the US charts

That's the amazing thing about Diana Ross, and this is a phenomenon that perhaps applies to her more than any other artist: different songs of hers are hits in different countries. I remember dating an Italian guy years ago, who wasn't really a DR fan, and I played Eaten Alive. He knew it instantly, and said it was a big hit in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by grangertim View Post
    That's the amazing thing about Diana Ross, and this is a phenomenon that perhaps applies to her more than any other artist: different songs of hers are hits in different countries. I remember dating an Italian guy years ago, who wasn't really a DR fan, and I played Eaten Alive. He knew it instantly, and said it was a big hit in Italy.
    i'm not italian but i have the global chart listings for DR and Sup releases

Eaten Alive reached 21 in Italy.

Overall it's performance was:

77 US pop
    10 US r&b
    3 US Dance
    71 UK
    79 Canada
    24 Belgium
    29 Ireland
    17 Netherlands
    81 Australia
    72 France
    21 Italy
    26 New Zealand
    38 Germany

It apparently didn't chart at all in Japan or Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

77 US pop
    10 US r&b
    3 US Dance
    71 UK
    79 Canada
    24 Belgium
    29 Ireland
    17 Netherlands
    81 Australia
    72 France
    21 Italy
    26 New Zealand
    38 Germany

Interesting distribution. The track obviously appealed in The
    Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Ireland, New Zealand. Pretty much stiffed in US, UK, Canada, France. Too much going on musically at the time?

it's really sort of hit and miss with the international charts.

there are some obvious global mega hits

Upside Down
    1 US Pop
    1 US R&B
    18 US AC
    1 US Dance
    2 UK
    5 Canada
    3 Belgium
    3 Ireland
    3 Netherlands
    1 Australia
    2 France
    1 Italy
    1 New Zealand
    3 Germany

Why Do Fools
    7 US Pop
    6 US R&B
    2 US AC
    4 UK
    17 Canada
    1 Belgium
    9 Ireland
    1 Netherlands
    15 Australia
    68 France
    3 New Zealand
    17 Germany

and then some that are mixed

Muscles
    10 US Pop
    4 US R&B
    36 US AC
    15 Uk
    19 Canada
    14 Belgium
    23 Ireland
    10 Netherlands
    50 Australia
    23 France
    18 New Zealand
    69 Germany

When you tell me that you love me
    -- US Pop
    37 US R&B
    26 US AC
    2 UK
    23 Belgium
    4 Ireleand
    4 Netherlands

Here in the Netherlands Diana Ross [[solo or with) the Supremes hits are played still very often on radio.
    My favorite nationwide station Radio 2 Blues and Soul plays one almost every hour.

77 US pop
    10 US r&b
    3 US Dance
    71 UK
    79 Canada
    24 Belgium
    29 Ireland
    17 Netherlands
    81 Australia
    72 France
    21 Italy
    26 New Zealand
    38 Germany

every so often I forget if I have told you what a jewel you are. So, even if redundant, you’re a jewel!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Ireland, New Zealand. Pretty much stiffed in US, UK, Canada, France. Too much going on musically at the time?
    “Eaten Alive” is a strange one. It did fairly well in some domains but not a smash hit in any. Other then Diana’s vocals being so muffled and buried in the production, the main culprit for me is the songs title and daft lyrics. With a more appealing song title and better lyrics I think EA might have been the huge hit intended.

And The Supremes both before and after Diana - singles which to date have reached 100k.

01 840k - Baby Love
    02 545k - You Can't Hurry Love
    03 500k - Where Did Our Love Go?
    04 410k - Stoned Love
    05 280k - Stop! In The Name Of Love
    06 265k - You Keep Me Hanging On
    07 235k - Reflections
    08 230k - Nathan Jones
    09 220k - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me [[with The Temptations)
    10 205k - The Happening
    11 185k - Up The Ladder To The Roof
    12 165k - Someday We'll Be Together
    13 155k - In And Out Of Love
    14 150k - Love Child
    15 130k - Floy Joy
    16 115k - River Deep Mountain High [[with The Four Tops)
    17 110k - Come See About Me
    18 100k - Automatically Sunshine

Interestingly five of the first six post-Diana singles have reached 6 figures.

No real surprise. Those early 70’s Supremes singles reached very respectable chart positions in the UK and continue to remain very popular.

Diana Ross in the top 20 of the Dutch Top 40

01 A Brand New Day
    01 Why Do Fools Fall in Love
    02 Upside Down
    02 My Old Piano
    03 Reflections [[1989 re-release as Theme of China Beach)
    04 Endless Love
    04 Theme from Mahogany
    05 The Happening
    06 When You Tell Me That You Love Me
    07 All of You
    10 Touch by Touch
    10 Muscles
    14 You Are Everything
    16 Work That Body
    18 Love Child
    20 Someday We'll Be Together

Did I hear a symphony not do well in UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    No real surprise. Those early 70’s Supremes singles reached very respectable chart positions in the UK and continue to remain very popular.
    interestingly enough, post DRATS breakup, both entities did much better in the UK. Diana's solo work performed much better than her DRATS stuff. as did the new supremes

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Did I hear a symphony not do well in UK?
    not especially

Where did our love go 3
    baby love 1
    come see 27
    stop 7
    back in arms 40
    nothing but heartaches - no listing, maybe not released? or else not charted
    Symphony 39
    my world --
    itchin ---
    can't hurry love 3
    hanging on 8
    love is here 17
    happening 6
    reflections 5
    in and out 13
    forever 28
    some things 34
    love child 15
    i'm gonna make you 3
    shame 14
    i'll try ----
    composer ---
    no matter what sign 38
    i second that emotion 18
    someday 13
    why must we fall in love 31

I always thought Eaten Alive was pretty bland. The mistake was thinking Michael Jackson could make anything a hit. The mixture of Bee Gees, MJ and Diana was not a really good mix, so yeah too much going on. I think there was also still some sort of MJ fatigue [[We Are The World aside, though that song was more of an all-star vocal). I feel if RCA had pushed for Chain Reaction FIRST, the album would've been a hit. Also the video is still weird to me.

So many awful decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Diana Ross in the top 20 of the Dutch Top 40

01 A Brand New Day
    01 Why Do Fools Fall in Love
    02 Upside Down
    02 My Old Piano
    03 Reflections [[1989 re-release as Theme of China Beach)
    04 Endless Love
    04 Theme from Mahogany
    05 The Happening
    06 When You Tell Me That You Love Me
    07 All of You
    10 Touch by Touch
    10 Muscles
    14 You Are Everything
    16 Work That Body
    18 Love Child
    20 Someday We'll Be Together
    Jack020:
    Here in the Netherlands Diana Ross [[solo or with) the Supremes hits are played still very often on radio.
    My favorite nationwide station Radio 2 Blues and Soul plays one almost every hour.
    I've been amazed at the Ross love from The Netherlands [[and the UK) for years now. Such good taste!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I always thought Eaten Alive was pretty bland. The mistake was thinking Michael Jackson could make anything a hit. The mixture of Bee Gees, MJ and Diana was not a really good mix, so yeah too much going on. I think there was also still some sort of MJ fatigue [[We Are The World aside, though that song was more of an all-star vocal). I feel if RCA had pushed for Chain Reaction FIRST, the album would've been a hit. Also the video is still weird to me.

So many awful decisions.
    i've certainly made my opinions of EA [[the lp) known on here lol so i'm going make a slightly different POV reference regarding this set

recently i've had Guilty on pretty steady listenings. On that album, Barbra is NEVER whispy or buried in the mix. her voice is ALWAYS prominent on every track. And the BeeGees limit their backing vocals considerably. And while many of the tracks do have a heavy stamp of BG productions [[that was a common complaint in reviews at the time) it still very much feels like a Barbra album. The Love Inside is a stunning ballad. truly gorgeous. A Woman In Love and the title track are also clearly songs written for her and with her in mind

it's almost as if every point i just made about Guilty is 180 opposite with Eaten Alive. nearly all of Diana's vocals are muddy, buried and muted. More and More is a breathy and whispy vocal track. The backgrounds are intrusive and few of the songs feel like they were "diana's." I'd be curious to know if Berry wrote any specifically for her in mind or if he and diana just selected a handful of songs from a stack of compositions on Berry's desk

and the title track

I hate to say it but it seemed like Diana seemed to get a little complacent with her RCA work than when she was at Motown. You'd think a perfectionist like her would say "hold up wait, where's my vocals?!" I wonder how she feels about her RCA material. I haven't seen her covered any of them besides from probably Why Do Fools Fall in Love and Missing You? It'd be curious once everything gets rescheduled next year [[hopefully) if she does her meme'd hit "It's Your Move" lmao

I wonder if she even knows she's popular amongst the vaporwave set or if she even knows what vaporwave is haha

What is vaporwave? Hope she doesn't know because I don't either.

One of the bigger surprises for me is the popularity everywhere of Why Do Fools Fall in Love. I much prefer Where Did Our Love Go, Stop, My World, LILAIIMH etc.

But without question, Why Do Fools is enormously popular in concert and was popular everywhere.

'Nothing but heartaches' was released in the UK but failed to chart.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    What is vaporwave? Hope she doesn't know because I don't either.

One of the bigger surprises for me is the popularity everywhere of Why Do Fools Fall in Love. I much prefer Where Did Our Love Go, Stop, My World, LILAIIMH etc.

But without question, Why Do Fools is enormously popular in concert and was popular everywhere.
    It's a millennial/zoomer thing lol

As regards “Eaten Alive”, it obviously had some appeal
    3 US dance
    10 US r & b
    17 Netherlands
    21 Italy
    24 Belgium
    26 New zealand
    29 Ireland
    These chart positions prove the potential was definitely there.. I still maintain it’s the more then silly lyrics that stopped it going further.

Tony Blackburn had nothing to do with the release of Doobe' in the UK but without his support it would certainly never have reached #12 in the chart.

Pretty surprised I Hear A Symphony was only a minor hit in the UK - has sold around 60k if even that.

Major surprise too that Love Child was only a moderate hit in the UK despite extensive airplay and was even outsold by Reflections and In And Out Of Love.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Tony Blackburn had nothing to do with the release of Doobe' in the UK but without his support it would certainly never have reached #12 in the chart.

Pretty surprised I Hear A Symphony was only a minor hit in the UK - has sold around 60k if even that.

Major surprise too that Love Child was only a moderate hit in the UK despite extensive airplay and was even outsold by Reflections and In And Out Of Love.
    Really shows the differences in taste and preferences. To my ears, Love Child and I Hear a Symphony were obvious #1s.

well what was popular with the kids might not have been what was popular with program directors. remember the BBC decided to skip broadcasting TCB as they felt there wasn't interest in watching a black variety show!

interestingly enough, post DRATS breakup, both entities did much better in the UK. Diana's solo work performed much better than her DRATS stuff. as did the new supremes
    There has always been quite a divide in musical tastes between the UK and USA record buying public. It’s hard to imagine such Ross classics as “Remember Me” and “Surrender” failing to make the same impact in their homeland as they did in the UK.
    Also the disparity in chart success of the Supremes 60’s singles which charted consistently higher in the US then the UK........The list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    There has always been quite a divide in musical tastes between the UK and USA record buying public. It’s hard to imagine such Ross classics as “Remember Me” and “Surrender” failing to make the same impact in their homeland as they did in the UK.
    Also the disparity in chart success of the Supremes 60’s singles which charted consistently higher in the US then the UK........The list goes on.
    Growing up here in the US, I wish Remember Me and Surrender had been bigger hits. I think timing and release schedules might have had an effect. But the American and British markets are also very different, in the record-buyers, the artists and the music business.

Growing up here in the US, I wish Remember Me and Surrender had been bigger hits. I think timing and release schedules might have had an effect. But the American and British markets are also very different, in the record-buyers, the artists and the music business.
    I have never understood why Americans fail to appreciate good music.......[[Joke).
    70’s single releases by Diana and also the new Supremes generally charted much higher in the UK then the US. Why I have no idea because the quality and commercial appeal of these releases was really very good.
    “Last Time I Saw Him” and “The Boss” are reverse examples that did only marginally well in the Uk as opposed to the US.
    Moving into the 80’s, I’m sure rca must have been more then a little surprised when”Mirror Mirror” cast only a minor ripple on GB shores.

Although she had a band of loyal fans Diana went through peaks and troughs in the UK - peaks, early 70s, 1976, early 80s, 1985 a one-off, early 90s.

Generally speaking the ballads would do better in the 70s, in the 80s it was the upbeat numbers, then again during her 90s renaissance it was back to the ballads.