[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Does Anyone Know Where This Picture Of The Marvelettes Came From?

Has anyone seen this photo before? Absolutely amazing picture of The Marvelettes. I'm wondering if it was from a magazine. Blows my mind that there are so many photos of the Motown groups that have been out there through the years and yet we only ever see a sheer fraction of them. Name:  51292053_254834425398224_1117573246296769151_n [[3).jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  92.8 KB

Who was the three legged member of The Marvelettes?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Who was the three legged member of The Marvelettes?
    Oh! Yeah it does look like someone has 3 legs!

GREAT photo, Kat, Gladys & Wanda on lead.Maybe Twenty Grand ?

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    GREAT photo, Kat, Gladys & Wanda on lead.Maybe Twenty Grand ?
    I think this taken elsewhere as the Twenty Grand had a blue-tiled wall on the side of the stage and a rather low, reddish ceiling. This stage looks a lot bigger than the pictures I've seen of the Twenty Grand

I've seen it before [[maybe on Facebook) but have no idea where it was taken.

It's similar to the shot on the back of the[pink]album but not the same one!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    It's similar to the shot on the back of the[pink]album but not the same one!
    Well at least you and I seem to be on the same track. Then I realized the rear photo of the Pink Album was taken at Sound Blast '66, an outdoor arena. This one seems to be indoors. Also, the microphones are different from the ones used at that event. I'm not gonna be able to rest until I get to the bottom of this mystery! [[lol)

Fabulous photo. Maybe it came from a Marvelettes tour program booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Fabulous photo. Maybe it came from a Marvelettes tour program booklet.
    Good idea! I'll start searching ebay and Worthpoint for tour programs that featured The Marvelettes. I just love this photo because I've never seen them in yellow dresses like these. Thr ladies just look so great here!

At the Apollo '68Name:  Marv3.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  9.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    At the Apollo '68Name:  Marv3.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  9.0 KB
    Now THIS is nice!!!!!!

Name:  Marv2.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  6.9 KB Haven't seen this one before

I’ve always wondered exactly when it was that Gladys left the group. Was it summer or fall of ‘67 or the end of that year? Or was it even early ‘68? I guess why I’m asking here is that this picture looks like it might have been sometime in 1967?

Quote Originally Posted by MotownFan1 View Post
    I’ve always wondered exactly when it was that Gladys left the group. Was it summer or fall of ‘67 or the end of that year? Or was it even early ‘68? I guess why I’m asking here is that this picture looks like it might have been sometime in 1967?
    I was under the impression that Florence Ballard, Gladys Horton and Betty Kelly all left their respective groups in mid '67.

Update: According to the liner notes of TCMS: Volume 7: 1967, Gladys left the Marvelettes shortly after the release of their song When You're Young in In Love, which was released on April 6, 1967. She was expecting her first child at the time that she departed. Under the liner notes for Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone it states that Betty Kelly left the group shortly after the session for the song was done. On the DFTMC site it says that the song was completed April 10, 1967 and released August 3, 1967. Very interesting time line for all three girl groups. I think that the Velvelettes had all but stopped recording by this time [[Bring Back The Sunshine completed September 28, 1967.)
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 05-04-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks for that information. I hadn’t realized that they all three left around that time in ‘67.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownFan1 View Post
    Thanks for that information. I hadn’t realized that they all three left around that time in ‘67.
    I think that Betty's and Glady's departures get overshadowed by all that was happening with Florence Ballard and the Supremes. I would love to know more details about Betty Kelly's departure and the conflict behind her and Martha. And when the groups first concert post-Kelly. Same for the Marvelettes, how soon they went back on tour with Ann Bogan after Glady's departure.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Name:  Marv2.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  6.9 KB Haven't seen this one before
    Now this is something I was fortunate enough to find on ebay while back. A whole series of photos taken from this appearance. I was flying high when I got the pictures!

Name:  1A80AE60-D155-4094-95BA-644560B65BC6.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  18.0 KB

from September 1967

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Name:  1A80AE60-D155-4094-95BA-644560B65BC6.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  18.0 KB

from September 1967
    Great article. Thanks for posting.

I believe Gladys was still with the group for the first week or so of 1968 for some appearances and then Ann came in by the end of January.

When i saw them in the summer of[68]ann was in the group.

I love where this thread has gone because I always thought it was interesting too how all 3 of these groups had changes in members around the same time. You guys are really coming up with some great information. It's like an investigative report!

I thought I had read somewhere that after Gladys left the group, it was a couple of months at least before they began performing again. I don’t know if I’m right about that or not.

arr&bee, I would love to hear more about what that ‘68 concert was like. I am interested in what the group’s set lists were like during various years. I know a few members have posted information about them in concert, but not a lot. Did they sing mostly their hits? Did they do covers or album cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by motownfan1 View Post
    arr&bee, i would love to hear more about what that ‘68 concert was like. I am interested in what the group’s set lists were like during various years. I know a few members have posted information about them in concert, but not a lot. Did they sing mostly their hits? Did they do covers or album cuts?
    it was great and they sang most of their hits[i can't recall all because it was long ago]but i remember that when they did[my baby must be a magician]chuck barksdale of the dells who were on the bill did the bass intro,but they sounded great-my girls the marvelous marvelettes!