[REMOVE ADS]

"We Almost Lost Detroit"[[or did we?)

Contemplating all that The Big D has been through over the years: riots in the '60's & 70's [[see the riveting movie, "Detroit); the unparalleled music scene, which soared with the birth of Motortown/Motown; the heartbreaking debacle of the Flint water scandal; the residual effects of the Housing Bubble of '08; bankruptcy & crushing poverty & unemployment, etc.

Where does Detroit stand today, musically? Could another Motown exist in the 21st century? Can and/or has the city arisen phoenix-like?

You thoughts.

Having returned to Detroit after living in California for 35 years, I was blown away at how the city had rebounded and was thriving after years of decline.

As far as the occurrence of another Motown, considering the state of the music business, or what is left of it, I highly doubt that could ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Having returned to Detroit after living in California for 35 years, I was blown away at how the city had rebounded and was thriving after years of decline.

As far as the occurrence of another Motown, considering the state of the music business, or what is left of it, I highly doubt that could ever happen.
    Ralph, Detroit has never been really as bad as the media has portrayed it! I would comeback to Detroit several times every year for more than 30 years and I would notice blight that wasn't there when I was kid, but still there were always something great going on in Detroit. I use to wonder what and who were they talking about when it came to Detroit. The music scene in Detroit went heavily Techno in the 80s which changed the whole ball game. Real musicians were not as in demand as they were during Detroit's Golden Age. Still, the music scene is still strong there, but you have to look harder for it. They even have a new record pressing plant in the area. I saw stories about it a few years ago. Some of these younger Detroit artists need and want guidance from those that were connected to the industry during what I call "Prime Time".

Saw in the news, about an 106 year old Detroit woman was celebrated in the D!! Wow. Talk about "living history. Would love to sit down with her over a cup of coffee.

Detroit is pretty much alive and kicking. Reports of its demise were HEAVILY over exaggerated. When it was announced it was filing for bankruptcy, I was one of the first to say "they'll rebound from this". Sure enough...

I don't know, as someone from the South, I've always been fascinated by Detroit. Goes deeper than just a love for Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Detroit is pretty much alive and kicking. Reports of its demise were HEAVILY over exaggerated. When it was announced it was filing for bankruptcy, I was one of the first to say "they'll rebound from this". Sure enough...

I don't know, as someone from the South, I've always been fascinated by Detroit. Goes deeper than just a love for Motown.
    There was a time in Detroit where you could buy ice cream everywhere...............hehehehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There was a time in Detroit where you could buy ice cream everywhere...............hehehehehehe!
    So I heard. LOL