[REMOVE ADS]

A Look At Chaka Khan's 2020 Live Performance Of THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER

well OK then! lol! that ending!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-01-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Certain folks sure get riled when we don't sing that anthem their way,chaka forever!!!

This happened a few months ago and unfortunately Chaka got roasted by the media and by people on social media. I love her dearly, but I can understand why people were up in arms over it. The anthem is unrecognizable. I think you can take a few artistic liberties with it, but in this situation, she basically transformed it into a completely different song...if you can even call it that. More like a vocal riff. I get it, she's a legend and does her own thing now...so moral of the story is, know who you're asking to sing...and if you plan to sing something via your own interpretation, such as an institutional piece like the national anthem, then be ready for people to come after you for it. Again, love Chaka so much...but even I can say in recent years, she's stopped singing the actual lyrics for at least 80% of any song she performs.

A young Whitney was the exception to the rule! She was in beast mode voice. Go Nippy!

I definitely appreciate her music. In this case, if she cut back the vocal acrobatics by 50% I wonder if there if there would be any backlash. But then again we are talking about an institutional anthem!

This is just one of many ongoing appraisals by the 'honest vocal coach'. It should be expected that when being honest some reviews will be less favorable. She seems far from riled though and being from the UK , her attachment to the STAR SPANGLED BANNER would be hardly vested.
    If anything the wayward performance is being regarded as rather comical, especially as the players are seen fleeing before the last squawk. They must be part of the 'certain folks' as they aren't having it! lol!

Here's the honest vocal coach observing a Donna Summer performance :

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    A young Whitney was the exception to the rule! She was in beast mode voice. Go Nippy!
    Whitney did it so well that artists who attempt it like her almost fall flat...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Whitney did it so well that artists who attempt it like her almost fall flat...
    Almost? Not even close, I say!