[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - "Doobedood" ... and you know the rest!

A great song with a terrible title, Deke Richards says he felt that at the time this was one of his best writing credits. Deke wanted to title the song "I Just Started Livin'" but Berry G overruled and went forward with the "Doobedood" title. Gordy thought the title would raise curiosity and garner airplay! The song reached #12 in the UK after its April '72 release.

Like the song, but I hate the title, too. Should have just been DoobyDood'nDooby. I Just Started Livin' would have been even better. I also love the song but hate the title of Lovin', Livin' and Givin'. I would have preferred something like Since You Came [[I Feel Like Livin' Again).

Musically it’s wonderful with Diana singing one melody and the cellos playing another.

It’s both clever and attractive. The chorus is pure sugar, but so what?

The start of the second verse repeats the intro and then we’re back to to hearing two complementary melodies at the same time. This caught my ear as a teenager and I’m still caught.

It’s also what I describe as a generous song. Many songs struggle to give us one melody but this one throws in three with gay abandon.

Love it!