[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - "I'm Still Waiting"

"I'm Still Waiting" closes out side 1 of Diana's second solo album. It's the one song from the lp that has had career-life for Diana. The song was written especially for Diana by Deke Richards and he produced the track as well. Richards give a nice recall of his writing and producing experience in the expanded EIE booklet. Mostly he speaks of Diana liking the song but singing it a bit 'stronger' than the song required. He states that Diana 'obliged without question' and gave the performance he was seeking. The song was [[as we know!) a huge hit in the UK -

I'm not surprised this was written especially for her. It's a perfect fit. This and My Place were the only love-at-first-listen tracks on the album for me. I grew to like Baby, It's Love, partly because of the connection with Marvin Gaye.

The UK got it right! It should have been as big here. It's a really beautiful song.

Indeed, this is a classic here

I do like the song and was thrilled it went to #1 in the UK but I don't really understand why this rather than many other of Diana's was so massive here.

I suppose it was just a case of the right song at the right moment and the power of having the most influential DJ of the time promoting it heavily on peak-time radio.

Whenever Diana sang this at her UK concerts especially in the 70s the audience went ballistic.

Good morning heartache, but a good thing he moved away , nothing but trouble here had he not, his becoming eighteen to her thirteen.
    Good record.
    It's the presence of the "Supremes" throughout , especially their climatic ending for the final minute that seems to especially elevate the record.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-11-2020 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Good morning heartache, but a good thing he moved away , nothing but trouble here had he not, his becoming eighteen to her thirteen.
    Good record.
    Lets hope he was 23 and she 18 when his decided to call it a day with his folks lol.
    I must say, i always thought five a little young to be pledging complete devotion to a boy, not to mention having to cope with the agonies of unrequited love. Call me old fashioned if you like.

Tony Blackburn was a real friend to Motown and he got this one right. Great memories.

Not just Tony Blackburn but Motown UK had the knack of releasing songs [[some old, some new songs) that Motown USA didn't have faith in.

As well as a bunch of Diana songs, they also helped 'discover' hits like Tears of A Clown and rediscover songs by Martha, The Velvelettes etc etc.
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 05-16-2020 at 01:51 AM.

Motown UK also struck gold by releasing Diana's All Of My Life as the follow-up to Touch Me In The Morning. A really good song and a great performance by Diana.
    Last edited by rovereab; 05-16-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Motown UK also struck gold by releasing Diana's All Of My Life as the follow-up to Touch Me In The Morning. A really good song and a great performance by Diana.
    The big upside to that is the success of Life rejuvenated the Touch Me abum bringing it back onto the chart all the way to the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    The big upside to that is the success of Life rejuvenated the Touch Me abum bringing it back onto the chart all the way to the top 10.
    Good point Florence. Releasing the right follow up singles held massive benefits for increased album sales. Why Motown chose not to release “All Of My Life” in the USA has always been a complete mystery to me. It really is such a beautiful song with a stunning vocal from Diana. It literally screams hit at the top of its voice.
    Not to mention those album sales........

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Good point Florence. Releasing the right follow up singles held massive benefits for increased album sales. Why Motown chose not to release “All Of My Life” in the USA has always been a complete mystery to me. It really is such a beautiful song with a stunning vocal from Diana. It literally screams hit at the top of its voice.
    Not to mention those album sales........
    I agree it might have been a good follow-up single, maybe even Top Ten if released on time. My preference is still I Won't Last a Day Without You.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I agree it might have been a good follow-up single, maybe even Top Ten if released on time. My preference is still I Won't Last a Day Without You.
    That's a good one, as well. Probably all of the songs on Side One of the TMITM album could have been singles.

But there was too much product being released in 1973. Before the year was out, Motown would release two more albums [[DIANA AND MARVIN and LAST TIME I SAW HIM) and the singles from each of those. But then no studio albums at all in 1974 and 1975.