[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - "Baby It's Love"

Side 1, track 4 of Diana's second solo lp, Everything Is Everything. Tasked by Berry Gordy for a quick follow-up to the solo debut, Deke Richards [[Chairman of Motown's 'The Corporation' producing team) sought out Hal Davis to come up with a selection of songs for the lp. This song was written by Anna Gordon-Gaye, Marvin Gaye and Charles Laskey and produced by Berry G and Hal Davis. The EIE booklet tells us that the overdub tracks for this cut were done back-to-back with Marvin Gaye's WGO and notes that there are similarities in the alto sax riffs between the two songs, and that most likely it is Eli Fountain performing both solos.

I've come to like this track more and more. It's connection to Marvin Gaye led me to listen more closely. The saxophone certainly places it in time with the What's Going On sessions! Marvin wrote so many good songs, from way before What's Going On.

while I like certain aspects there're 2 or 3 too many long repetitive passages that I found slowed the potential of the song