[REMOVE ADS]

Photographer Harry Langdon discusses the stories behind his Diana Ross photographs.

Nice reflections from a great photographer!

As a keen photographer myself I found this really interesting. I really hope there is a part two.

He has a wonderful, down to earth approach to the way he talks about his photography work. One thing I learned [[and correct me if I am wrong): He mentioned Bob Ellis, who worked for Diana, was the one who introduced him to Diana. Let's see, the album was released in April, 1970 so this would have been prior to that. Although I knew Bob Ellis [[if this is the same one she married) was in some sort of public relations work, I never realized that Bob actually worked for Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    He has a wonderful, down to earth approach to the way he talks about his photography work. One thing I learned [[and correct me if I am wrong): He mentioned Bob Ellis, who worked for Diana, was the one who introduced him to Diana. Let's see, the album was released in April, 1970 so this would have been prior to that. Although I knew Bob Ellis [[if this is the same one she married) was in some sort of public relations work, I never realized that Bob actually worked for Diana.
    I also never realised Bob was an employee!!.

I had to play it back to make sure that's what he said... "I found out later on Bob was her publicist". Oh, by the way, I wrote a comment on his YouTube video, and he responded. It appears that he might just be getting started with his YouTube channel and quite naturally, is welcoming subscribers.

This was interesting insight into the publicity photo process with Diana. I definitely enjoy Harry's work. Thanks for posting the video.
    Darin

Yes, a great find! Langdon is a great fashion / portrait photographer and he sure had one legendary subject in Diana!

Enjoyed this very much. Amazing to learn these things 50 years later! He seems to have wonderful memories of Diana Ross. I appreciated hearing this and hope to hear more.

Great to hear his story of shooting for Diana's first album cover. Although understandably, since so many years have passed, I would not take every word he spoke as truth. The first three album covers he showed in the sequence were never official releases from Motown. Two of them were fan made covers and one is the Almighty Remix album that came out as digital only in 2006-ish, also not a Motown/Universal release. He also showed the album cover for Blue, which came out in 2006 as well. He showed the colour photographs of Diana in the red gown and made it sorta sound like that those shots were taken in the early 70's, but then quickly said at the end that he worked with Diana again after Motown, which is when those shots were indeed taken. Also, Diana mentions in her book that her husband, Bob Ellis, was a school teacher when she met him and later became a manager in the music industry, but at no time says that he was her publicist. Perhaps he had taken on an informal role in the early 70's, in regards to her career.