[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - "Time and Love"

Another Bones Howe production, another Laura Nyro song. This is another song that was recorded by everyone within 20 feet of a microphone, but does not have near the propulsive power of Stoney End. It's also included on the expanded edition of Diana's solo lp.

I had Laura's original cut on a excellent 2 LP rock compilation set from Columbia Record Club called Super Rock in 1969...It had all Columbia label artists...Santana, Joplin, Jeff Beck, Poco, Chicago, NRBQ, Johnny Winter...great stuff...I actually liked Laura's version...never heard another one that I like. It remains a song I hate...and is unfortunately on my #1 fav Supremes LP...Touch

Diana Ross' vocals are great for this song!

Wasn't Time And Love one of those tracks considered as Diana's debut solo single?

Apart from Mountain the only song I think would have been a sizable hit in the then circumstances was These Things - doubt a #1 but pretty sure it would have gone top 10.

Reach Out And Touch although not as big a hit as expected didn't do that badly and in the end Diana got it right - it became an anthem for her.

It was a totally amazing experience to be in the audience when she sang it at a concert.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Wasn't Time And Love one of those tracks considered as Diana's debut solo single?

Apart from Mountain the only song I think would have been a sizable hit in the then circumstances was These Things - doubt a #1 but pretty sure it would have gone top 10.

Reach Out And Touch although not as big a hit as expected didn't do that badly and in the end Diana got it right - it became an anthem for her.

It was a totally amazing experience to be in the audience when she sang it at a concert.
    Interesting, Florence - I think I heard that TAL was considered as a single, but 'who knows where or when?' I'm sure glad it was passed on. It's a ... nice ... song; Labelle did a good version on their debut lp - but there's just something 'wan' about it! And yes, Diana sure believed in 'Reach Out' despite it's just-OK chart performance and it was pretty much immediately a career icon for Diana since her earliest solo appearances. The audience participation has become expected but back then Diana-in-the-audience was spine tingling! Glad you were able to experience it as well. Best to you.