[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - "Where There Was Darkness"

A 'deep' second-side cut from Diana's solo LP. Maybe my personal least-favorite cut on the lp. I just don't love the song but as usual Diana sings it beautifully and A&S provide a great setting. David Nathan's interview with Valerie for the expanded edition of Diana's solo lp tells us that this song was a personal selection of Diana's from the batch of songs presented to her by A&S.

One of my favorites from the album! It's a gorgeous. atmospheric arrangement [[with a theremin?) and Diana does sing it beautifully. I was glad to find out she personally chose the song.

Diana's first album stands up as well today as it did a half a century ago. Every track is a winner.

[QUOTE=sophisticated_soul;574148]Diana's first album stands up as well today as it did a half a century ago. Every track is a winner.[/QUOTE ]I agree completely. I still have my week-of-issue vinyl copy and yet all these years later the lp still enthralls.

Love every song on this album.

Love this song. One of my favorites.

Interesting & fun to hear fan recollections of these deep cuts. Nice recollections to hear in a troubling time -

This is one of those where I need to be careful that I don't over analyze her vocals. Don't get me wrong. She definitely interprets the lyrics wonderfully yet it borders on being a little too laid back. I would guess if I heard Ashford & Simpson singing this, it would be more dynamic and upfront sounding like a gospel song. They, however, helped Diana craft this to make it 'her song' in its delivery. Love it!

i love this song too. very atmospheric. and the contrast between the gloom of the title and the lovely and uplifting sound of the music. diana does such a fluid lead here - much more scooping and sliding. and does it very well!! wonderful contrast to her more punctuated singing style on other songs. and hints and the jazz sensibility she'd be developing more on Lady. Maybe that was part of the plan - perhaps Berry was instructing her to already dabble in that style

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i love this song too. very atmospheric. and the contrast between the gloom of the title and the lovely and uplifting sound of the music. diana does such a fluid lead here - much more scooping and sliding. and does it very well!! wonderful contrast to her more punctuated singing style on other songs. and hints and the jazz sensibility she'd be developing more on Lady. Maybe that was part of the plan - perhaps Berry was instructing her to already dabble in that style
    I have to agree; I had not really made the jazz connection before. Good point!

Such a brilliant song for an album cut. Anyone heard Randy Crawford's version? Also fantastic!