[REMOVE ADS]

Smokey live in Hyde Park BBC 4 12.00 midnight

Very late notice but Smokey live in Hyde Park showing on BBC 4 tonight 12.00.
    If you miss it , BBC catch up should work.

Ta. Saw him in Bradford quite a while back I really enjoyed the show. Had Marv Tarplin with him so that was good

Saw him at Mcr years ago. Handed in some albums to roadie ,which Smokey signed. Unfortunately he dedicated them to the name of a previous girlfriend....which my wife didn't take kindly to!
    Of course I was hoping to meet him
    He asked the roadie to ask me why I wasn't watching the first act.....yeah right.

Ps....met Marv Tarplin after show..he signed my Sharon Davis book.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Ps....met Marv Tarplin after show..he signed my Sharon Davis book.
    That had to be a great experience Snakepit! Thanks for sharing.

Just watched it on BBC catch up, good concert from 2013, but surprised he didn't sing 'Being With You' his only number one solo hit in the UK.

Anyone read the article about Smoke Man and ex, Claudette Rogers?

snakepit, who was the first act you skipped?

Hi Mike
    I can't remember...it was not a big or familiar name. A female singer but I've no memory of her.

I was never surprised at the lack of understanding of UK promoters who could mismatch opening acts with soul acts. The only time I was amazed was when Bloodstone, completely unknown, opened for Al Green.

Yes I can recall a few 'unknown' soul acts supporting Motown acts . I do recall seeing a soul act..not sure who but a big name...supported by Labi Sifre in his early career. He left the stage in tears as he struggled to control the crowd who were wanting the headline act. In fact I think he made some comment about his colour...and not being a soul singer...something like that.
    Shame because I liked his early tunes.

Snakepit, my friend has managed Labi for many years. You will be pleased to know Labi is still recording new material even now and has done brilliantly over the decades. He has gone from strength to strength and has had a career of longevity and commercial success, so no worries from his disappointment on the time you saw him.

That's good to hear. I'd heard one of his songs before the concert...probably "There's nothing in the world like love???"
    I loved that song..so I was aware of him at the show. The main crowd probably didn't know him.and struggled to warm to him..or his style.
    Another 'warm up' ...sang Ernie K Doe's " Mother in law". The [[Manchester) crowd started singing songs about Denis Law. The artists told the audience that he couldn't understand what they were singing but it sounded good!

Hi Mike
    I can't remember...it was not a big or familiar name. A female singer but I've no memory of her.
    The show I went to at Manchester Apollo had Viola Wills in support and she is far from an unknown in Soul circles having been produced by Barry White early on and a UK hit with "Gonna Get Along Without Ya Now" which came after the Smokey show. Her release at the time was "Let's Love Now" which was a great record [[if disco).

If my memory is correct, I think it was Labi who opened for the Jean/Mary/Cindy Supremes during their early '70s UK tour.

He went down very well at the show I attended.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    If my memory is correct, I think it was Labi who opened for the Jean/Mary/Cindy Supremes during their early '70s UK tour.

He went down very well at the show I attended.
    It could well have been that tour...probably was.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The show I went to at Manchester Apollo had Viola Wills in support and she is far from an unknown in Soul circles having been produced by Barry White early on and a UK hit with "Gonna Get Along Without Ya Now" which came after the Smokey show. Her release at the time was "Let's Love Now" which was a great record [[if disco).
    The show I referred to was, I think, at Davenport Theatre in Stockport. [[ i think!!l)
    I had seen Smokey previously...don't recall Viola Willis, a name I knew from her "I got love" by Barry White, a Northern big tune.
    If Smokey was at the Apollo I would be there...the singer I skipped was not her.
    Last edited by snakepit; 05-05-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I was never surprised at the lack of understanding of UK promoters who could mismatch opening acts with soul acts. The only time I was amazed was when Bloodstone, completely unknown, opened for Al Green.
    Bloodstone became pretty popular here in America in 1973-74.

I remember that the band "Sweet Sensation" from Manchester toured as the Supremes opening act in 1975.

Yes I was there.

Yes I was there.
    Yeah? I've seen one of the concert tour posters. Good show?

From what I recall yes....they had 2 hits here iI think.
    I remember them saluting their family in a private box.

From what I recall yes....they had 2 hits here iI think.
    I remember them saluting their family in a private box.
    Sweet Sensation's big hit here in North America was "Sad Sweet Dreamer" first heard it in early 1975. Their lead singer, Marcel King died tragically in 1995.