[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" - the lp version

Fun to compare to the excellent live version -

I love this even though it's not an A&S song or production. I think it fits well on the debut album, especially because of its similarity/connection to Someday We'll Be Together.

I really love this song. Shouldve been a major hit IMHO.

Sometimes I wonder if this could have been the debut solo single. It shares much with Someday, not least a memorable hook. I can't imagine it a #1, but Reach Out and Touch was barely a Top 20. I can imagine this as an attention-getting Top Ten. The timely release of the A&S album soon after would pave the way for releasing the stunning ANMHE, which is a #1 in any scenario I can imagine.

... “Someday We'll Be Together" part 2... [[brilliant though)

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    ... “Someday We'll Be Together" part 2... [[brilliant though)
    Hi Tom! Yes, and I would LOVE someone to create a mash-up of the two, they fit together so well!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Hi Tom! Yes, and I would LOVE someone to create a mash-up of the two, they fit together so well!
    YES! What a wonderful idea PNH!

I was immediately drawn to the somewhat country groove when I first heard this. The background harmonies and arrangement are beautiful. Who were the other artists who recorded this?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    YES! What a wonderful idea PNH!
    Maybe a certain, young and tech-knowledgeable British citizen could make this a project

This great song should have been released as a single!

Kupper remix should keep this slower pace!

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    This great song should have been released as a single!
    I disagree. There is not enough lyrical substance in this song. Also, I think there should have been more joy in Ross voice when she sings “These things will keep me loving you.”

I was immediately drawn to the somewhat country groove when I first heard this.
    I never picked up a country groove before. Just always thought it as really catchy pop/R&B that Ross excels with. But I hear what you mean. R&B and Country are connected in many ways.

I agree with Circa 1824 on this one. As much as I like Diana this version makes me fall asleep. I like the Velvelettes version a lot more and they have a better backing track with the heavy drums [[just my opinion). I do like the background singers on Diana's version, who ever they are.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Maybe a certain, young and tech-knowledgeable British citizen could make this a project
    If I find one of them, I'll ask 'em myself

Although I love this version, this would never have been released as a single as its predecessor, 'Someday We'll Be Together" was assigned to DRATS so Motown needed a different sound for a Diana Ross solo hit.
    However, this song did prompt the release of the the original Velvelettes version in the U.K. where it became a hit on the British charts in 1971.

For me, the whole album is a masterpiece. Each song is presented as a mini-melodrama with Diana at her vocal peak. I really like the darker tone on many of the songs which she handles with consummate skill and artistry.
    I kinda wish Motown had done the unexpected and taken a chance with a song like “Where There Was Darkness” or “Dark Side Of The World” as a single. It might just have surprised everyone and led to a similar approach in future recording projects.
    The superb quality of these recordings ensures that the album remains timeless, and will probably still sound as great in another 50 years.

Love this song. I agree with Ollie the album is a masterpiece. IMO too