[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross "You're All I Need To Get By"

Third track from Diana's solo debut. A great version of this oft-covered beauty - the A&S backing vocals on this one are superb; so haunting -

Many prefer this to the Marvin/Tammi version.

Whilst this is a very good performance, I am one of Diana Ross' fans who feel that the Marvin and Tammi original cannot be beaten.

There is a magic in the original that just cannot be beaten in my opinion.

To me, both versions are equally great. What I love about the Ross one is that it is not just a cover version of the song, but that she really makes the song her own [[other than f.e. the Marvin/Tammi duets cover versions by DR and the Supremes and the Temptations). A nice touch by A&S is the intro verse "When I was just a little girl....", which gives it the character of an American Songbook composition.

Did anyone else notice that odd noise [[almost like an echo) heard in the background after Diana sings the first phrase of the introduction to this song?

beautiful version of the song

This track, along with I WOULDN'T CHANGE THE MAN HE IS and KEEP AN EYE, are the only tracks I find less than satisfactory when playing this album. I don't think Diana's versions are bad but for me, they don't measure up to the originals by Marvin and Tammi, Blinky, and DRATS.

Diana is fantastic on “I wouldn’t change the man”. I had never heard Blinky’s version so there was nothing to compare it to. Even now that I have heard Blinky’s version, I still think Diana’s version is fantastic. I was never a person who compared artists. I judged Diana’s version its own merits. In my opinion it’s one of her most soulful tracks. This was a solid, great debut album. Matter of fact it is one of the best debut albums of any artist.

I really enjoy “you’re all I need”. I Like the opening line “ when I was a little girl I wanted the world at my feet”. Ashford and Simpson were truly Gifted writers/producer/singers. Legendary talents. The combo of Diana and Ashford and Simpson was a match made in heaven.

I don't like it. I don't hate it, but I definitely don't like it. While the intro is very Diana, her version really doesn't take the song anywhere. Marvin and Tammi's version is perfection. And I love Aretha's version as much as Marvin and Tammi's. Queen Ree took the song somewhere the original didn't go. Even Method Man and Mary J's version is great and has a unique take. Diana's always sounds like a second rate cover of the original, good enough as album filler like some other covers she recorded with the Supremes, but not good enough to make anybody forget the other versions. This is the one song on side one I'm usually guaranteed to skip.

I prefer Diana's version. I really loved Marvin & Tammi's single from the first time I heard it in 1968. Diana's version is different in approach and execution. Yet both are A&S productions! Ross's version has edged ahead for me more and more the last 20-30 years.

I think A&S were really wise in creating a completely different interpretation of the song. Diana’s vocal is languid, sexy and seductive. Nothing at all like the star crossed lovers on the M&T version. I love both versions of the song, but for me Diana just pips all to the winning post.

Nice version, but there is definitely an unbeatable and unrepeatable sense of magic in the Marvin & Tammi original!! Aretha's version is also lovely!

Great comments from all, and I've always particularly liked Dionne's somewhat underconsidered version from her killer 'Soulful' lp. The galloping & gospel take really puts a new spin on this great song -