[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Odyssey 1972

Odyssey 1972

Hi everyone! I had come across this before, but rediscovered it recently... a group on Mowest called Odyssey who released one self-titled album in 1972: https://www.discogs.com/Odyssey-Odyssey/master/127409

Just wondering if any of you guys had the LP back in the day or have it now, and what you thought / think of it?! I think its a really fascinating album, with some really nice tracks on it.

Thank you for bringing this up. It is a fascinating album. My favorites are "Georgia Song", "Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love", and "Battened Ships", but I like the album overall. I did not have it when it originally came out. I do have the CD now and glad I bought it.

The CD has been released a couple of times and one of their songs provided the title track on the Mowest Story CD "Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love Motown's Mowest Story 1971-1973". Altogether they had 3 songs on that album - the title track, plus "Battened Ships" and "Broken Road". Certainly interesting tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hi everyone! I had come across this before, but rediscovered it recently... a group on Mowest called Odyssey who released one self-titled album in 1972: https://www.discogs.com/Odyssey-Odyssey/master/127409

Just wondering if any of you guys had the LP back in the day or have it now, and what you thought / think of it?! I think its a really fascinating album, with some really nice tracks on it.
    Are they the same group that had a hit with "Native New Yorker" later on in 1977?

I was wondering the same thing....

No they're not the same group

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    No they're not the same group
    Thank you mysterysinger.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thank you mysterysinger.
    Sometimes I just have to know the details......
    https://www.discogs.com/Odyssey-Odyssey/release/1144429

I friggin' love this band.....

I thought "Native New Yorker" was alot earlier then '77. I know it was on RCA, I thought it was one of the first "disco" records

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I thought "Native New Yorker" was alot earlier then '77. I know it was on RCA, I thought it was one of the first "disco" records
    Motony, it came out in late '77, my last year of high school. Disco had been going strong for several years by then.

Thanks guys! I too really like the album... very groovy... and very much an early 70s California vibe about it My favourites are "Battened Ships", "Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love" and "Black Top Island [[Of The West)"...!

Fantastic uptempo track... I even saw it included in a Motown Northern Soul compilation!!

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    http://www.discosavvy.com/discoearly70s.html

Frankie Valli also recorded "Native New Yorker" and it's very good too, can be found on YouTube I think

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Motony, it came out in late '77, my last year of high school. Disco had been going strong for several years by then.
    Wow, I musta been in a disco fog, guess it was Rock The Boat I was thinking of that was also on RCA

"Our Lives Are Shaped By What we Love"

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

Fantastic uptempo track... I even saw it included in a Motown Northern Soul compilation!!
    Indeed, it was included in the UK on the Motown Floorshakers 40 track compilation, and in fact was the first time I had heard the track! I'm pleased to say that I have since picked up a 45 of Battened ships on Japanese Mowest....

One of Odyssey’s best songs fit comfortably in a Motown medley concluding a Winter Holidays mix-CD with a “fragility of relationships/losses/new loves/God’s intentions” theme I built around the inspirational Rita Coolidge title song Circle Of Light:

A Christmas Song For You – Kem/Love’s Lines, Angles and Rhymes – Diana Ross/Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love – Odyssey/Heaven Must Have Sent You – The Elgins/Your Precious Love – Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell.

Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love is such a perfectly realized, elegant hybrid of jazz, soul and perhaps rock and folk; it seemed like Odyssey was poised for great and lasting success and it is sad that the group disappeared so quickly.