[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Discusses Enduring Physical Abuse and Judaism

Fascinating, articulate, intelligent interview. Haven’t ever seen this...

https://youtu.be/np8k979UJpg

This is a duplicate thread - Marv already posted this. This is what I’m talking about with the constant threads for each and every Eric Iversen video of Mary...better to just link to his channel. The forum is being taken over.

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    This is a duplicate thread - Marv already posted this. This is what I’m talking about with the constant threads for each and every Eric Iversen video of Mary...better to just link to his channel. The forum is being taken over.
    I hadn’t seen Mary’s thread but I thought the subject matter and her interview is fascinating. I have now seen Marv’s thread and, frankly, think the thread title of mine might draw more discourse as I don’t recall Mary ever addressing the abuse she endured during her marriage in any interview.

I haven’t signed on in a while and had not noticed the number of threads devoted to Eric’s channel. I’ve seen many of his videos but chose to post this one for the reasons mentioned above as it’s heartbreaking to me to see that beautiful woman talking about performing with a blackeye. And, while I knew Mary while this was going on, it was never anything she discussed with me although a couple of the girls discussed it with me. There were a few times where I thought that she looked like she may have taken a recent blow to the face, but I’m not sure if I was looking for it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I hadn’t seen Mary’s thread but I thought the subject matter and her interview is fascinating. I have now seen Marv’s thread and, frankly, think the thread title of mine might draw more discourse as I don’t recall Mary ever addressing the abuse she endured during her marriage in any interview.

I haven’t signed on in a while and had not noticed the number of threads devoted to Eric’s channel. I’ve seen many of his videos but chose to post this one for the reasons mentioned above as it’s heartbreaking to me to see that beautiful woman talking about performing with a blackeye. And, while I knew Mary while this was going on, it was never anything she discussed with me although a couple of the girls discussed it with me. There were a few times where I thought that she looked like she may have taken a recent blow to the face, but I’m not sure if I was looking for it or not.
    It is definitely one of Mary's better interviews. Most of the time Mary is booked on shows to talk her claim to fame, being a member of the Supremes, which is great. As long as she keeps talking them, the group will retain some relevance since TPTB choose to ignore significant anniversaries or any attempt to gain more fans. Anyway, with this interview we get more of Mary without much of her connection to Diana or Flo or any other Supreme. Domestic violence is a subject that still needs to be covered widely and in depth, and more women with platforms need to speak about it. I was glad to see Mary's PSA about it. I had never seen it before. And now to hear her talk about it with Grobin, she is saying some real stuff. I'd like to see her do more with this subject. My favorite part was her reaction to Charles "amazement" that she, one of the mighty Supremes, had managed to become involved in this kind of relationship, and she letting him know that he's thinking about it all wrong. Domestic violence is an across the board issue. Name a group of people, whether race, religion, wealth status, etc, and domestic violence is very present. Yes, definitely one of Mary's better interviews.

Amazing interview. I kinda remembered her talking about being a survivor of domestic violence.

There were clips of Mary performing in "Grandma Sylvia's Funeral" that aired on local New York television stations. I am wondering now if there is a video of the show out there somewhere.

Marv I think there is a short clip on one of Mary's interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yes, definitely one of Mary's better interviews.
    You do write beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Marv I think there is a short clip on one of Mary's interviews.
    Oh ok. Thanks DET. I have clips of the show from WNBC Channel 4 NY that I taped from TV news.

out of curiosity, what legal action was ever taken by Mary against Pedro regarding the abuse? other than the divorce obviously

if there was no legal documentation, can someone go on national tv and claim their former spouse abused them? without documentation, couldn't that be considered slander?

not attempting to discount what Mary went through. just asking from a legal perspective

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    out of curiosity, what legal action was ever taken by Mary against Pedro regarding the abuse? other than the divorce obviously

if there was no legal documentation, can someone go on national tv and claim their former spouse abused them? without documentation, couldn't that be considered slander?

not attempting to discount what Mary went through. just asking from a legal perspective
    Why don't you ask Tina Turner? Ask that woman that is accusing Joe Biden of sexual assault. That really is kind of a dumb question, no it is a dumb question. By 1996, Mary Wilson had already written two full autobiographies. She knew what constituted slander by then. Trust me!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-05-2020 at 09:30 PM. Reason: dumb question that has nothing to do with the subject

In her second book, Mary wrote that court orders of protection aren't worth the paper they are written on. She didn't say that she filed any but she could have, as she went on to say that even after their divorce, there were confrontations.

Re any repercussions from her ex-spouse, I suppose he could have protested but Mary could also have probably responded with people who witnessed the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    You do write beautifully.
    Why thank ya Brotha! I'll take my compliments whenever I can get them.

If Pedro had decided to go the slander suit route it would've probably been through "libel" which is usually written defamation, as in Mary's second book where she details her domestic abuse survivor's story. Because her story was true, he would have no grounds. Apparently Mary had enough witnesses to at least her bruised and battered body, including the other Supremes, that Pedro probably knew he didn't have a prayer of a case, if he even considered it at all.

For awhile Ike Turner claimed he didn't beat Tina either. He was never dumb enough to take that claim to court.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do play one on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Why don't you ask Tina Turner? Ask that woman that is accusing Joe Biden of sexual assault. That really is kind of a dumb question, no it is a dumb question. By 1996, Mary Wilson had already written two full autobiographies. She knew what constituted slander by then. Trust me!
    It actually is a good question. What possible legal fallout is there for a person who makes an accusation like domestic abuse in a book or an interview if it's disputed by the other party? In this case, I've never heard anything about Pedro publicly disputing any of Mary's claims. That he's not really a public figure would make his case a bit easier if he did claim what Mary said is false. From the little bit of reading I've done on the subject, public figures have a much harder time winning defamation cases. That's why with everything that has been written about Mary, Diana, Gordy, and the rest of the Motown stable that they claim isn't true, there have been no suits, except for the one Gordy brought against Tall Tales Turner for saying Gordy molested him. Most celebrities don't even think it's worth the fight to file these suits. Someone like Pedro on the other hand might have more incentive, but like I said, he's never disputed Mary's claims so there's no reason to doubt her story.

It actually is a good question. What possible legal fallout is there for a person who makes an accusation like domestic abuse in a book or an interview if it's disputed by the other party? In this case, I've never heard anything about Pedro publicly disputing any of Mary's claims. That he's not really a public figure would make his case a bit easier if he did claim what Mary said is false. From the little bit of reading I've done on the subject, public figures have a much harder time winning defamation cases. That's why with everything that has been written about Mary, Diana, Gordy, and the rest of the Motown stable that they claim isn't true, there have been no suits, except for the one Gordy brought against Tall Tales Turner for saying Gordy molested him. Most celebrities don't even think it's worth the fight to file these suits. Someone like Pedro on the other hand might have more incentive, but like I said, he's never disputed Mary's claims so there's no reason to doubt her story.
    Not only that, but Pedro Ferrer also studied law and I believe is an attorney now! I also cannot believe this person is a Supremes fan and is all of a sudden concerned about Mr. Ferrer's reputation? Really?

thanks Ran - i can still see Marv's inane comments when they're replied to. and i knew he would jump on my question. Obviously he's either illiterate or didn't bother reading my full post as i clearly said i was not doubting her story. just asking about the legal question of what one can state publicly.

Also has Mary continued her work with battered women? in the early 90s she was quite active with the cause doing lectures and support for the problem. but that was 25+ years ago. any recent activity?