[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes/Soft Days...Again...LOL

So maybe I missed this in recent threads...I know I am soooooooo out of the loop sometimes, but is it true that Jean Terrell never did finish this song? Is this the main reason for this not getting released to cd?

No,never finish,not just The Supremes,Mary Jean and Lynda,but Stevie Wonder never finish producing it.
    Please stay positive

Must have been a frustrating time for all of them at this point. I guess I would say then, that we should not expect this song to ever get an official release? Love it though.....Very mellow and and nice to hear the Supremes do something that is so out of the ordinary........Maybe we will always have youtube or a burned cd version?
    Last edited by aarondillon2011@gmail.com; 03-25-2011 at 05:44 AM.

Rumour has it, Jean left while this track was being recorded, and Mary went back in and finished it.
    According to a poster on youtube for a BabyBollox mix of the track, there is a full solo Mary Wilson version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eTBGCWt0Ng
    and according to an interview with Motown afficianado Sharon Davis, Lynda recorded lead vocal for a verse of "Soft Days"
    http://www.bluesandsoul.com/feature/...emely_blessed/
    Anybody shed any light on this??

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    Rumour has it, Jean left while this track was being recorded, and Mary went back in and finished it.
    According to a poster on youtube for a BabyBollox mix of the track, there is a full solo Mary Wilson version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eTBGCWt0Ng
    and according to an interview with Motown afficianado Sharon Davis, Lynda recorded lead vocal for a verse of "Soft Days http://www.bluesandsoul.com/feature/...emely_blessed/ Anybody shed any light on this??
    I'm sure Ms. Laurence didn't even wait until Jean's mike cooled off before she so "helpfully" recorded a verse. Love that Lynda! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    I'm sure Ms. Laurence didn't even wait until Jean's mike cooled off before she so "helpfully" recorded a verse. Love that Lynda! LOL

LOL! You'd better stop, they are going to jump on you about that woman, hehehehehehe......LOL!

Stevie Wonder wrote and produced three songs for the group during this time. "Bad Weather," "Soft Days," and "I"ll Wait A Lifetime." I heard that he was going to do an entire album with them, but it was nixed when "Bad Weather" failed on the charts. However, I feel he wrote more songs with them in mind. If you listen to "Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta," there are several tracks which sound as though they were written for Jean's voice such as "I'm Goin' Left," "Cause We've Ended Now As Lovers," and "Universal Sound of The World."

Rumor also has it that Jean recorded "Until You Come Back To Me" before Stevie suggested the song to Aretha Franklin.

I've always really liked "Bad Weather" and would have loved to hear a whole Stevie-Supremes LP...

when I first heard that SW was working with The Supemes, I was jubilant, I thought sure that would put them back on top;
    then I heard "Bad Weather", what a let down, it was too slow, it almost sounded like it was a defective turntable [[it wasn't), the song dragged instead of kicked like most SW singles do,when they did a more energetic version on "Soul Train" it was clear what the record should have been but by then it was too late

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    If you listen to "Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta," there are several tracks which sound as though they were written for Jean's voice such as "I'm Goin' Left," "Cause We've Ended Now As Lovers," and "Universal Sound of The World."Rumor also has it that Jean recorded "Until You Come Back To Me" before Stevie suggested the song to Aretha Franklin.
    I have to agree. I remember the first time I heard the "Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta" album I thought some of the songs sounded like they were written for Jean. Especially "Heavy Day." I think "Until You Come Back To Me" would have been a perfect song for Jean. Just perfect. So many opportunities purposely missed.

she also brought "Never Can Say Goodbye" to Motown and then saw it snatched away for the J5; can you imagine Jean's voice in the original production of that record?..perfect...the version the Supremes eventually recorded was sub standard, production wise, a sleep walker version...just like "Bad Weather"...

Soft days is one of my favourite tracks by the Supremes, and I know I'm lucky to have a copy of this. I know it's usually said that the track wasn't finished, but as far as I'm concerned, it is because it's a beautiful track, superbly sung by Jean, and the contribution by Mary at the end is just perfect.

If this is unfinished, can I have some more unfinished tracks please?

I have to agree! It has a beautiful tender raw quality. One of my favourites. Would love to hear the other versions though.