[REMOVE ADS]

Very interesting Marv. Thanks!

You're most welcome Luke. I love the part of the story when Kenny Thomas says "In comes Mary Wilson....and I die!" LOL!!!!

Thanks for posting this marv2. I’m surprised that nothing was said about how the song's title went from “Stone Love” to “Stoned Love.” If it hadn’t changed, the Supremes may have performed it multiple times on television which could have pushed it to the top of the pop charts. Pity.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Thanks for posting this marv2. I’m surprised that nothing was said about how the song's title went from “Stone Love” to “Stoned Love.” If it hadn’t changed, the Supremes may have performed it multiple times on television which could have pushed it to the top of the pop charts. Pity.
    I don't think they knew at the time the song was created and later recorded that some Motown employee would make that mistake with the title of the record.

Nice post. I really enjoy reading the history of those Motown songs. It’s hard to imagine that Gordy thought the song garbage. Add Marvin’s “What’s Going On” to his list and you really have to question the guys musical ear.

I remember chatting with Kenny some years ago, and I was amazed that he had written this, and seemed to be so pleased that I knew the song. Yes, it had been a huge hit, but we're talking at least 20-25 years after the Supremes had disbanded. I told him about Sweet Brandy who had recorded a version of the song and released it. He wasn't aware of that particular version [[it's nowhere near as good as the Supremes' - but Sweet Brandy's take on it was very much a disco / hi-energy style).

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Nice post. I really enjoy reading the history of those Motown songs. It’s hard to imagine that Gordy thought the song garbage. Add Marvin’s “What’s Going On” to his list and you really have to question the guys musical ear.
    Excellent point Ollie. I am sure there were other songs he did not care for that the public loved. Remember he was selling Jazz at his record shop, while everyone wanted R&B.

Keep on posting Marv and thanks. Didn’t one of Marvin’s songs simulate smoking a joint? I can’t imagine Gordy calling SL garbage. But you are right, he made that mistake a few times !!! So great to hear the history of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Keep on posting Marv and thanks. Didn’t one of Marvin’s songs simulate smoking a joint? I can’t imagine Gordy calling SL garbage. But you are right, he made that mistake a few times !!! So great to hear the history of the song.
    Two years before "Stoned Love", he released "Cloud Nine" by the Temptations. Even as a kid I believed that song had more hints about smoking weed than any other Motown song.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Excellent point Ollie. I am sure there were other songs he did not care for that the public loved. Remember he was selling Jazz at his record shop, while everyone wanted R&B.
    Perhaps i’m doing the man an injustice, but he also stifled any creative ambitions the Jackson 5 wanted to express which led to their departure from the label.
    Marvin and Stevie of course had the clout to insist on being allowed to write and produce their own material. It would be interesting to know what he really thought of the music NW produced on the Temptations.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    I remember chatting with Kenny some years ago, and I was amazed that he had written this, and seemed to be so pleased that I knew the song. Yes, it had been a huge hit, but we're talking at least 20-25 years after the Supremes had disbanded. I told him about Sweet Brandy who had recorded a version of the song and released it. He wasn't aware of that particular version [[it's nowhere near as good as the Supremes' - but Sweet Brandy's take on it was very much a disco / hi-energy style).
    Kenny should understand that there are people around the world that know this song!

You're most welcome Luke. I love the part of the story when Kenny Thomas says "In comes Mary Wilson....and I die!" LOL!!!!
    Yes. Those of us on planet reality literally laughed out loud when he said that.

The choir do a really good job here. “Stoned Love” is one of those evergreen songs that will never age. I have never seen this before, as such really enjoyed it.

to the general public, it is the most recognizable 70's Supremes song....Up The Ladder, Everybody's Got The Right to Love, Stoned Love and River Deep Mountain High all got airplay on NYC's WABC...so did Remember Me and I'm Still Waiting

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    to the general public, it is the most recognizable 70's Supremes song....Up The Ladder, Everybody's Got The Right to Love, Stoned Love and River Deep Mountain High all got airplay on NYC's WABC...so did Remember Me and I'm Still Waiting
    All of those plus Floy Joy and Nathan Jones received a lot of airplay on the Detroit stations back in the day. CKLW especially. "Bill, When Are You Coming Back" was played as if it had been released as a single on some Soul stations.

All of those plus Floy Joy and Nathan Jones received a lot of airplay on the Detroit stations back in the day. CKLW especially. "Bill, When Are You Coming Back" was played as if it had been released as a single on some Soul stations.
    River Deep is still played in my spinning class. Marv don't forget WKNR 13!!!!! My grandfather listened to WJR all day long and they did play 70 Sups especially "You
    Turn Me Around".

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    River Deep is still played in my spinning class. Marv don't forget WKNR 13!!!!! My grandfather listened to WJR all day long and they did play 70 Sups especially "You
    Turn Me Around".
    Who could forget KEENER 13!? WCWA in Toledo would play "I'll Guess I Miss the Man"
    "Automatically Sunshine" and "You Turn Me Around". They actually went through the album cuts in those days.

The trouble with the mistaken song title, "Stoned Love" makes me wonder how did the 5th Dimension get away with their song "Stoned Soul Picnic" becoming a big hit just a few years earlier?