[REMOVE ADS]

Hamilton Bohannon?!??

I’m seeing several posts on Instagram that he has transitioned, but can’t find any substantiation. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, unfortunately, it is true. This was in my box:

https://www.soultracks.com/story-hamilton-bohannon-dies

Sorry to learn this. Another nice guy gone.

He also produced the Originals in 1981:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4n9x53yblo

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes, unfortunately, it is true. This was in my box:

https://www.soultracks.com/story-hamilton-bohannon-dies
    Wow...another piece of the soundtrack of our lives. Rest in the groove. Thanks, Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    He also produced the Originals in 1981:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4n9x53yblo

Best regards
    Heikki
    This sounds very good. Very early 80s type groove. Remember Patrice Rushen's music at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Wow...another piece of the soundtrack of our lives. Rest in the groove. Thanks, Marv.
    Hamilton produced one of the greatest dance records of all time with "Let's Start the Groove" in 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Hamilton produced one of the greatest dance records of all time with "Let's Start the Groove" in 1978.
    And remember this one?:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    And remember this one?:

Oh most definitely! Loved it too!

That's sad news. Let's start II dance is still costing me show leather even today. Awesome stompin music RIP Mr B

"Bohannon, make it funky...a yum yum gimme some!!

Remember how in the Tom Tom Clubs' song "Genius of Love" how they chanted his name...."Bohannon, Bohannon, Bohannon"?

I'll never forget how Tom Tom Club saluted him amongst other soul/r&b legends in their
    song Genius Of Love...RIP Bohannon...

Detroit back in the day! From "The Scene" in 1978!

Always wondered, was he related to Motown studio musician George Bohannon?

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Always wondered, was he related to Motown studio musician George Bohannon?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  21.1 KB
    I've always wondered that, too. I think there is a possibility, because it is a rare name. But I've found no evidence of any connection, other than both of them having worked at Motown in the early '60s. Hamilton was from a small town in Georgia. George was from Detroit. His name was spelt: "Bohanon". The spelling used at Motown "Bohannon" is believed to have been a mistake, caused by continued confusion from a misprint. But, there may have been confusion with Hamilton, involved, as well. George's family could have been remotely related, and might have originated in Georgia, as, by far, the largest percentage of African-American families living in Detroit during the 1940s and '50s had migrated there from The South. And small changes of spellings [[especially by a single letter) in family names are quite common. But no connection is known, as far as I know.

"Well, these are just a bunch of guys from Detroit, name of Bohannon. They can play the music straight but they thought they'd double clutch it for you". "Checking Out", a co-write with Marvin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58L4vrWFGc0
    Last edited by malwright; 04-25-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  21.1 KB
    I've always wondered that, too. I think there is a possibility, because it is a rare name. But I've found no evidence of any connection, other than both of them having worked at Motown in the early '60s. Hamilton was from a small town in Georgia. George was from Detroit. His name was spelt: "Bohanon". The spelling used at Motown "Bohannon" is believed to have been a mistake, caused by continued confusion from a misprint. But, there may have been confusion with Hamilton, involved, as well. George's family could have been remotely related, and might have originated in Georgia, as, by far, the largest percentage of African-American families living in Detroit during the 1940s and '50s had migrated there from The South. And small changes of spellings [[especially by a single letter) in family names are quite common. But no connection is known, as far as I know.
    Right, Robb, about his roots in GA. He had a mansion in Southwest Atlanta/Fulton County, Ben Hill Section.
    It was off a heavily wooded graveled road. Having migrated there in the '70's,
    we kids would venture there out of curiousity. It was gated and had a humongous "B" circled by expensive stone. Needless to say, that was but one of my brushes with fame! "Bohannon, make it funky!" Tee hee

This was my favorite song by him

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    This was my favorite song by him
    Wow! I have not heard this is so long. Thanks Glen!

A real shame. Hamilton was one funky dude.

Bohannon was always special to me. In thinking about it, why that was, I think a great deal of it was because Hamilton Bohannon was my first artist that I learned of and was drawn to that wasn't spoon fed to me via the radio. I found him on my own , heard DANCE YOUR ASS OFF at a club , which at the time [[ seems tame listening now), but at the time , he really stood out, with this very avant-garde drum based sound . And when I sought it out, the album cover itself seemed so crude and mysterious, I had to have it!

The song seems too simple, too repetitious , but yet it isn't , there's an ongoing building tension to it. The screaming strings don't come in until almost four minutes [[halfway) into the song and the song's punchline ...the song's title, isn't heard but once ....finally ...at the very end of the song ....followed by crowd noise.

Bohannon was very religious, I think this song's title and lyric were a bit of a reach for him . He certainly didn't overplay it , and it isn't him delivering it either. This is the only 'foul' word on the entire LP ..... and maybe of Bohannon's entire career as well ???

But it's a good thing it's on there, that's the line I remembered and that's how I tracked it down , and that's how I came to know and be a fan of Bohannon.

RIP my friend.

Well this is what I remember most of Hamilton Bohannon - his biggest UK hit and only Top 10 [[which didn't fare too well elsewhere). Someone had to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Well this is what I remember most of Hamilton Bohannon - his biggest UK hit and only Top 10 [[which didn't fare too well elsewhere). Someone had to post it.
    Someone had to and I’m glad that you did. It’s a great track and possibly his most melodic offering.

To use Olde English, it’s a fave rave.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Thank you Mystery!!!

For over forty years I've only known this guy as a photograph. To see him in action is REALLY a treat! Very special to actually witness.
    He's kind of an anomaly, all that focus on party music , yet he seems quite timid, subdued.

Did Bohannon ever tour ? I can't recall the opportunity ...