[REMOVE ADS]

Motown songs with muted horns

I've always liked the way muted horns sound. Right now, I can only think of 3 Motown songs that have muted horns:

1. Try It Baby - Marvin Gaye
    2. Friendship Train - Gladys Knight and the Pips
    3. Forever Came Today - Diana Ross and the Supremes

What others are there?

I am not sure if this qualifies for this discussion but I have always noticed that Back in My Arms Again has an interesting horn treatment, especially over the last 45 seconds or so of the song. I am not sure how to describe it in writing, but if you listen to the ending of the song, first you hear a more bombastic horn section, then a quieter one and they alternate as the song fades out. Hope that is making sense.

Maddening because there's a real good one going round in my mind and I can't put my finger on it lol, but there are others such as "Walk Away Renee" for sure, plus "Come On And See Me" Tammi's solo version plus Chris Clark which uses the same backing.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-24-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Not muted but in the interesting horn category lol the very start of "I'm Letting Go" by Thelma Houston. Always loved that.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Maddening because there's a real good one going round in my mind and I can't put my finger on it lol, but there are others such as "Walk Away Renee" for sure, plus "Come On And See Me" Tammi's solo version plus Chris Clark which uses the same backing.
    Walk Away Renee and Come On and See Me ...how could I have overlooked those??!! Two of my favorite tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I am not sure if this qualifies for this discussion but I have always noticed that Back in My Arms Again has an interesting horn treatment, especially over the last 45 seconds or so of the song. I am not sure how to describe it in writing, but if you listen to the ending of the song, first you hear a more bombastic horn section, then a quieter one and they alternate as the song fades out. Hope that is making sense.
    I've always loved that horn arrangement. I believe it's the combination of alto saxophone and trombones [[maybe bass trombones) playing that distinctive figure. At the fade, it's the same arrangement, but it might be just the brass section is playing a bit softer for the fade out. Note: apparently that horn arrangement made a big impression on everyone as there is even a radio jingle from probably the best jingle company ever, PAMS. They use the riff to open the jingle followed by a soprano scat singing the melody line of the lyric "I've got him back in my arms again". There is no denying they were listening to what Motown was doing.

"Thy Nitty Gritty" by Gladys Knight & The Pips. You can hear muted trumpets on the ending., Marvin Gaye's "So Long"

Hey WaitingWatching, what is actually meant by 'muted horns'? The sound reduced or muffled in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey WaitingWatching, what is actually meant by 'muted horns'? The sound reduced or muffled in some way?
    Hey, Tom! I'm not WaitingWatching, but here's a demo:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post

Hey sans! Thank you!! So a mute is an additional part that you can put in a trumpet to change its sound. Well there you go!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey sans! Thank you!! So a mute is an additional part that you can put in a trumpet to change its sound. Well there you go!
    My pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post

I'm glad you fielded that question! I like this video you attached

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I'm glad you fielded that question! I like this video you attached
    Glad to oblige.

I was going to say, why would you ever want to mute a trumpet? LOL. Now I know

Honey Chile
    Forget Me Not

Finally remembered the one I was trying to think of in post 3 above and it's "Together" by Marvin Gaye & Mary Wells. Phew.

"Seek And You Shall Find" by The Isley Brothers, which closes their "This Old Heart Of Mine" album, has a lovely hot muted trumpet that helps to build the excitement as the song goes into the final verse.

Not a Hitsville recording but a great track that really smoulders and then burns.

It's too bad soul/r&b music was never as well documented as jazz in the 60's-early 70's...Motown used a variety of trumpeters but now I curious as to who was playing
    with the mute. I know Maurice Davis was like one of the "go-to" guys for trumpet
    but I only remember him on open horns...

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    "Seek And You Shall Find" by The Isley Brothers, which closes their "This Old Heart Of Mine" album, has a lovely hot muted trumpet that helps to build the excitement as the song goes into the final verse.

Not a Hitsville recording but a great track that really smoulders and then burns.
    "Seek and You Shall Find" is an awesome song but I vastly prefer Marvin Gaye's version.

Does The Messengers version of "Seek and You Shall Find" use the same backing track as Marvin Gaye's? Seems to.

Don`t forget Jonah Jones`s two Motown albums. And for us old folk the great Humphrey Littleton.

Yo, can't forget Diana Ross & The Supremes' Cornet Man. "...Silver plated wah-wah mute!..."