[REMOVE ADS]

Cash Box Kings Question

You guys are so knowledgeable that I am sure someone can answer this question..........I was on the Sirius XM blues station this morning and they played a song called The Wine Talkin by the Cash Box Kings.

I was immediately impressed with it since it had a female lead. She sounded very much like Liz Mandeville, although I realize that is a name that might not be so familiar. So I made a mental note to look it up when I got home.

Turns out they are a Chicago based group on the Alligator label but the female lead is not credited any place that I can find and when I play clips of other songs on that CD or others, it appears to be an all-male group. If so, that would reduce my interest in them somewhat.

So does anyone know who that female lead is and if she can be found elsewhere, either on their CDs or perhaps on her own projects?

Blues singer Shemekia Copeland is the woman on the Cash Box Kings song. She's
    guesting; she's not joining the [[all male) group full time. She has her own long standing
    career which I've been following from the start. She's the daughter of blues singer
    Johnny Copeland....

Oh cool! I know Shemekia quite well and she should have been my first guess, especially since she says on the record that she was born in 1979. You are quite right about her own career, as she is one of my current blues favorites. Ironically I thought her debut album was her best and she has mellowed quite a bit since then, but I will still keep buying anything she puts out.

Married To The Blues from her first release was the song that sold me on her, killer track.But she's been growing and changing with every release. So much that her audience
    has expanded, her profiled raised. Her latest release 2018's America's Child cover's a lot
    of ground and features support from as diverse musicians such as Steve Cropper to
    Rhiannon Gittens [[former Carolina Chocolate Drop bangoist) to Emmylou Harris. Shemekia just can't keep still....

I hope she continues to record, especially since she is still so young. For me she has been a nice compensating factor for some of my old favorites such as Denise LaSalle, Ann Peebles, and E C Scott no longer being available for one reason or another. When her first CD came out I loved it, especially the cuts in which she really rocked out. "Big Lovin' Woman" is my personal favorite.

But it seems like she has been more introspective and more socially conscious in her last couple of CDs. I personally would rather see her return to her barrelhouse style blues. But as I said, I will buy whatever she puts out.

I see what you mean. Now you have me curious as to what you thought of the track Never
    Going Back To Memphis. I'm still crazy about that song. It creates imagery in mind like
    it should have had a video made to go with it. Too, the guitarist's solo is off the chain. A
    cat named Marc Ribot who I've known of for years but never really been a fan of before...