[REMOVE ADS]

COVID-19. Which Album Are You Playing The Most.....

With all of us now being forced to curtail our normal outdoor pursuits, i was wondering which album or albums fans been listening to the most.
    for me It's been 'Workin Overtime. It's no secret that i love the album and it has always been my go to when i am feeling a little stressed/fedup or a 'tad underpar.

Ollie I pretty much listen to the Supremes on my computer, where a lot of my music is stored. I have a playlist folder which contains separate folders devoted to what I think of as the four main phases of the group: the Flo years, the DRATS years, the Jean years, and the Scherrie years. Each of those folders contain the officially released albums from those time periods. Each album is basically my personal expanded edition, which includes songs from the actual expanded editions, as well as all songs within the time line but not included in the actual expandeds. Note: IMO there are five main phases to the Supremes, including the Barbara years. However, since the Barbara years never saw an album release, all of the Barbara tracks fall under the Flo years. Anyway, I said all of that to say that I rarely listen to a specific album anymore. I just play specific songs that I feel like hearing, or hit shuffle on one of the folders and enjoy myself.

But if there was an album that I could spotlight it would probably be A Go Go. I think lately I've been listening to that folder more than any other.

I know, I know. That was a hella long way to get to such a short answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    With all of us now being forced to curtail our normal outdoor pursuits, i was wondering which album or albums fans been listening to the most.
    for me It's been 'Workin Overtime. It's no secret that i love the album and it has always been my go to when i am feeling a little stressed/fedup or a 'tad underpar.
    Got a new turntable around Easter so it’s been “Scherrie and Susaye”, “Red Hot Rhythm & Blues”, “Eaten Alive” and the Copa!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Ollie I pretty much listen to the Supremes on my computer, where a lot of my music is stored. I have a playlist folder which contains separate folders devoted to what I think of as the four main phases of the group: the Flo years, the DRATS years, the Jean years, and the Scherrie years. Each of those folders contain the officially released albums from those time periods. Each album is basically my personal expanded edition, which includes songs from the actual expanded editions, as well as all songs within the time line but not included in the actual expandeds. Note: IMO there are five main phases to the Supremes, including the Barbara years. However, since the Barbara years never saw an album release, all of the Barbara tracks fall under the Flo years. Anyway, I said all of that to say that I rarely listen to a specific album anymore. I just play specific songs that I feel like hearing, or hit shuffle on one of the folders and enjoy myself.

But if there was an album that I could spotlight it would probably be A Go Go. I think lately I've been listening to that folder more than any other.

I know, I know. That was a hella long way to get to such a short answer.
    Not at all lol. I do like it, although It’s never been one of my most favourite albums [[ a few to many covers). Having said, all the recent conversation has prompted me to give my expanded A Go Go a spin this morning and it’s sounding good on this lovely, sunny morn.
    When all is said and done, i’m slightly more of a Diana solo guy although i play Supremes regularly.
    WO is my feel good album though with “Stand Together” being one of my favourite DR songs ever. The song and it’s lyrics kinda speak of what the world is going through at the mo....Would seem fitting if released as a single with all proceeds going to hospitals/research or such like.

I've been off Motown for a while [[I tend to cycle out to avoid wearing out my favs), so for me it has been Benny Goodman's 1935 Let's Dance broadcasts. Within Motown, I've been listening to Watchout! quite a bit.

Not at all lol. I do like it, although It’s never been one of my most favourite albums [[ a few to many covers). Having said, all the recent conversation has prompted me to give my expanded A Go Go a spin this morning and it’s sounding good on this lovely, sunny morn.
    When all is said and done, i’m slightly more of a Diana solo guy although i play Supremes regularly.
    WO is my feel good album though with “Stand Together” being one of my favourite DR songs ever. The song and it’s lyrics kinda speak of what the world is going through at the mo....Would seem fitting if released as a single with all proceeds going to hospitals/research or such like.
    That's one of the things I love about when we have discussions about the actual music. It will often cause me to listen to things I might ordinarily pass over, be it a song or a whole album.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I've been off Motown for a while [[I tend to cycle out to avoid wearing out my favs), so for me it has been Benny Goodman's 1935 Let's Dance broadcasts. Within Motown, I've been listening to Watchout! quite a bit.
    I definitely listen to way more non Motown than Motown. Interestingly, of Motown, I've been playing more Martha and the Vandellas than Supremes here lately too.

That's one of the things I love about when we have discussions about the actual music. It will often cause me to listen to things I might ordinarily pass over, be it a song or a whole album.
    It’s all about the music. It’s interesting how a discussion about a certain album can re-wet your appetite and make you want to hear it again.
    Talking of such, Is that Workin’ Overtime I hear emanating from your speakers today??.
    If i HAD to pick one album that I probably play the most over the course of a year it has to be the evergreen “Take Me Higher” set.

Truthfully, listening to a variety of music. Like Ran, I listen to music on my computer, mostly playlists. The past couple of weeks: Bill Withers, Kenny Rogers, 70's/80's/90's dance. Past couple of days I'm really into UK women [[Dusty, Petula, Marianne Faithful, Lulu, Alison Moyet, Annie Lennox, Dido, Amy Winehouse, Adele) and 70's non-Motown R&B [[everything from Brenda & the Tabulations to Barry White).

Of course, I always go back to Motown and, in particular Supremes and Diana Ross. I have to say, the albums I go back to the most [[both lately and in the past) have been Baby, It's Me and More Hits. George Solomon's EE have really bumped up Sing HDH, A Go Go and WDOLG.

my musical comfort food has been the three CD set THIS IS THE STORY The 70's Albums..never gets old

Talking of such, Is that Workin’ Overtime I hear emanating from your speakers today??.
    Ollie when I first saw this, I had been set to reply with some usual comedy. Instead I chose to actually listen to the entire WO album, something I never do. I have previously labeled the WO album as an album that sucks. I always liked the title cut, but for the most part I have not viewed this album favorably. My opinion has changed somewhat, and you are the catalyst for that. This album would've probably been very good in the hands of someone who was releasing a debut album. It may have even worked for a star like Jody Watley. On it's own, it's not a bad album. Maybe one or two bad songs, but that's most albums IMO. As I listened to it today, it really sounds like a lot of the other stuff I was listening to at the time in the emerging New Jack Swing era. The problem is that most of it just doesn't suit Ross IMO. It's hard for me to get into a NJS Diana Ross, with the title cut being the exception. But if I listen to the album and focus on the New Jack and not necessarily the Diana and New Jack, it's actually an album I may start playing a bit more from now on. Just a bit, but that's something.

Most recently, I've been listening to Diana Ross [[1970), in anticipation of the 50th anniversary of its release, as well as Surrender. Also, I've listened to Meet The Supremes, Where Did Our Love Go and More Hits.

On occasion I listen to Country, Western & Pop, I Hear A Symphony, Supremes A' Go-Go, Rodgers & Hart and Reflections, as well as Merry Christmas, At The Copa, Funny Girl and At The Talk Of The Town.

Usually, however, I listen to mix CDs with combinations of favorite songs from all of their albums, so I almost never spin some full albums, especially Holland-Dozier-Holland and Let The Sunshine In.

Similarly, I can listen only to the first four '70s Supremes albums [[and I skip some tracks on each of them), almost never listen to the duet albums with The Four Tops and never to the last three.

The satisfying Diana Ross album years end for me after An Evening With Diana Ross. From there on, I enjoy maybe 25% to 50% of each, at most. With some of the later albums, it was a real struggle to find three songs apiece to insert into CD mix sets, so much of her output I've listened to a few times when it was issued, and that was that.

Ollie when I first saw this, I had been set to reply with some usual comedy. Instead I chose to actually listen to the entire WO album, something I never do. I have previously labeled the WO album as an album that sucks. I always liked the title cut, but for the most part I have not viewed this album favorably. My opinion has changed somewhat, and you are the catalyst for that. This album would've probably been very good in the hands of someone who was releasing a debut album. It may have even worked for a star like Jody Watley. On it's own, it's not a bad album. Maybe one or two bad songs, but that's most albums IMO. As I listened to it today, it really sounds like a lot of the other stuff I was listening to at the time in the emerging New Jack Swing era. The problem is that most of it just doesn't suit Ross IMO. It's hard for me to get into a NJS Diana Ross, with the title cut being the exception. But if I listen to the album and focus on the New Jack and not necessarily the Diana and New Jack, it's actually an album I may start playing a bit more from now on. Just a bit, but that's something.
    I’m really pleased. Sometimes when you play an album after a long break you gain a different perspective. If nothing else, Diana sings with passion on the album like she’s really trying. I think they finally got the balance right with TMH. WO is perhaps a little to New Jack Swing while FBTP is a ‘tad to vanilla pop.
    The only song i usually skip is “What Can One Person Do” with that key being just that bit to high for these ears.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Truthfully, listening to a variety of music. Like Ran, I listen to music on my computer, mostly playlists. The past couple of weeks: Bill Withers, Kenny Rogers, 70's/80's/90's dance. Past couple of days I'm really into UK women [[Dusty, Petula, Marianne Faithful, Lulu, Alison Moyet, Annie Lennox, Dido, Amy Winehouse, Adele) and 70's non-Motown R&B [[everything from Brenda & the Tabulations to Barry White).

Of course, I always go back to Motown and, in particular Supremes and Diana Ross. I have to say, the albums I go back to the most [[both lately and in the past) have been Baby, It's Me and More Hits. George Solomon's EE have really bumped up Sing HDH, A Go Go and WDOLG.
    I also listen to a widish selection of music lucky. From Cleo Laine and Sarah Vaughn to Prince and Will Young. The constant being I always need my Diana fix. Hers is the voice I most connect with and probably always will.
    My fave British female vocalist is Mica Paris.
    From Petula Clarke to the Supremes......that’s quite a leap lol.