[REMOVE ADS]

Apollonia Slams Sheila E.'s Prince Tribute: 'You Are So Desperate to Be Relevant'

Apollonia's brief association with Prince back in the 80s hardly makes her relevant now. Sheila E. is an accomplished musician that had recorded and performed with Prince for years.

For the record, Sheila E had been in the business playing with not only her father, Pete Escovedo's band but backing Confunkshun, Marvin Gaye and George Duke before even
    the new kid o the block, Prince. And she's still in the game today. Prince didn't invent
    her but once upon a time he created Apollonia. In all fairness, let's say maybe he and Sheila had not been in contact much prior to his passing. Let's go as far as guessing yes,
    it's completely possible they had a falling out...Okay. Of the hour she spent on homeboy's
    jock what ten minutes even merits a memoir from this itch. I don't even remember anyone saying he and her had renewed their friendship and TMZ would have been all over that. Please.....

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    For the record, Sheila E had been in the business playing with not only her father, Pete Escovedo's band but backing Confunkshun, Marvin Gaye and George Duke before even
    the new kid o the block, Prince. And she's still in the game today. Prince didn't invent
    her but once upon a time he created Apollonia. In all fairness, let's say maybe he and Sheila had not been in contact much prior to his passing. Let's go as far as guessing yes,
    it's completely possible they had a falling out...Okay. Of the hour she spent on homeboy's
    jock what ten minutes even merits a memoir from this itch. I don't even remember anyone saying he and her had renewed their friendship and TMZ would have been all over that. Please.....
    hehehehehehehehehehe........Splanky! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Well [[and, as far as I know, factually) stated. We all love Prince, but I don't think he was the easiest person on earth to get along with! I thought it was a bit ... whatever ... for Appollonia to lash out so publicly.

I just found out about this and the first thing that comes to mind is that it's curious that Apollonia waited until the [[almost) fourth anniversary of Prince's death to come out with this attack on Sheila E. Sounds to me like someone trying to grab a bit of the spotlight.

There is no denying Sheila’s talent. But she has been milking Prince’ Death. If what is said about her and the charity funds is correct, that is foul.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    There is no denying Sheila’s talent. But she has been milking Prince’ Death. If what is said about her and the charity funds is correct, that is foul.
    Sheila has milked that well sooooooo many times; it has become boring. Stop it already.

I guess the question I have is who asked for Apollonia's opinion? For someone to peer out from obscurity to complain about someone else being desperate for relevancy seems to be a heavy dosage of projection. I'm admittedly unaware of anything that Sheila E. has done recently. But I'd rather hear someone who has better standing than Apollonia Kotero to stand up to defend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I guess the question I have is who asked for Apollonia's opinion? For someone to peer out from obscurity to complain about someone else being desperate for relevancy seems to be a heavy dosage of projection. I'm admittedly unaware of anything that Sheila E. has done recently. But I'd rather hear someone who has better standing than Apollonia Kotero to stand up to defend him.
    Exactly! I feel the same way. I don't think many people even know Apollonia or Apollonia 6. Her career was very very brief.

I too, not being really much of a pop culture hound, don't know what Sheila has been doing post Prince's passing or her motives. Also, as talented as I know she is I'm not
    saying she's an angel or that Prince, despite his name, was always a "prince". Still,
    the cat has worked with so many women, writing and or producing Nona Hendricks,
    Mavis Staples,Patti Labelle and Chaka Khan, none of them fly by night artists. On the beach of American musical history Apollonia to me is just a grain. Just my take on this mess...

Indeed. Apollonia is a complete non-entity as an entertainer. I wasn't aware that Prince and Apollonia had a connection that endured beyond "Purple Rain." Conversely, he continued to be musically associated with Sheila E. for years. I saw them perform together as late as his 2011 concerts at The Forum.

BTW, I love your phrase: "peer out from obscurity."

All I got to say about Apollonia is does the phrase flash in the pan mean anything to you? Shiela E. got the bloodline AND the skills! Think The Glamorous Life back inaday! Vanity you ain't!!

There's a Prince tribute on CBS tonight [[4/21); Sheila E is featured; Apollonia is not. Thereby hangs a tale.