[REMOVE ADS]

One album that holds a special spot in your heart

several of you have commented in the "comparing albums" thread that a specific album is especially dear to you. let's share!

this doesn't have to be your all time favorite. or one that you think is their very best.

maybe it's the first one you had. or one that helped you through a sad or dark time. or one that ties to a certain special memory

for me it's probably Where Did Our Love Go

this was a case of it being my first album. i was a young kid and i'd sit and stare at the picture. just entranced with their image. and would play all of the songs. didn't even really realized there were hits, flops and filler. just loved all of it

Without question, and far above any other album...
    Supremes A Go Go.

Name:  sagg.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  94.8 KB

Nothing else comes close.

Love Child is my favorite album. My love of Ross and her voice peaked during this time, and I played that album nonstop. I still love it.

I’ll always love it. Wooow hoo hoo
    i’ll always love it. Wooow hoo hoo

"Mary, Scherrie & Susaye"

Attachment 17295

I'm going to answer this question as directed. However, I must preface it by stating that there are a few Supremes albums that fall in this category: Meet, Sam Cooke, Symphony, Christmas, Floy Joy, 25th Anniversary, GH 1&2, GH and Rare Classics. What they all have in common is that they were the albums I collected within the first year/year and a half of my bonafide Supremes fandom. I could probably do a write up on each one, but as I said before, I'll answer the question as directed and spotlight only one.

I'm following Thanxal and going with A Go-Go. For years it was also one of my favorite albums period. And then at some point I stopped being as enamored with it as I had once been. I'm not sure why. I didn't start loving the album again until the expanded edition. I finally had a copy of the mono version and there were new mixes that gave me a renewed appreciation for much of it. But the reason why it holds a special place with me, I believe I purchased it at the beginning of the summer of 1993. [[It may have been late spring.) I know for a fact it was one of the albums I played like crazy that summer. Of course, music wise, I was always the oddball, so in addition to bumping stuff like Cube's The Predator, SWV's It's About Time, Silk's Lose Control, Digable Planet's Reachin, among many others, I was also A Go-Go'ing that summer. Folks thought it weird, but I didn't give a shit. I liked what I liked.

I can clearly see myself sitting in front of the stereo playing "This Old Heart", "Shake Me", "Baby I Need", "These Boots" and "Memories" like crazy. I vividly recall listening to "Can't Help Myself" with headphones and discovering that I could hear Flo and Mary alone on one side and Diana on the other. I wore that album out. Factor in the summer of '93 being one of my most memorable summers and it just makes sense that this album conjures up many of those memories.

When the expanded edition was released I found myself having a dejavu moment. I was listening to it like crazy as if it was the summer of 1993 all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I vividly recall listening to "Can't Help Myself" with headphones and discovering that I could hear Flo and Mary alone on one side and Diana on the other.
    ME TOO!!!!

When the expanded edition was released I found myself having a dejavu moment. I was listening to it like crazy as if it was the summer of 1993 all over again.
    ME THREE!!!

The biggest allure for A Go Go for me is Itching. But the whole album just works from start to finish for me, like no other. WDOLG comes close, as does the self titled 70s album, but A Go Go is the one I take to a desert island.

I also purchased it in 1993 on the old original CD release.

The HDH album was played at a new friend's apt downtown and the entire sound of all these songs in their totality sent my mind to an altered euphoric state [[combined with my feelings of attraction I was experiencing)- truly memorable. Not a sound engineer or expert here, but I do think there's something unique in this album regarding sound production values.
    And also sentimental to Surrender because I was listening to that album during a period of tremendous change and adjustment. Of course there are others that remind me of different memories but these two stand out most. It's about the music and the memories, isn't it?

Diana Ross & The Supremes Greatest Hits [[Blue cover)

This was bought for me by my parents Christmas 75 when I was 12. I was so excited that i couldn’t wait to get it on the mini record played in my bedroom. Other then to eat, no one saw me for the rest of the Christmas duration lol.

There are too many albums that hold a special place for me. But for now, I will join in with the SUPREMES A' GO GO contingent because the album does hold some great memories for me.

My kindergarten teacher played it at our Halloween party and even as a little kid, I was fascinated by LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART. A year or two later, in the same school, I was snooping around the cloakroom of that classroom and found that my teacher had left the album cover behind, albeit no record inside. But I swiped it nonetheless.

Over the years, my fascination with the album grew. Every time I would buy an old Motown album, I would look at the inner sleeves, see A GO GO, and wish I had the album. But I never could find it in the stores.

A couple of years later, during a summer visit with my grandparents, I found out that some cousins had opened a record store. I immediately made a drawing of the album and asked my cousin did they have it. She responded that they did. I was beyond excited. It took a few weeks but I finally made it to the store and they did have it. But wouldn't you know it? I reached in my pockets and couldn't find my money. My parents told me to never beg and I was too shy to ask my cousins to buy it for me so I didn't get it. When I got back home, I found out that I actually did have the $. I had forgotten and placed it in a different pocket. Yikes!

Of course, I never made it back to the store. Every weekend, my cousins would promise to come get me and I could spend the day with them at the store. But they never came. And you can probably guess what happened. The very week that I returned home, my cousins came to get me. And my grandmother said they actually brought A GO GO with them! To say that I was greatly disappointed would be a severe understatement.

It wasn't until Motown did their big re-release campaign in 1981 that I finally was able to buy a copy of the album. I bought it on the same day as I HEAR A SYMPHONY and prolonged my suffering by playing SYMPHONY first. When I finally played A GO GO, it was everything I thought it would be and more.

Forgive my ramblings.
    Last edited by reese; 04-18-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Love your story. Sorry for your disappointment but happy the album was even more than you expected!

[QUOTE=daviddh;572309]I got the Supremes Anthology for Christmas in 1975.
    Loved it.
    Than the Diana Ross.album..... love hangover won me over. Been an addict ever since/QUOTE]

a GoGo has always puzzled me.although the expanded edition helped me to like it more...
    But for me.....Sing HDH album.

[QUOTE=daviddh;572400]
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I got the Supremes Anthology for Christmas in 1975
    Lucky you david, I don’t think I could have coped with a double album at that stage in my development.

Above all, Aretha's Spirit in the Dark, but if we are limited to Diana Ross et al, it would be the solo debut lp.

Baby It’s Me is my sentimental favorite. Why?

I became a fan with the release of Mahogany at nine years old. During the next year and a half, I used my weekly allowance to build my DR collection. I had purchased her entire solo album output and 11 LP’s with the Supremes by the time Baby It’s Me was released. BIM was my first time going to a record shop to buy “the new DR album.”

[[Yes, the black album was the first new LP released after I became a fan, but I didn’t buy it until several months later. Each time I’d planned to purchase it I’d find another gem from her back catalogue.)

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    ME TOO!!!!

ME THREE!!!

The biggest allure for A Go Go for me is Itching. But the whole album just works from start to finish for me, like no other. WDOLG comes close, as does the self titled 70s album, but A Go Go is the one I take to a desert island.

So many of the cuts just work. Although covers [[aside from the singles), I feel like most of them would've been hits for the group had they been original Supremes numbers. My biggest criticism is that on some of the cuts Flo and Mary sound bored. They lack the gusto they were capable of and it does cheapen the sound a bit for me. But other than that, I think it's a perfect example of an album during that period.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Mine was a cassette which I still own. I should dig it out. If I remember correctly, I used to label the inside of the cassette cover with the date and place of purchase. I'm going to have to add this to my quarantine to do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Diana Ross & The Supremes Greatest Hits [[Blue cover)

This was bought for me by my parents Christmas 75 when I was 12. I was so excited that i couldn’t wait to get it on the mini record played in my bedroom. Other then to eat, no one saw me for the rest of the Christmas duration lol.
    Ollie, for some reason I always forget that the actual very first Supremes album I had wasn't Meet the Supremes, it was the blue GH set. Someone heard that I was becoming a Supremes fan and gifted me the GH on vinyl. I remember we pulled out the Fisher Price record player and listened to those cuts that Thanksgiving. I think a month or so later the records were broken, but I kept the cover. I think I still have it. But Meet the Supremes was the first Supremes album I actually purchased around that same Thanksgiving [[before or the day after), and IMO it was the best non greatest hits album to start my Supremes love affair with.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There are too many albums that hold a special place for me. But for now, I will join in with the SUPREMES A' GO GO contingent because the album does hold some great memories for me.

My kindergarten teacher played it at our Halloween party and even as a little kid, I was fascinated by LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART. A year or two later, in the same school, I was snooping around the cloakroom of that classroom and found that my teacher had left the album cover behind, albeit no record inside. But I swiped it nonetheless.

Over the years, my fascination with the album grew. Every time I would buy an old Motown album, I would look at the inner sleeves, see A GO GO, and wish I had the album. But I never could find it in the stores.

A couple of years later, during a summer visit with my grandparents, I found out that some cousins had opened a record store. I immediately made a drawing of the album and asked my cousin did they have it. She responded that they did. I was beyond excited. It took a few weeks but I finally made it to the store and they did have it. But wouldn't you know it? I reached in my pockets and couldn't find my money. My parents told me to never beg and I was too shy to ask my cousins to buy it for me so I didn't get it. When I got back home, I found out that I actually did have the $. I had forgotten and placed it in a different pocket. Yikes!

Of course, I never made it back to the store. Every weekend, my cousins would promise to come get me and I could spend the day with them at the store. But they never came. And you can probably guess what happened. The very week that I returned home, my cousins came to get me. And my grandmother said they actually brought A GO GO with them! To say that I was greatly disappointed would be a severe understatement.

It wasn't until Motown did their big re-release campaign in 1981 that I finally was able to buy a copy of the album. I bought it on the same day as I HEAR A SYMPHONY and prolonged my suffering by playing SYMPHONY first. When I finally played A GO GO, it was everything I thought it would be and more.

Forgive my ramblings.
    Reese, your luck sounds like mine. I swear your story reads like something that would've probably happened to me. Glad you finally got your copy!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Love your story. Sorry for your disappointment but happy the album was even more than you expected!
    Thanks, Lucky. A happy ending never hurts.

Reese, your luck sounds like mine. I swear your story reads like something that would've probably happened to me. Glad you finally got your copy!
    I haven't thought about some of those things in years. But the pre-1968 albums were always so elusive to me. I did most of my buying out of the cut-out bins at Bradlee's or Woolworth's and they usually only had the albums that hadn't done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I haven't thought about some of those things in years. But the pre-1968 albums were always so elusive to me. I did most of my buying out of the cut-out bins at Bradlee's or Woolworth's and they usually only had the albums that hadn't done as well.
    I used to buy many 45’s from the cut out bin at Woolworth’s. Then we would go to Woolworth’s lunch counter for a tulip sundae.

Smile

Ollie, for some reason I always forget that the actual very first Supremes album I had wasn't Meet the Supremes, it was the blue GH set. Someone heard that I was becoming a Supremes fan and gifted me the GH on vinyl. I remember we pulled out the Fisher Price record player and listened to those cuts that Thanksgiving. I think a month or so later the records were broken, but I kept the cover. I think I still have it. But Meet the Supremes was the first Supremes album I actually purchased around that same Thanksgiving [[before or the day after), and IMO it was the best non greatest hits album to start my Supremes love affair with.
    The only downside being that my much prized christmas gift was so badly warped i started to feel motion sickness if i stared at it for to long lol. One of the perils of the much loved vinyl.