[REMOVE ADS]

Motown From The Inside - Part 3

Tommy also spoke of his failed attempt at trying to get up his management company, and not being able to get Flo's solo career off the ground. He also held a grudge against A.B.C. Records for not properly promoting Flo's career as he thought they should have. Many of our talks centered around the personal lives that Tommy had concerning some of the artists [[especially female) on the label, but those talks and comments are of course hearsay on my part and cannot be repeated!! Especially since I gave my word to secrecy.

The last time I spoke with Tommy he said "the man: [[IRS) was about to take from him the last item of value that had been owned by Flo, that Cadillac for back taxes. He spoke of the "rip off" that the attorney pulled on Flo, and finally, the story of their separation and how he was trying to maintain himself and their two daughters with such meager pay he was receiving from Motown. He said that he was trying to obtain a loan in order to open a gas station and go into business for himself. I wonder now if that had ever gone through?

He had felt belittled with that warehouse job, and believe that it was acquired because the company felt pity for him, and only did it as a favor because he was down on his luck, was unemployed, and needed the work. Talk about feeling sorry for yourself!! I had never seen a man so resentful and full of pain, hurt, and confusion. Well, at least I was one of the very few people that would take time and listen to him and give him advice and support, which I believe he was starved for. This was a prime example where the old saying applies: "Nobody Wants You When You're Down And Out." I heard that Tommy passed away a few years ago. Sad, really sad.

When some of Motown's artists would be on tour and in the Detroit area, they would visit periodically and see their old stomping ground [[Motown centre)....people such as David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, and ex-members like the Originals, Monitors, Elgins, Vandellas, and a few others. Many of them still made their home in Detroit and would often drop by. On one occasion, even "Miss Ross" dropped in to say hello. Most would go to the back warehouse and talk with Tommy for a short while, sit with some of us, then leave. Ha, I remember on one occasion when Rick James paid us a visit. He was so stoned and was running off at the mouth so much. I had to make a quick exit before I said something I might regret. James drove every one crazy with his arrogant self.

I lasted about two years at Hitsville, and finally resigned my position because of constant conflict with the branch Manager Larry Rochon. As I stated earlier in this letter, he had never been in the record business before, and everyone knew that he was not qualified for the job. I won't go into depth on this subject, but my main problem with him was the fact that I left it be known to him of his unqualified status and decision making. You see, this man had no "Soul" and that was really the biggest crime of all!

About six months after I left, Motown moved once again. This time to Sterling Heights [[a suburb of Detroit). The Woodward Avenue building was still up for sale, but I believe the company rented our space in the centre for quite a lot of money, and they found it to be to their benefit that they make the move. I do not know if the Donovan Building [[Motown center) was ever sold or not.

Shortly before I left the company, I decided to take a "tour" through the upper nine floors of the building. No one had been beyond the first floor in several years. From our offices, , one had to into the hallway to get to the elevator. This rickety old elevator never did work very well, even when it was in operation. Of course, there was no electricity switched on beyond the first floor, so I had to use the stairwell which was blocked off by a gate with a lock. I managed to scrounge up a key that fit the lock, and then proceeded upward to the second floor. There was no heat from the second floor and beyond; it was in the dead of winter so it was quite cold to say the least. Weather damage was quite extensive with water leaks, and paint and plaster falling off the ceilings and walls. The warped floors were truly a sad sight.

To be continued .................

Woodward, what was your position at Motown?