[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Supremes Star Walk of Fame March 11th 1994 - Mary Wilson

Ah, thank you Blackguy69! I have this video but have not seen it in many years.

Oh there were so many people there. Let me see if I can list a few off the top of my head:

Berry Gordy Jr.
    The Temptations
    The Four Tops
    Bobby Rogers of the Miracles
    Jheryl Busby
    Sheryl Lee Ralph
    Florence LaRue
    Liz Torres
    Dick Clark
    Cholly Atkins
    Jocko Henderson
    Betty Kelly of the Vandellas
    The Ballard Daughters
    Rita Coolidge
    Brenda Russell

Others in attendance I remember:
    Nancy Wilson
    Eddie Holland
    Jack "The Rapper"
    Harvey Fuqua
    Pete Moore of the Miracles
    Michael Travis
    Anna Marie Horsford
    Mary's brother Roosevelt and her children Turkessa & Pedro Jr.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-17-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Thanks so much for posting. Mary did well considering it was her first public appearance after the accident. I could not believe the amount of press present. Berry succinctly said it all: Mary may have not been the lead singer, but she was the heart and soul of the Supremes. That cannot be disputed! She def has a LARGE number of friends in the industry. So damn proud of her accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks so much for posting. Mary did well considering it was her first public appearance after the accident. I could not believe the amount of press present. Berry succinctly said it all: Mary may have not been the lead singer, but she was the heart and soul of the Supremes. That cannot be disputed! She def has a LARGE number of friends in the industry. So damn proud of her accomplishments.
    I am very proud of her as well!

Mary is a very strong woman. This ceremony took place just over a month after her tragic accident. Some people would be in isolation and being assisted by some type of professional counselor. Powerful and very grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary is a very strong woman. This ceremony took place just over a month after her tragic accident. Some people would be in isolation and being assisted by some type of professional counselor. Powerful and very grounded.
    I suggest that her large network of friends were instrumental in helping her cope with that tragedy.

I suggest that her large network of friends were instrumental in helping her cope with that tragedy.
    I know that to be true. There was almost a plane full of Detroiters that flew out there after the news broke. Many people from Martha Reeves to Barbara Martin all went out to see about Mary. Martha Harris and Alice Fletcher, both life long friends of Mary were part of the Detroit contingent. Cindy Birdsong stayed at Mary's house for 3 weeks, along with Rita Coolidge and Brenda Russell. Do you remember the "Sally Jesse Raphael Show"? Ben Vereen, Rita and I can't remember who else, but the audience was full of long time fans from across the country that came out to California to support Mary. Jean Terrell, Scherrie Payne, the Gordys, the Jacksons were all in attendance at the funeral. Patti LaBelle sang at the funeral. Jet carried pictures of Nancy Wilson and Freda Payne with their children outside of the church.

I didn’t know Patti sang at the funeral. I will search the net to see if Sally’s show is available.

I know that to be true. There was almost a plane full of Detroiters that flew out there after the news broke. Many people from Martha Reeves to Barbara Martin all went out to see about Mary. Martha Harris and Alice Fletcher, both life long friends of Mary were part of the Detroit contingent. Cindy Birdsong stayed at Mary's house for 3 weeks, along with Rita Coolidge and Brenda Russell.
    You left out Diana Ross marv. She also rushed to be with Mary when the terrible news broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    You left out Diana Ross marv. She also rushed to be with Mary when the terrible news broke.
    He will not share any information that puts Diana in a positive light Ollie. You should know that by now.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 04-18-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    He will not share any information that puts Diana in a positive light Ollie. You should know that by now.
    Sadly, what was a thread about a special day in Supremes history turned into yet another puff piece about Mary by promoting a terribly sad, albeit hardly remembered incident as as if it were Nelson Mandela’s funeral. I’m surprised every luminary from San Francisco to Sydney didn’t rush to be by Mary’s side.

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    Sadly, what was a thread about a special day in Supremes history turned into yet another puff piece about Mary by promoting a terribly sad, albeit hardly remembered incident as as if it were Nelson Mandela’s funeral. I’m surprised every luminary from San Francisco to Sydney didn’t rush to be by Mary’s side.
    Nice........Real nice.

Nice........Real nice.
    Didn’t mean to belittle Mary or the accident - did we really need a list of everyone who sent her a sympathy card? The obsession with funerals and deaths around here is bizarre and morbid.

No, but Diana did call her on the phone though.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-18-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Didn’t mean to belittle Mary or the accident - did we really need a list of everyone who sent her a sympathy card? The obsession with funerals and deaths around here is bizarre and morbid.
    I agree it is a very mordid subject. I lost my son not long after Mary lost hers so i am only too aware of the heartache and sorrow that comes with such a terrible loss. No one can possibly know how devastating losing a child is until they experience it.
    In these very troubled times it is perhaps best to try to focus on more positive and happier topics. This thread has hardly helped my state of mind today.

DET, here are few pictures from the funeral for Rafael Ferrer:
    Attachment 17298

Attachment 17299

First of all Ive been real reluctant to step into this thread but YOU Monica are out of line. There is NOTHING worse than losing a child. Its just not supposed to happen that way and a parent NEVER gets over it. In this case your silence would have been golden.

I agree it is a very mordid subject. I lost my son not long after Mary lost hers so i am only too aware of the heartache and sorrow that comes with such a terrible loss. No one can possibly know how devastating losing a child is until they experience it.
    In these very troubled times it is perhaps best to try to focus on more positive and happier topics. This thread has hardly helped my state of mind today.
    May God continue to watch over you my dear friend. My sister lost her daughter 15 years ago and shes never been the same since. A parent isnt supposed to bury a child. Its the other way around. My sincerest condolonces to you Alan and much love. xxxx

I dont think Miss Wilson would appreciate him turning her loss into a popularitty contest of all the "celebritry friends" that appeared on the saddest day of her life. Hes turned this thread into something tasteless and so tacky in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    May God continue to watch over you my dear friend. My sister lost her daughter 15 years ago and shes never been the same since. A parent isnt supposed to bury a child. Its the other way around. My sincerest condolonces to you Alan and much love. xxxx
    Thank you so much Roberta. I am having a bad day today, and your kind words have helped to lift my spirits and helped me to regain focus on a very tough day. Much love crossing the Atlantic to you and your sister xx

I dont think Miss Wilson would appreciate him turning her loss into a popularitty contest of all the "celebritry friends" that appeared on the saddest day of her life. Hes turned this thread into something tasteless and so tacky in so many ways.
    That’s where I was going and I should have chosen better words. That being said, Miss Wilson doesn’t appreciate anything he does - she wants nothing to do with him.

Blue, I am sorry for your loss. Hang in there during these unorthodox times.

Thank you so much Roberta. I am having a bad day today, and your kind words have helped to lift my spirits and helped me to regain focus on a very tough day. Much love crossing the Atlantic to you and your sister xx
    And our love and blessings to you my friend. xxxx

I didn’t know Patti sang at the funeral. I will search the net to see if Sally’s show is available.
    I have it on videotape and I know someone had uploaded it to Youtube years ago, but I am not sure if it is still on there. Mary sang "You Are So Beautiful" on the program with a little help from Rita Coolidge. I could tell she was still in some physical pain.

From The Hollywood Walk of Fame website:

https://walkoffame.com/the-supremes/

Mary with her family:

Attachment 17300

25 years later, Motown Royalty gathers to honor the great Jackie Wilson. Mary Wilson looking as beautiful as ever:

Name:  MotownRoyaltycourtesyofBrunswickRecordCorporation.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  76.6 KB

25 years later, Motown Royalty gathers to honor the great Jackie Wilson. Mary Wilson looking as beautiful as ever:

Name:  MotownRoyaltycourtesyofBrunswickRecordCorporation.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  76.6 KB
    Great photos, so nice to see Motown royalty sticking together.

Try to imagine positivity as a healing light Bluebrock. Let your mind be drawn to that light and the weight of the anger, hurt, bitterness and confusion that sometimes lingers in our hearts will start to ease.. Stay strong, Ollie x.

This thread has 30 replies; 19 are by people I've blocked. The others are by those I highly esteem. Says it all.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 04-18-2020 at 06:11 PM.

I have not posted on SDF in at least two years. Possibly longer. I even had to look up my password! It's easier to post on Facebook or Instagram, where I know who I'm dealing with. Every time I come to this space, I am happy to read the threads, until they turn sour. This is probably why I haven't posted. This thread feels no different. But I feel compelled to speak about it. Also, I couldn't sleep.

First, I was at the Supremes Star Induction, in the VIP section, next to Margie, above Florence Larue, and a few feet away from Rita on my left, the podium on my right, and the street in front of me, where I looked at the fans looking at Mary Wilson. I was 21 years old, and freaking out I was actually standing there, snapping pictures with my disposable camera! It was an amazing day, and I was so proud of everyone involved. To stand before Berry Gordy, Dick Clark, The Temptations and so many others, I can't tell you the pride I felt for Motown, for the Supremes, for Mary, Diana and Florence. Mary and her team, worked very hard to make this day a reality. Today it paid off.

26 years later, I was very excited to see this video Alice made. I've never seen it before, and it reminded me of so many details I had forgotten. The buttons [[which I still have), Berry Gordy's joke about "walking all over them for years to come," and Mary's mini tribute to the people who helped with the star induction. I caught a few glances of a very young me, plus the late Allen Poe, who was a dear friend and mentor, Alice Manica, Rudy Calvo, Norwin Simmons, the late Kenny, who was Mary's driver and bodyguard, and Gregg Simon. I wished there was even more footage!

The day was beautiful and special, a stark contrast from the darkness that befell six weeks earlier. I was present for that too. I've known Mary Wilson since I was 19, and I can unequivocally say, she's never been the same. How could she? Bluebrock, I am sorry for your loss. That's a story I'd like to hear one day. I've never lost a child, but Rafi was a brother to me, and my loss was probably the hardest I've ever experienced, yet it was unimaginable compared to what Mary went through. Shame on anyone who makes light of that tragedy, or anyone who tries to weaponize it.

And regarding the ladies, there are nine Supremes with nine distinct personalities and stories. Any one story does not belong to the other eight. A story about Mary Wilson does not need to come equipped with a single negative word about Diana Ross. Diana is a remarkable woman without whom there would be no Supremes to discuss. And likewise, a discussion about Diana Ross does not need anything negative about Mary Wilson. The same goes for the other six ladies. Their stories are their stories.

Diana and Mary buried the hatchet, why can't some of you? Because of past behavioral stories? Get over it. And to anyone with claws out, ready to tell me I don't get to tell you what to think, feel or say, you're right, I don't. I just have higher hopes that those guilty parties will learn to take the high road. Hide behind a screen name[[s) and make all the snide comments you want. It just makes you look petty. These are real women, human beings. I doubt either of them would appreciate the negativity.

In different ways, they are family to me. Personally, and professionally. One year and one month after this star induction, Mary moved me to New York City with her, and I began my path to where I am now. Diana has been positive and encouraging of what we do. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for either of them. I'm thankful and lucky for the career I've had because of them. I feel compelled to protect them. [end rant.]

Now that was a truly Supreme response and hopefully something all the fans can take to heart. Bravo Andy & be well.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    I have not posted on SDF in at least two years. Possibly longer. I even had to look up my password! It's easier to post on Facebook or Instagram, where I know who I'm dealing with. Every time I come to this space, I am happy to read the threads, until they turn sour. This is probably why I haven't posted. This thread feels no different. But I feel compelled to speak about it. Also, I couldn't sleep.

First, I was at the Supremes Star Induction, in the VIP section, next to Margie, above Florence Larue, and a few feet away from Rita on my left, the podium on my right, and the street in front of me, where I looked at the fans looking at Mary Wilson. I was 21 years old, and freaking out I was actually standing there, snapping pictures with my disposable camera! It was an amazing day, and I was so proud of everyone involved. To stand before Berry Gordy, Dick Clark, The Temptations and so many others, I can't tell you the pride I felt for Motown, for the Supremes, for Mary, Diana and Florence. Mary and her team, worked very hard to make this day a reality. Today it paid off.

26 years later, I was very excited to see this video Alice made. I've never seen it before, and it reminded me of so many details I had forgotten. The buttons [[which I still have), Berry Gordy's joke about "walking all over them for years to come," and Mary's mini tribute to the people who helped with the star induction. I caught a few glances of a very young me, plus the late Allen Poe, who was a dear friend and mentor, Alice Manica, Rudy Calvo, Norwin Simmons, the late Kenny, who was Mary's driver and bodyguard, and Gregg Simon. I wished there was even more footage!

The day was beautiful and special, a stark contrast from the darkness that befell six weeks earlier. I was present for that too. I've known Mary Wilson since I was 19, and I can unequivocally say, she's never been the same. How could she? Bluebrock, I am sorry for your loss. That's a story I'd like to hear one day. I've never lost a child, but Rafi was a brother to me, and my loss was probably the hardest I've ever experienced, yet it was unimaginable compared to what Mary went through. Shame on anyone who makes light of that tragedy, or anyone who tries to weaponize it.

And regarding the ladies, there are nine Supremes with nine distinct personalities and stories. Any one story does not belong to the other eight. A story about Mary Wilson does not need to come equipped with a single negative word about Diana Ross. Diana is a remarkable woman without whom there would be no Supremes to discuss. And likewise, a discussion about Diana Ross does not need anything negative about Mary Wilson. The same goes for the other six ladies. Their stories are their stories.

Diana and Mary buried the hatchet, why can't some of you? Because of past behavioral stories? Get over it. And to anyone with claws out, ready to tell me I don't get to tell you what to think, feel or say, you're right, I don't. I just have higher hopes that those guilty parties will learn to take the high road. Hide behind a screen name[[s) and make all the snide comments you want. It just makes you look petty. These are real women, human beings. I doubt either of them would appreciate the negativity.

In different ways, they are family to me. Personally, and professionally. One year and one month after this star induction, Mary moved me to New York City with her, and I began my path to where I am now. Diana has been positive and encouraging of what we do. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for either of them. I'm thankful and lucky for the career I've had because of them. I feel compelled to protect them. [end rant.]
    Thank you so much Andy. Love your story and agree with everything you said. I also lost A child. My daughter passed away in 2014. I don’t wish that kind of pain on anyone. My heart feels dearly for Mary and what she had to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Thank you so much Andy. Love your story and agree with everything you said. I also lost A child. My daughter passed away in 2014. I don’t wish that kind of pain on anyone. My heart feels dearly for Mary and what she had to go through.
    And my heart goes out to you for your terrible loss vgalindo. I hope you can find comfort in your beautiful memories. That is what helps me to cope when the dark clouds begin to gather above.

Lovely post Andy. Stay safe and healthy in these deeply worrying times.

Try to imagine positivity as a healing light Bluebrock. Let your mind be drawn to that light and the weight of the anger, hurt, bitterness and confusion that sometimes lingers in our hearts will start to ease.. Stay strong, Ollie x.
    Thank you for your kind words Ollie.

And my heart goes out to you for your terrible loss vgalindo. I hope you can find comfort in your beautiful memories. That is what helps me to cope when the dark clouds begin to gather above.
    Thank you so much Bluebrock. My heart goes out to you too. Yes I keep my beautiful memories close to my heart. You do the same. And take care and be safe. ❤️

A sincere and heartwarming post Andy. I agree that to use the death of a child as a tool for launching yet another attack on Mary is beyond contempt.
    I was recently informed by a regular poster here that the reason they continued with verbal attacks on Mary Wilson was tit for tat. Let’s hope your post goes some way in eliminating the kind of sad and childish mentality that prevents Motown fans wanting to contribute to this forum.
    All the best, Ollie.

Wonderful, Andy, and we are lucky to have you back, even for one post. You be well and visit more frequently.

Thank you for speaking up and sharing this very necessary post. I hope your thoughts and words will cause people to really think about their own posts.

May God always comfort you dear vgalindo and to you and my friend Bluebrock I say what I say to my sister. Always give yourself permission to cry when the sadness becomes unbearable. Youve been through a loss that nobody should ever have to go through. ❤️❤️.

Thank you dear. You are a kind and real decent man. God bless you.

Is Margie the individual mentioned in Mary's book? Also, I am not familiar with Alice, she obviously was an integral player in Mary's career. Can you shed any light on her involvement in Mary's career?
    Thanks!

Is Margie the individual mentioned in Mary's book? Also, I am not familiar with Alice, she obviously was an integral player in Mary's career. Can you shed any light on her involvement in Mary's career?
    Thanks!
    I met Alice in New York. She has been a fan of Mary Wilson's for as long as I can remember, way before the internet etc. Nice lady. Margie Haber? Is that who you are referring to?

Hey Andy, I have a video of you when you were a baby, sitting in the audience, in the front rows while Mary was performing "Walk the Line" on the "Body by Jake Show". You were jammin'! LOL!

Thanks!
    You skipped over the entire point of Andys message and asked for information thats frankly none of your business. You didnt even have to class to add "please" and "thank you"

You are crass and classless Missy.

May God always comfort you dear vgalindo and to you and my friend Bluebrock I say what I say to my sister. Always give yourself permission to cry when the sadness becomes unbearable. Youve been through a loss that nobody should ever have to go through. ❤️❤️.
    Thank you dear Roberta for your kind words.
    I really appreciate it. Take care and please be safe.

Thank you dear Roberta for your kind words.
    I really appreciate it. Take care and please be safe.
    I cant even imagine how you cope but pray that God sends you daily strength.

Only a parent who has lost child truly knows of the hollowness that remains within the soul.

Thank you for your candor and for a brief moment of clarity in this thread. I realize I may have contributed to some of the discord as I could have used better words to express my disgust with what the nefarious one turned this initially positive thread into...

If I may explain:

1. Like many, I came here to see the footage of the Supremes receiving their long overdue star on the Walk. Who better to accept than Mary - the heart and soul of the Supremes.

2. The thread then took a disturbing turn by exploiting the very tragic death of Mary’s son. Posting the list of celebrities who comforted her during this terrible time, the list of those who attended the going home service, and most revoltingly, photos from the service. As with anything Mary-related, I saw this as nothing more than another attempt by the nefarious one to showcase Mary’s notoriety as something way more than actually is the case as yet another “dig” at a certain someone else. Yes, Mary is well loved but let’s not resort to making things like the Coney Island concert or most disgracefully, HER SON’S FUNERAL as on par with appearances by the Pope. I felt similarly last year about the million posts about Diana’s birthday party.

3. Lastly, as we all know, Mary wants nothing to do with the nefarious one. How he ignores this and acts like he is her personal historian seems a bit psychotic. As Andy said, Diana and Mary have buried the hatchet. RTL was TWENTY years ago. To keep acting like he’s Mary’s staunchest supporter because he still hasn’t gotten over that camera incident in Denver is just plain stupid.

If if I offended anyone except the nefarious one, I apologize.