[REMOVE ADS]

LP comparison and discussion - Diana Ross 1970 vs Surrender

and let's dig into Diana's work. there are a lot of stylistic and artistic similarities between these two.

If i had to pick, I think i'd take DR 70. if for no other reason than Mountain. Surrender and REmember though are both wonderful tracks. greatly prefer them to Reach out and touch somebody's hand.

As for filler:

Something on my mind, dark side of the moon, can't it wait - stellar tracks

all the before, and if you see him. also great

1970 DR stunning, surprising, inspiring. Cohesive without being repetitous, her singing is 100 per cent on point. Surrender was spectacular for Reach Out I'll be There alone.

maybe Surrender gets a nod for being 100% by A&S. while i do like These Things on DR70, it is a bit out of place on the album

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    maybe Surrender gets a nod for being 100% by A&S. while i do like These Things on DR70, it is a bit out of place on the album
    “Surrender” takes the cake for me. Adding “I’m Still Waiting” to subsequent releases was kind of a waste - no cohesion.

Should come as no surprise, but I prefer Surrender over the debut. I find the debut to be very nice. Both singles are among my favorite Diana songs of all time. I also rate highly "Now That There's You", "I Wouldn't Change the Man" and "Where There Was Darkness". I can listen to "These Things" and "Something On My Mind", but I really don't care for "You're All I Need", "Can't It Wait", "Keep An Eye" and "Darkside". So basically I only really dig half the album, yet still believe it to be a great debut effort. If you notice, on most of the songs I really love, Diana goes a bit more full throttle vocally than she does on the cuts that don't do a lot for me.

On the other hand I dig pretty much every song on Surrender. Until the thread where we discussed Surrender a few weeks back and I attempted to weave the tracks together in a story concept [[did you see that Sup?), it had never occurred to me just how dark and sad that album is. I chalk it up to me being mesmerized by Diana's vocals on just about each track. She sings with a level of emotion that I think she rarely displayed as a Supreme and that's attractive to me. Yet she also reels me in with her sweet vocal approach to "I'll Settle For You" and her emotionally subtle approach to "All the Befores". For me there isn't a skippable song on Surrender. I could play that album all day long. In fact, I have.

I really enjoyed your assessment Ranran, and while i concur with most of what you said, I differ in opinion with listening all the way through many times to Surrender - for me I did that with the debut album, [[maybe the excitement and anticipation of it plays a small part), but with Surrender I usually went to that last dramatic and haunting track, her stellar rendition of "Reach Out I'll be There", [[when she finally added it to her set MSG 2000 I was so stunned and happy and pleased to hear it!

I loved both but the first just sparkles.
    I would take off you're all I need to get by but overall great album

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    I really enjoyed your assessment Ranran, and while i concur with most of what you said, I differ in opinion with listening all the way through many times to Surrender - for me I did that with the debut album, [[maybe the excitement and anticipation of it plays a small part), but with Surrender I usually went to that last dramatic and haunting track, her stellar rendition of "Reach Out I'll be There", [[when she finally added it to her set MSG 2000 I was so stunned and happy and pleased to hear it!
    Yeah, I finally got to see a video of the ROIBT RTL performance. Great move adding it.