[REMOVE ADS]

lp comparison and discussion - WDOLF vs More Hits

since we've talked about pretty much all of the albums individually, figured it might be fun to compare albums that are either similar in approach or close in time frame.

this isn't meant to be a slamfest on one vs the other. but rather an open dialog about the two, what you like about one vs the other, fav tracks. or if we've received an EE of it, maybe some of the extra tracks you preferred or had hoped might have appeared on the next lp

so let's start with Where Did Our Love Go vs More Hits

while both are great, i have to vote for WDOLG. this was my first album so therefore i'm partial to it. of the hits, Come See is my fav of the 3 hits from Where, while Back is my fav of the released from More Hits. and i'm probably tied between Back and Come.

as for filler/other tracks, i think i prefer WDOLF - Long Gone Lover is a fav, Breathtaking, Lovelight, I'm giving you freedom.

the tracks on MH are good but just a shade behind WDOLG

More Hits was my first Supremes album and it remains my favorite. I fell in love with Diana's voice from first listen. More Hits is really the first Supremes sing HDH album. Cohesive and consistent.
    Nothing But Heartaches is my favorite single from More Hits, even more so with the extended version on the EE. I love all the MH tracks. My favorites interchange often.

WDOLG was my third album purchase, after IHAS. I appreciate it much more now [[more than fifty years later!), mainly because of the EE [[thank you, George & Co). I love the EE mainly because of the previously unreleased tracks on disc two. I had no idea how great the early pre-WDOLG Supremes were!

Come See About Me is my favorite single from WDOLG. It holds up so well! Favorite album tracks are I'm Giving You Your Freedom and Long Gone Lover. I don't care much for Run, Run, Run or Standing at the Crossroads.

From disc two of the WDOLG EE I love Let Me Hear You Say [[I Love You), I Idolize You, Bye Baby, This Is It, Every Day I'll Love You More Than Yesterday.

i don't know if i'm just overly partial to the original WDOLG album or what. to my ears, the canned tracks on EE vs the filler album tracks are startling in comparison. None of the tracks on disc 2 jump out to me as overly interesting. Penny Pincher and Don't take it away are ok. but the rest really do nothing for me. of course i'm thrilled to have them lolol but i don't feel that they should have been included vs a track that was released

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i don't know if i'm just overly partial to the original WDOLG album or what. to my ears, the canned tracks on EE vs the filler album tracks are startling in comparison. None of the tracks on disc 2 jump out to me as overly interesting. Penny Pincher and Don't take it away are ok. but the rest really do nothing for me. of course i'm thrilled to have them lolol but i don't feel that they should have been included vs a track that was released
    No, I don't think the disc 2 tracks should have replaced the released WDOLG tracks. [[Except maybe Run and/or Standing. Lol) They seem to be of another time or phase.
    I know the group didn't have a "hit" until Lovelight but I think at least 10-12 tracks from disc 2 would/could have made an interesting album between Meet and WDOLG. I suppose the planned Supremes sing Ballads & Blues might have included some of the tracks. I would begin and maybe even title the album This Is It.

Of these two, MORE HITS is my favorite. It is one of those albums that I can play without skipping a track. Besides the hits, very strong album tracks like WHO COULD EVER DOUBT MY LOVE and HEARTACHES DON'T LOST ALWAYS are amongst my favorites.

WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO is a very strong album as well but it doesn't give off the same sense of unity as MORE HITS, even though both albums were built around singles. But when I play this one, there are a couple of tracks that I will skip, i.e. RUN, RUN, RUN, and STANDING AT THE CROSSROADS OF LOVE.

I'm going with WDOLG over More Hits. In More Hits' favor, it does sound like a more cohesive album, where WDOLG sort of has a disjointed sound. As Lucky says, the songs are from different "phases", and I agree. WDOLG is comprised of songs recorded from 1962-1964 and it sounds like it. MH on the other hand is basically from seven or so months of sessions from late 1964 thru the middle of 1965, a much more even sound.

On More Hits, I love "Back" and "Nothing". I also love "He Holds His Own", "Whisper", "Doubt" and "I'm In Love Again". I can tolerate "Stop", but I don't care much for "Honey Boy" and "Mother Dear", and I hate "Only Time" and "I'm So Glad". I love "Ask Any Girl" but think it a lazy decision to add it to the album when it was already on WDOLG and the flip to "Baby Love".

I would've definitely replaced "Only Time", "I'm So Glad" and "Ask Any Girl" with "Take Me Where You Go", "Too Hurt To Cry", and the English version of "Thank You Darling" [[which I'm always hoping with crossed fingers will someday surface, along with the English version of "Moonlight and Kisses").

Now when it comes to WDOLG, the only song I'm not too fond of is "Crossroads". Everything else is right up my alley. I love many of the outtakes also. If I were going to replace anything, it would probably be the songs with an almost outdated sound and replace them with outtakes that have more of the evolving Motown Sound. But the outtakes that I really like the most include "Send Me No Flowers", "Don't Take It Away", "Just Call Me", "My Imagination", "This Is It", "Mr Blues", "I Idolize You", "Come On Boy". Honestly there's very few of the outtakes that I don't care for.

Anyway, WDOLG is an almost top to bottom showcase of the Supremes as a vocal group. Everyone is contributing and putting their own special touch to nearly each cut. There's a warmth that is present that I don't feel when I listen to some of More Hits. So WDOLG is the album of the two that I prefer.

It's WDOLG for me, always has been, it was my first Supremes and Motown album. I love all the songs except - Ask Any Girl! [[I know, go figure.) It has taken me decades to appreciate this song but at least I don't skip it anymore. It's the slow intro I don't like. I wonder what it would be like without the slow intro. My favorite songs are WDOLG and CSAM, which are also my top two favorite Supremes songs [[or maybe I would sandwich Hangin' On in between those two - not sure). I like a lot of the songs from the EE but I don't think any of the songs [[except maybe Come On Boy) would have added anything to the WDOLG album. The songs on WDOLG have more substance and feel more solid, to me, than those of More Hits. The album cover is also my favorite of their albums. I have quite a sentimental attachment to this album..

More Hits didn't gain favor with me right from the outset. Oh no - Ask Any Girl - again - and the first song - ugh! Aside from this song, I also disliked He Hold His Own [[although I like the alternate on the EE). This album seems more like a 1960s "Girl-Group Genre" album than a Pop/Soul album by a female singer/group. It has a lighter sound [[Honey Boy, Only Time I'm Happy, Heartaches Don't Last Always) and feel than WDOLG. It also only features Diana Ross on all the songs unlike WDOLG which gives us snippets of Mary's and Florence's voices - which gives that album more substance, imo. I do put MH as my second favorite Supremes album on the basis of the strong singles, other great HDH songs and the feel of the early Motown Sound. [[The Love Child album is tied or a close third because it has more substance.) The cover, front and back, add to the light Girl-Group feel of the album. It was a perfect release to introduce us to the individual Supremes and to the appreciation we had of them [["American No. 1 Sweethearts of Song" - per Scott St. James) in 1965.

WDOLG is the album, of their 10 studio albums containing hits, that I would highly recommend to anyone. This album should be available on vinyl and CD.

i thought there was a bit of scuffle over the B side to Come see About Me. I think it was originally released as Always In My Heart but there were some snorting about copywriting. So maybe out of nervousness, they pulled Always from MH and just grabbed Ask Any Girl

just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Of these two, MORE HITS is my favorite. It is one of those albums that I can play without skipping a track. Besides the hits, very strong album tracks like WHO COULD EVER DOUBT MY LOVE and HEARTACHES DON'T LOST ALWAYS are amongst my favorites.

WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO is a very strong album as well but it doesn't give off the same sense of unity as MORE HITS, even though both albums were built around singles. But when I play this one, there are a couple of tracks that I will skip, i.e. RUN, RUN, RUN, and STANDING AT THE CROSSROADS OF LOVE.
    completely agree about the unity of MH but i actually find that a little of it's Achilles heel. it gets a little monotonous to me. the variety on WDOLG makes it more interesting. plus M and F have more featured roles with their shared chorus leads on Breathtaking and Flo's sassy lean at end of Long Gone Lover.

i thought there was a bit of scuffle over the B side to Come see About Me. I think it was originally released as Always In My Heart but there were some snorting about copywriting. So maybe out of nervousness, they pulled Always from MH and just grabbed Ask Any Girl

just a thought
    I'm not aware of issues with the Always In My Heart copyright. In any case not sure it would have been a good fit for either the WDOLG or MH albums.

A while ago there was a discussion about the Touch album's songs telling a narrative of love. Each song progressed along this narrative. I wondered if other Supremes, or Motown, albums ever attempted to do this. I didn't give it too much thought until recently when I attempted to compile some personal Playlists. I think I noticed the MH and HDH albums might have done this. As a teenager I only cared about the individual songs and didn't notice any particular theme or narrative.

On MH Ask Any Girl might have been [[re)used to start the narrative:
    Ask Any Girl who receives no loving affection,
    He brings me Nothing But Heartaches,
    Help me Mother Dear he makes your daughter sad,
    Stop! In The Name Of Love before you break my heart
    Whisper You Love Me Boy tell me your love is true
    I've got him Back In My Arms Again
    etc for Side 2, possibly.

What made me take notice was when I got the HDH EE I wanted to make a Playlist that had the uptempo songs together. I could never figure out why they put Always In My Heart after You Keep Me Hangin' On. Why go from such a driving uptempo song to a depressing dirge-like effort [[although I do like the song). Again I think Always was used, and retitled, to employ a narrative.
    You Keep Me Hangin' On, set me free
    [[Your'e Gone But) Always In My Heart,
    Love Is Here And Now You're Gone,
    etc
    Last edited by johnjeb; 04-17-2020 at 01:37 PM.

completely agree about the unity of MH but i actually find that a little of it's Achilles heel. it gets a little monotonous to me. the variety on WDOLG makes it more interesting. plus M and F have more featured roles with their shared chorus leads on Breathtaking and Flo's sassy lean at end of Long Gone Lover.
    I actually think Mary and Flo are heard quite well on MORE HITS, particularly on Side 2. Those beautiful harmonies on WHO COULD EVER DOUBT MY LOVE and I'M IN LOVE AGAIN. Mary almost dominates the chorus of THE ONLY TIME I'M HAPPY.

just a thought
    There was some issue with ASK ANY GIRL. Motown thought Len Barry's 1-2-3 copied it, sued, and eventually received credit. That might be why it was added to MORE HITS. Also, I think the discography in J. Randy's last book mentioned that it was a popular b-side and that there was some thought to issuing it as a single, even though it had already been the flip to BABY LOVE.

There was some issue with ASK ANY GIRL. Motown thought Len Barry's 1-2-3 copied it, sued, and eventually received credit. That might be why it was added to MORE HITS. Also, I think the discography in J. Randy's last book mentioned that it was a popular b-side and that there was some thought to issuing it as a single, even though it had already been the flip to BABY LOVE.
    I thought the same thing about 1-2-3 as influencing AAG's inclusion on MH. However, I checked my Billboard books and noticed MH first charted at the end of August and 1-2-3 didn't hit the Hot 100 until late September. I think it being a popular flip is more likely the reason. Unless 1-2-3 was originally a regional hit or was known to Motown prior to its' national release and subsequent copyright discussions. From what I've read on SD the version on MH is a bit different than on WDOLG.

I also think More Hits gets a tad monotonous....it's a lot of the same sound vs. WDOLG?'s mixed bag of big beat, early Motown cha cha's, and bluesy ballards..I enjoy More Hits...I just have to be up to listening to a lot of the same style/pace. I can skip on Honey Boy & He Holds His Own....my 2 faves are Who Could Ever Doubt My Love and I'm In Love Again...

WDOLG? and CWP are the only 2 Supremes 60's LP's in my Top 5 group LPS. [[in order:Touch, High Energy, WDOLG?, CW&P, Floy Joy)

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I thought the same thing about 1-2-3 as influencing AAG's inclusion on MH. However, I checked my Billboard books and noticed MH first charted at the end of August and 1-2-3 didn't hit the Hot 100 until late September. I think it being a popular flip is more likely the reason. Unless 1-2-3 was originally a regional hit or was known to Motown prior to its' national release and subsequent copyright discussions. From what I've read on SD the version on MH is a bit different than on WDOLG.
    yeah i've read about the 123 scuffle too. There's a song from the 40s called Always In My Heart so when Come See was released, perhaps there was a little bit of snorting from that publisher. Doesn't the original label on CSAM say Always In My Heart but then for Sing HDH it was altered to read [[you're gone) but always in my heart?

frankly it's a horrid song. the closest thing the Supremes recorded to a funeral dirge lolol

I actually think Mary and Flo are heard quite well on MORE HITS, particularly on Side 2. Those beautiful harmonies on WHO COULD EVER DOUBT MY LOVE and I'M IN LOVE AGAIN. Mary almost dominates the chorus of THE ONLY TIME I'M HAPPY.
    oh i agree that their vocals parts are mixed high so you can hear them. unlike other later songs and albums. and they do have a lot of background singing. but no leads or spotlights at all. the parts on WDOLG weren't much but at least something. I get some fans even give a little nod to Baby Love as during the bridge, each girl sings a different part. but that's stretching it a little in my book lolol

I believe I read somewhere the problem with "Always In My Heart" was the royalties were somewhat tied up with the standard of the same title...hence, adding You're Gone...and since publishing royalties from singles were shared between A&B copyrights, when you have a huge seller like Come See About Me it is a significant amount. That's probably why performers in the days of 45's often used self composed or songs that were written and published under music companies they formed and owned for B sides.
    I love Always In My Heart...we got some deep blues from Diana.

Trivia regarding "Always In My Heart":

From wiki:
    Always in My Heart is a 1942 American drama film directed by Jo Graham and starring Kay Francis and Walter Huston. The song "Siempre en Mi Corazón" [["Always in My Heart"), by Ernesto Lecuona [[music and Spanish lyrics) and Kim Gannon [[English lyrics) was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Song.

In 1942 the song/record peaked at #10 for Glenn Miller and #14 for Kenny Baker and #16 for Jimmy Dorsey and in 1964 #82 for Los Indios Tabajaras. The only other record with that title that charted from 1890 up through 1999 [[as far as my Billboard chart books go) was a different song by Tevin Campbell, #20 in 1994.

In checking youtube I saw that there were versions of the 1942 song by Dean Martin and Jerry Vale. Martin's version was on an album from 1963 and Vale's version was on an album from 1965. And of course The Supremes different song with the same title was from 1964, the flip of CSAM.

I like both really....gems on both albums so for me .....close call......come see about me is a fav. From WDOLG.....
    While Heartaches .....is a fav from MORE...
    Two for one deal

Folks, let's not forget that in the UK [[at least) we had an amalgam of the USA's Meet The Supremes and Where Did Our Love Go released as Meet The Supremes.

Therefore, for me, in the context of this, More Hits is the better of the albums available in the UK.

This is what we had as Meet The Supremes:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Supremes...elease/2417532

On reflection, I think the UK should have used the USA's Where Did Our Love Go album renamed to Meet The Supremes. The tracks are much more relevant.
    Last edited by rovereab; 04-19-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Folks, let's not forget that in the UK [[at least) we had an amalgam of the USA's Meet The Supremes and Where Did Our Love Go released as Meet The Supremes.

Therefore, for me, in the context of this, More Hits is the better of the albums available in the UK.

This is what we had as Meet The Supremes:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Supremes...elease/2417532

On reflection, I think the UK should have used the USA's Where Did Our Love Go album renamed to Meet The Supremes. The tracks are much more relevant.
    good point - the international WDOLG/Meet was a very different set. kinda surprised they bothered with that. given the worldwide success of Where and Baby Love, i sort of would have thought they'd just skip the stuff prior and start off with an international release of the WDOLG set

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    The songs on WDOLG have more substance and feel more solid, to me, than those of More Hits.

More Hits...This album seems more like a 1960s "Girl-Group Genre" album than a Pop/Soul album by a female singer/group. It has a lighter sound [[Honey Boy, Only Time I'm Happy, Heartaches Don't Last Always) and feel than WDOLG.
    Both of these points are spot on IMO. WDOLG showcases the essence of the Supremes, that they were three gifted vocalists. I don't think any of these songs would really work with an inferior singing group. On the other hand, More Hits seems typical girl group stuff [[maybe aside from the singles) and think most of those songs could be handled well by, say, a group like the Marvelettes, whose harmonies [[without the Andantes) weren't necessarily very harmonious.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post

WDOLG? and CWP are the only 2 Supremes 60's LP's in my Top 5 group LPS. [[in order:Touch, High Energy, WDOLG?, CW&P, Floy Joy)
    Yay! Another fan of CWP. I think that makes two of us.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I love Always In My Heart...we got some deep blues from Diana.
    Agree 100 percent. It really should've been on either WDOLG or More Hits. I always thought it sounded out of place on a 1967 album. But it's a great vocal from Diana. Very serious. One of my favs.