[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: "I was there"

thatanyway Guest

"I was there"

This is a thread for shows that you attended and can find clips of on Youtube. Just exemplify with something good

Right now I'm recalling one of the biggest sing-alongs I've ever been to.
    It was the Temps and the Tops at the O2.

It doesn't seem so long ago...but it's still a universe away right now...

Something I recall about this one is the people around us [[all of them) knew every word to every song, and sang along at the top of their lungs throughout.

thatanyway Guest
    Here's another example. It's even a DVD [[...not supposed to be on YT...ohoh...). That was a fabulous set, and that place was huge. Even so Solomon Burke "had" them all, all to the very back [[and outside even! lol). Even if this is fabulous I had seen this lot in a small venue in Stockholm before this, and that small venue brought something truly extra to the show... Like seeing Solomon Burke in your livingroom almost. Still this is so great.

Sidenote: I love seeing Rudy Copeland on those keys

This was the second night of Aretha's 2012 Radio City Music Hall engagement. It was the first NYC engagement after her illness and also the evening of Whitney Houston's funeral. I had a front row seat and as always, loved being so close to the Queen. This clip isn't the best quality but it captures my favorite moment of the night: Aretha and Bishop Paul Morton singing PRECIOUS MEMORIES. Note at the top of clip: Aretha's companion Willie Wilkerson whispering to Morton that Aretha wasn't ready to come out yet.

Let's see , a concert that there will be video of ....

Here's a good one ....in 1978 I attended the final show of The Sex Pistols at Bill Graham's Winterland Theatre in San Francisco.

It's kind of odd that I went , since I was heavily immersed in disco at the time . The two hardly go hand in hand. Having said that , I've always loved music of most kinds . This new sound , punk , was not especially appealing to me , but I was well versed in it because I was working in a record store and we rotated what music we played there, dictated by our diverse tastes. And its 1978. It's a hip music store, of course there's going to be some of us into this scene. So I knew well of The Ramones , Patti Smith , The Plasmatics !!, early Blondie, and of course the infamous NEVER MIND THE BULLOCKS lp... almost word for word , since it got played several times a day.
    So go see The Sex Pistols from England? Sure! and I'm sure I went to the concert for free , can't imagine paying, by working at a major record store in the heart of downtown SF , we got comps commonly. [[sometimes begging us at the last minute to go to certain shows , these labels dreaded their artists having a sparse house... that's never a good thing to have mentioned in a critic's review!)

This was not the case this time , the place was packed and [[luckily) we were seated pretty far back from the stage and the rowdy hard core attendees gathered there. Having heard you were 'supposed' to throw things at the stage, I remember, at the last minute before leaving the flat, stuffing a juicy apple in my pocket. Once there, I decided I was too far back to reach the stage and would likely hit someone in the back of the head , and not really wanting to anyway, I thankfully never threw it.

I recall the show as fascinating but amateur [[ gimmicky?)... not a positive experience , and far from a happy uplifting one . Angry. Opposite of what I was experiencing in the discos. I didn't become a punk convert that night and when I learned they had split up immediately thereafter , I just kinda shrugged.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-14-2020 at 04:19 PM.