[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - Inside The Actors Studio

The host, James Lipton just died last month:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/james-lipton-dead

Blocked in my country - the UK.

This is one of the key interviews of her career

This was her best interview. Sort of like “this is your life”. Good to see her recall with detail, aspects of her life and career.

Yes, a wonderful moment in time from and for Our Miss Ross -

I always thought their was something not quite right with Diana during this interview. It just wasn't the M’s Ross I was use to. It kind of reminds me of the the mother’s day interview with Barbara Walters when she was going through a difficult period. Perhaps it was just nerves, but she seemed a little manic at times and distracted at others. I don’t think her voice was at it’s best either. It’s a shame because as has been mentioned this was a key interview.
    I love the interview that Lipton did with Bette Midler. Also very revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I always thought their was something not quite right with Diana during this interview. It just wasn't the M’s Ross I was use to. It kind of reminds me of the the mother’s day interview with Barbara Walters when she was going through a difficult period. Perhaps it was just nerves, but she seemed a little manic at times and distracted at others. I don’t think her voice was at it’s best either. It’s a shame because as has been mentioned this was a key interview.
    This was during the time she was seeking help with alcoholism and drug abuse. I am guessing her condition and state of mind at the time was serious. It also caused her to let her guard down about some truths in her life like becoming Berry Gordy's secretary ...........................when she couldn't even type! She confesses that she had to do "something" to remind him that they, The Supremes were still there at Motown. I doubt she would have been so self-revelatory under other circumstances. You saw how she wrote a 300-page autobiography and revealed basically nothing of interest or importance relating to herself.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-10-2020 at 03:08 PM.

The link sadly does not work. I have been dying to see this full episode for years but no luck. Same with the Bette Midler episode.

Works in canada

I didn't get any of that. [[Other than her voice not at it's best, of course.) She appears to be an older Ross. I think her alcoholism and depression period aged her. During RTL she still came across as young and vital. As of this interview she's lost a lot of that vivaciousness and I don't think we'd see her rejuvenenated for awhile. But I wouldn't describe her as not quite right. Plus her father would die later in the year and it's possible he may have already been having some health issues and so of course that would also take a toll. Overall I agree with Kahn, it was definitely one of her best interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This was during the time she was seeking help with alcoholism and drug abuse. I am guessing her condition and state of mind at the time was serious. It also caused her to let her guard down about some truths in her life like becoming Berry Gordy's secretary ...........................when she couldn't even type! She confesses that she had to do "something" to remind him that they, The Supremes were still there at Motown. I doubt she would have been so self-revelatory under other circumstances. You saw how she wrote a 300-page autobiography and revealed basically nothing of interest or importance relating to herself.
    This was years after she underwent treatment for alcoholism. A good thing she took the secretary job, isn't it? While I doubt the Supremes were ever in any real danger of being overlooked at Motown, it speaks to Diana's determination to succeed that she was thinking of things like this in order to maintain a presence for her group at the label.

And while her autobiography is often thrown out for being unrevealing, the true gem is in her writing about her childhood. I think there's a lot there that she was much more forthcoming with than she was about her adulthood and career. It's been eons since I've read her book, but after that first read through when it first came out, I never did read past the part about the early Supremes again. I'd pull it out and read it from the beginning and stop at some point during the Supremes part every time.

The book I wanna read is the one that got pulled after her treatment. I think it was going to do some damage [[clarity after substance abuse treatment can be a mutha, or so I've heard) and then at the last minute cancelled when Ross remembers that she doesn't do much mud flinging. But I'd pay semi-good money for a bootleg copy.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I didn't get any of that. [[Other than her voice not at it's best, of course.) She appears to be an older Ross. I think her alcoholism and depression period aged her. During RTL she still came across as young and vital. As of this interview she's lost a lot of that vivaciousness and I don't think we'd see her rejuvenenated for awhile. But I wouldn't describe her as not quite right. Plus her father would die later in the year and it's possible he may have already been having some health issues and so of course that would also take a toll. Overall I agree with Kahn, it was definitely one of her best interviews.
    I definitely agree it is one of her best, most candid interviews. For me though something is not right here. She appears not quite in the zone as if the worries of the world are pressing down on her . Perhaps one day all will be revealed in a book and we will find out just what she was going through around this time.

I definitely agree it is one of her best, most candid interviews. For me though something is not right here. She appears not quite in the zone as if the worries of the world are pressing down on her. Perhaps one day all will be revealed in a book and we will find out just what she was going through around this time.
    I still believe it was still the substance abuse issues she was dealing with. I also believe it was serious enough for her entire immediate family to come to New York, to Pace University and sit in the audience to support her. This is around the time she and famed attorney, Robert Shapiro shared their struggles with the public.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The years between 1999 and 2007 took a lot out of her. I was actually convinced after her DUI arrest in 2002 that we would lose Diana. It triggered me for some reason. But I'm glad Diana recovered. I think the birth of her first grandchild brought her back to life, I honestly do.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The years between 1999 and 2007 took a lot out of her. I was actually convinced after her DUI arrest in 2002 that we would lose Diana. It triggered me for some reason. But I'm glad Diana recovered. I think the birth of her first grandchild brought her back to life, I honestly do.
    I think your right and she totally loves her grandbabies plus sobriety brought a new energy to her and shes real happy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I think your right and she totally loves her grandbabies plus sobriety brought a new energy to her and shes real happy now.
    Right. Once her grandson was born, so was the need to drink and use pills. You can see Diana now being the way she was prior to 99.

Right. Once her grandson was born, so was the need to drink and use pills. You can see Diana now being the way she was prior to 99.
    Thank the good Lord for AA. theyve helped hundreds of millions of people over the years.

It certainly helped. Her children were her rock, and they all played their part in her recovery. I have rarely seen such a loving and devoted family. Sure they have had their share of fights and disagreements, but their bond is unbreakable. Those kids are a real credit to the lady.

I am so utterly struck with how normal she is. I don’t see any diva in her.

I don’t know why, but it disappoints me a bit. I fell in love with the overly made-up lady in the gorgeous clothes, and that is not who she really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I am so utterly struck with how normal she is. I don’t see any diva in her.

I don’t know why, but it disappoints me a bit. I fell in love with the overly made-up lady in the gorgeous clothes, and that is not who she really is.
    I believe with the vast majority of celebrities that the image they present to the public has very little to do with their core personality. The person that represents who they are inside.

Copies of the broadcast can be found on resale sites, for those who wish to know -

I believe with the vast majority of celebrities that the image they present to the public has very little to do with their core personality. The person that represents who they are inside.
    I agree. The public persona isn't who they are very often.