[REMOVE ADS]

"Unsung" BETTY WRIGHT

since we are watching way too much TV...if you have Cable On-Demand service, you can go to TV ONE Network and a new Unsung program on Betty Wright, Floridas' first big SOUL star. It aired on April 5th but I missed and was able to watch last night . As an original Betty Wright fan I really enjoyed it.Her producer at TK Productions, Steve Alaimo said how professional Betty was even at 13 & 14 years of age.

I watched this episode yesterday. It was very good. I just wish they hadn't rushed through the period after TK folded and before she hit again with AFTER THE PAIN and NO PAIN, NO GAIN. If I'm not mistaken, she was on Epic during that period and did some work with Marlon Jackson. It would have been nice to have more on those years.

In any event, it was a good episode. So far, this season has been a winner.

I caught the Betty Wright episode of Unsung and yes indeed, it's worth watching. And they have Al Jarreau on this Sunday night.

I just watched the other night. Betty Wright had one of the most amazing stories out of everyone profiled on Unsung. She is truly the Queen of the Miami sound. And a child prodigy that didn't lose her mind afterwards. Very inspiring though bittersweet [[RIP Patrick Jr.).

"Clean Up Woman" was one of my Grandpa's favorite records back then. LOL!

Saw it this past Sunday. Enjoyed every minute of it. I'll be picking up some more Betty Wright for my collection real soon.

According to a report, Chaka is saying her friend is very ill. And is asking for her "prayer warriors" to come to the rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    According to a report, Chaka is saying her friend is very ill. And is asking for her "prayer warriors" to come to the rescue.
    Yeah I saw Chaka's tweet about it. Hope Betty pulls through.

Thanks smallworld you made my day !

This is the very first time I realized that Betty Wright strongly resembles a young, legendary Ethel Waters. She was really something else! Rest in peace Betty and thank you!

I know a guitarist who played on her[clean up woman]session.

Her leaving us mere weeks after her “Unsung” makes it that much sadder. Learning about her life and her music, as well as her personality [[she was a lot like that loud aunt we all looked forward to seeing at gatherings) and then this? Just unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I know a guitarist who played on her[clean up woman]session.
    Jai, Litttle Beaver played guitar on Betty's Clean Up Woman...For those don't know who
    he is, you better ask somebody!.......

jboy88, that is a perfect description of Betty. She was so real...

It was really great to watch this episode a few weeks back, and so shocking to read about her passing shortly thereafter...

I must admit I was disappointed that they didn't talk about her brief stint at Epic Records, or interview Millie Jackson and Joss Stone...
    Last edited by pghmusiclover; 05-17-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Jai, Litttle Beaver played guitar on Betty's Clean Up Woman...For those don't know who
    he is, you better ask somebody!.......
    According to the liners there were four guitar players on the album : Willie "LIttle Beaver" Hale, Snoopy Dean, James Knight and Jess "Beaver" Carr.

I watched Betty Wright's Unsung episode again on cable after the news of her passing last week. I'll say again that it was one of the best episodes of the series & I learned a lot about Betty's work after seeing the show.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    According to the liners there were four guitar players on the album : Willie "LIttle Beaver" Hale, Snoopy Dean, James Knight and Jess "Beaver" Carr.

Yes, phil, I know there were four guitar players on the album but this has been a long
    time discussed, hell over 20 years subject on old sites I used to belong to, that Hale
    provided those licks on Clean Up Woman. I personally believe the co-signs others gave..

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I watched this episode yesterday. It was very good. I just wish they hadn't rushed through the period after TK folded and before she hit again with AFTER THE PAIN and NO PAIN, NO GAIN. If I'm not mistaken, she was on Epic during that period and did some work with Marlon Jackson. It would have been nice to have more on those years.

In any event, it was a good episode. So far, this season has been a winner.
    I totally agree with your complaint about the rush through and have been thinking about
    it a lot since , remembering that that has been done with several of my other favorite
    artists. Anyway, it's a bit old but I found interesting some information not covered in the
    Unsung on this youtube channel which you may already have seen....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9p2TojRvHA

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I watched Betty Wright's Unsung episode again on cable after the news of her passing last week. I'll say again that it was one of the best episodes of the series & I learned a lot about Betty's work after seeing the show.
    I’m watching it now and you hit the nail on the head. While the producers did a fine job, they absolutely glossed over about 9 years! Not a peep about “She’s Got Papers on Me” or “Dance with Me”? Serious oversights. And remember this joint?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I’m watching it now and you hit the nail on the head. While the producers did a fine job, they absolutely glossed over about 9 years! Not a peep about “She’s Got Papers on Me” or “Dance with Me”? Serious oversights. And remember this joint?

Lurv She's Got Papers on Me. Especially the outro riff on kicking her man to the curb and why! Underrated classic tune. Reminds me of Richard "Dimples" Fields' Papers. Not sure which came out 1st.

Did they at least spotlight No Pain No Gain?

Oops! Sorry, Sans. I overlooked your comment on She's Got Papers On Me. Disregard mine then.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Oops! Sorry, Sans. I overlooked your comment on She's Got Papers On Me. Disregard mine then.
    No worries! Dimples' track is the one that features Betty. I never realized she was uncredited until reading an obit recently. She was the factor on that track. Classic! And they would have been run outta town without "No Pain, No Gain"; they cover it as her big comeback.
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-27-2020 at 12:33 PM.