[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Mary Wilson Performs "Green River" on "AM L.A."

    Mary rocks!


  2. #2
    My favorite Supreme destroys (IMHO) one of my favorite CCR tracks....I have a VHS tape of the Black Stars UK show where Mary did the 4 songs that were cut for her 2nd LP. This was the one I hated...You Danced My Heart was magnificent...
    I love the song...if the arrangement was less manic and paced like or even a bit slower than the original CCR record, I think it would have worked for Mary...I don't like Mary in amped up Tina Turner mode...SOME of these Rock classic covers she does LIVE don't fit her performance or singing style at all (Bad Case of Loving You, Satisfaction) some do. (Bad Co.'s Cant Get Enough, Beatles a la Stevie We Can Work it Out) ...she can do some up tempo very well...her reworking of You Keep Me Hangin' On is a good example....Millie Jackson has covered many Country and Rock classics...the arrangements compliment her performing style. (MJ does Rod Stewart's Passion very well, Toto's Hold The Line, and an amazing vers. of Commodores STILL...these are all LIVE cuts BTW.)

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    My favorite Supreme destroys (IMHO) one of my favorite CCR tracks....I have a VHS tape of the Black Stars UK show where Mary did the 4 songs that were cut for her 2nd LP. This was the one I hated...You Danced My Heart was magnificent...
    I love the song...if the arrangement was less manic and paced like or even a bit slower than the original CCR record, I think it would have worked for Mary...I don't like Mary in amped up Tina Turner mode...SOME of these Rock classic covers she does LIVE don't fit her performance or singing style at all (Bad Case of Loving You, Satisfaction) some do. (Bad Co.'s Cant Get Enough, Beatles a la Stevie We Can Work it Out) ...she can do some up tempo very well...her reworking of You Keep Me Hangin' On is a good example....Millie Jackson has covered many Country and Rock classics...the arrangements compliment her performing style. (MJ does Rod Stewart's Passion very well, Toto's Hold The Line, and an amazing vers. of Commodores STILL...these are all LIVE cuts BTW.)
    Agree with you 100% gman.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    My favorite Supreme destroys (IMHO) one of my favorite CCR tracks....I have a VHS tape of the Black Stars UK show where Mary did the 4 songs that were cut for her 2nd LP. This was the one I hated...You Danced My Heart was magnificent...
    I love the song...if the arrangement was less manic and paced like or even a bit slower than the original CCR record, I think it would have worked for Mary...I don't like Mary in amped up Tina Turner mode...SOME of these Rock classic covers she does LIVE don't fit her performance or singing style at all (Bad Case of Loving You, Satisfaction) some do. (Bad Co.'s Cant Get Enough, Beatles a la Stevie We Can Work it Out) ...she can do some up tempo very well...her reworking of You Keep Me Hangin' On is a good example....Millie Jackson has covered many Country and Rock classics...the arrangements compliment her performing style. (MJ does Rod Stewart's Passion very well, Toto's Hold The Line, and an amazing vers. of Commodores STILL...these are all LIVE cuts BTW.)
    A lot of that was due to the encouragement of her then manager, Chip Lightman...the louse! Any way, LOL! I always wanted to hear Mary sing "Misty Blue" by Dorothy Moore. I just know it would sound great.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    A lot of that was due to the encouragement of her then manager, Chip Lightman...the louse! Any way, LOL! I always wanted to hear Mary sing "Misty Blue" by Dorothy Moore. I just know it would sound great.
    Lone me some “Misty Blue”. Other then the wonderful Dorothy, the only other version that I really dig is by Australian singer Karen Lee Andrews.
    I’m trying to hear Mary sing this in my head, but it’s not coming through ....yet lol.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    825
    She stinks to high heaven. Where’s the Lysol !!

  7. #7
    Misty Blue...I've heard many versions too....I like the song, period...but Dorothy's 1976 cut is the best...it a country song originally, and I like country-cosmopolitan stuff.
    The very first version I heard was Ella Fitzgerald! '68...I was 9! my 33 yr. old brother had her "Misty Blue" LP. It had a beautiful dark blue cover with big, misty, ice blue flowers on it.

  8. #8
    and if Mary's gonna tackle a Rolling Stones song, "Winter" would be just perfect for her...style and tempo wise, and a great set of lyrics....if she wants something racier, "Out Of Time"

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    and if Mary's gonna tackle a Rolling Stones song, "Winter" would be just perfect for her...style and tempo wise, and a great set of lyrics....if she wants something racier, "Out Of Time"
    Wild Horses, Sister Morphine... all the Stones ballads would suit her voice actually.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by supreme View Post
    Wild Horses, Sister Morphine... all the Stones ballads would suit her voice actually.
    Why are we giving her suggestions of other songs to destroy?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Why are we giving her suggestions of other songs to destroy?
    Her band are tight and her vocals are still rather strong. Rolling Stones songs don't require a lot of range either.

    i don't see how Mary Wilson would ruin them?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Lone me some “Misty Blue”. Other then the wonderful Dorothy, the only other version that I really dig is by Australian singer Karen Lee Andrews.
    I’m trying to hear Mary sing this in my head, but it’s not coming through ....yet lol.
    Ok Ollie, get with it! LOL! THINK: "I Keep It Hid" or "You Are the Heart of Me".

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by supreme View Post
    Her band are tight and her vocals are still rather strong. Rolling Stones songs don't require a lot of range either.

    i don't see how Mary Wilson would ruin them?
    She did not ruin them. I've heard Mary do her "Rollings Stones" medley in concert at least a dozen times. He just does not like anything about Mary Wilson, which is his prerogative, but he is hardly objective.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.