[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Yes the Mabel John CD is worth seeking out even if it does contain 2 of the same song. It was a treat to see Mabel on the Divas of Motown show several months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Yes the Mabel John CD is worth seeking out even if it does contain 2 of the same song. It was a treat to see Mabel on the Divas of Motown show several months ago.
    Thanks again!

Just received the track list from Mick:

Capitol tracks:

Stolen Hours
    Lucky My Boy
    Ecstasy
    Love And Desire
    That's All You Got To Do
    Stay With Your Own Kind
    Evidence
    That's The Chance You Gotta Take
    Black Mother Goose

Motown tracks:

The Touch Of Venus
    Those DJ Shows
    For The Love Of Mike
    Stevie
    My 2 Arms - You = Tears
    Come Into My Palace
    All That's Good
    I Got To Change
    Tall Boy
    Flippitty Flop
    The Go Gang
    Love Walked Right In
    Crying
    Face In The Crowd
    Surf Stomp [[Aka Beach Stomp)
    [[He Is) The Boy Of My Dreams

Excellent...looks like a fine set!

RossHolloway Guest
    16 Motown tracks, now that's interesting...Does anyone really know what happened between her and Motown?

Looks promising. I believe "That's All You Got To Do" is from the Hanna Barbera cartoon.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Just received the track list from Mick:

Capitol tracks:

Stolen Hours
    Lucky My Boy
    Ecstasy
    Love And Desire
    That's All You Got To Do
    Stay With Your Own Kind
    Evidence
    That's The Chance You Gotta Take
    Black Mother Goose

Motown tracks:

The Touch Of Venus
    Those DJ Shows
    For The Love Of Mike
    Stevie
    My 2 Arms - You = Tears
    Come Into My Palace
    All That's Good
    I Got To Change
    Tall Boy
    Flippitty Flop
    The Go Gang
    Love Walked Right In
    Crying
    Face In The Crowd
    Surf Stomp [[Aka Beach Stomp)
    [[He Is) The Boy Of My Dreams

YAY! That's the Chance You Gotta Take.

It's outstanding releases like this one that have kept my interest in soul music alive for over 40 years now. This is just the bee's knees.

don't forget the "bell's knell"

Amazon UK now says Release date for this is around June 7th.

Is their not quite a Patrice/Phyliis Hyman resemblance?

Not featured on upcoming Anthology:

What is this - anyone?

[[edit: I mean, I know what it is, obviously, but what's the story behind it? The writing credit implies both sisters wrote it, Hal Davis seemingly produced it before Motown's West Coast office opened, I've never heard of Taste Records... would love to know more about this single.)
    Last edited by radionixon; 05-02-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radionixon View Post

What is this - anyone?

[[edit: I mean, I know what it is, obviously, but what's the story behind it? The writing credit implies both sisters wrote it, Hal Davis seemingly produced it before Motown's West Coast office opened, I've never heard of Taste Records... would love to know more about this single.)
    The song is on the Brenda Holloway release that came out last year. IT was the work of Brenda prior to her signing with Motown. Loved the release, and you can see why Berry Gordy wanted to sign her on the spot.

Has release date been changed? HMV showing 30th May.

Ace/Kent usually releases a batch of CD's at the end of every month so I think everything's proceeding as planned.

Patrice is finally available at dustygroove!

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?...&ref=index.php

excited for this set!

RossHolloway Guest
    I actually pre-ordered this release thru Amazon, which is a first for me. I'm really excited for this set.

I received this [[along with The Monitors cd) today. Thank you for this most excellent release.
    The pictures were fabulous from baby fat to stunningly Brenda-like gorgeous! The essay was superb, touching and quite honest. On the one hand, my heart aches for Patrice and her affliction, but on the other, I am amazed at all that she accomplished at such a young age.
    And the music....Patrice excelled in so many styles and genres.
    Vicki Fox is to be congratulated for her hand coloring of the cd booklet front cover photo. I would have never known if I had not read the small print of the cd case back cover.

If only Johny Bristol were alive to help sort out exactly who is singing background in the Diana Ross [[& The Supremes) hit 'Someday We'll Be Together'......

Or even John or Johnny........

Ramone Verona Guest
    My set is supposed to arrive on the 7th.
    Thanks for the short review!
    I just knew this would be a wonderful compilation.
    Really enjoyed her Rhino-"Josie" release.
    I was in Manhattan a while back and saw Cheryl Ladd signing autographs outside a theater and a few people had her sign their "Pussycats" album with her, Patrice and Cathy on the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmaninthethirdrow View Post
    Or even John or Johnny........
    Touche! Let's hire each other as proof-readers. I'm glad [[that) you're paying attention!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  21.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by radionixon View Post

What is this - anyone?

Hi Nix,

Hal Davis was Brenda's and Patrice's producer. He didn't have enough of his own money to pay for recording sessions AND pressing up and distribution, so he got financiers to pay for those functions, whenever he couldn't "place" his productions [[lease masters) to existing record companies, such as Bob Keane's Del-Fi and Donna Records, The Bihari Brothers' Modern/Kent Records, Joker Records, Magnum Records, and even Chicago's VJ, Tollie and Constellation Records, and tiny Doc records in Pennsylvania. Davis had records out on GSP [[a Gary Paxton label), Alden Records, Wizard Records, Taste Records, Dee Gee Records, Tamara Records, and perhaps Brenda's cuts on Catch Records [[not sure he was involved), because he got a financier. Those labels, therefore, were "owned" by the financier, and run by Davis [[sometimes together with Marc Gordon, and Frank Wilson or Chester and Jimmy Pipkin).

I believe that the Taste Record came out DURING the period of 1963 that Motown's Jobete Music's L.A. office was already operating. Hal Davis and his crew [[listed above) and also including Willie Hutch [[Hutchison), H.B. Barnum, Vince Love, William Powell, Ed Cobb, Charles Wright, John Marascalco, Al Capps, Herman Griffith, and Kent and Toni Harris, wrote songs for Jobete Music from 1963-1966 [[long before Motown moved to L.A. But Motown also did some recording in L.A. during that period. Davis, Gordon and Wilson used some of their own signed singers and groups, to demo songs for Motown's Detroit artists, and also got some of their artists placed on Motown's labels. Brenda and Patrice Holloway, [[Tamla and VIP), The Vows [[VIP), Oma Heard [[VIP), Joanne & Triangles, [[VIP), Danny Day [[Hal Davis-VIP), The Lewis Sisters [[VIP), Little Lisa [[VIP), The Messengers [[Soul), all got Motown releases. The Versatiles recorded several cuts, but never got a release.

Motown had hired an already existing production group. Hal Davis and Marc Gordon and The Pipkin Brothers had been working together and even had their own music publishing company [[Finesse Music). Frank Wilson and the others joined them when Davis was signed to Jobete Music. They had an affiliation with single artists and groups they recorded and used them as demo singers and background singers. Those other artists that are not listed above [[because they didn't get a Motown release during the operation of the L.A. Jobete Music Office) include: Gloria Jones, Mary Love, Sandy Wynns [[Edna Wright), Barbara Wilson [[Frank's wife), Pat Hunt [[Brenda and Patrice's cousin), Jean[[ne) King, Connie Clark, Pamela Baitey, Marie Gregory, Sonny Holliday [[Hal Davis), Sonny Daye and Eddie Wilson [[Frank Wilson), Willie Hutch, Paris, Ollie Jackson, Fury Vanta, Ricardo King, Charles Wright, The Autographs, The Marvellos, The Magnificents, The Soul-Teasers, The Watesians [[with Brenda, and Patrice), The Dimples, and The Cinderellas.

Songs that were rejected by Jobete Music, were published by Finesse Music. Songs that were not recorded and released by Motown within 6 months of their sale, had first rights to recording and release revert to their original writer/producer. In such cases, Davis, Gordon, Wilson, or whoever it was, would then have one of his own artists record a final version and lease the masters to an existing record company, as in the case of many Gordon/Wilson songs recorded by Mary Love for Modern Records, or several Davis/Pipkin songs being recorded by The Autographs for Joker Records, or The Vows recording a Finesse song for Tamara Records. Gordon and Wilson even produced a recording of one of their songs for The Ikettes on Modern records "I'm So Thankful", which WAS recorded by a Motown artist, but never released. If they couldn't lease the masters to an existing company, they'd find a financier, and put it out on a new label, as H.B. Barnum/Gordon and Wilson did with "My Heart is Calling You" by The Magnificents out on Dee Gee Records, as [[I believe) the Four Tops' Motown cut was released after the rights reverted. Window Shopping On Girls' Avenue by The Vala-Quons went to Ray Charles' Tangerine Records.

We have a great thread on this very subject in Soulful Detroit Classic Threads section. It has a more detailed explanation of How the L.A. Jobete Music Office operated from 1963-66 than what I've written here, plus it has hundreds of label scans of L.A. Jobete and Finesse Music releases on all the small indie labels, and even on the majors [[all the non-Motown releases). I'm sure you'd want to see and read that. I can't remember the thread title, but I believe it is something like: "L.A. and New York Jobete Music Offices Production". I'll look it up and post it here.

Here's a link to that classic thread: http://faac.us/adf/messages/28522/13...tml?1170122862
    Last edited by robb_k; 06-06-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Views: 457
    What would be interesting to me would be to find out who the male and female background singers were on that Taste Record. I can hear both Brenda and Patrice on it. I think I hear one more female voice [[maybe Pat Hunt?). I hear a few male voices on the bass part. I wonder who they are? Hal has a very high voice. I don't think he was one of them. Maybe they used The Vows? Or Marc and Frank?

Some of you were in contact with Brenda. Maybe you know who they were?

Robb, a slight clarification about "I'm So Thankful"; it was recorded and released by Edwin Starr and Blinky on their 1969 album. Barbara Randolph also recorded it, but it wasn't released until her CD collection a few years ago. Is there a Motown version in the vault that was recorded before the Ikettes [[and remains unreleased)? If so, by whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone Verona View Post
    My set is supposed to arrive on the 7th.
    er.
    I've just got an e-mail from Amazon saying my copy has been despatched!

I think "I'm So Thankful" would have been a great song for the Marvelettes to cover.

Brother Love....I've got it in my head now..quick...Wanda or Gladys.

I'm hearing Gladys

Views: 422
    Here's a link to our classic thread on L.A. [[1963-66) and New York's [[1963-64) Jobete music offices: http://faac.us/adf/messages/28522/13...tml?1170122862

Views: 422
    Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Robb, a slight clarification about "I'm So Thankful"; it was recorded and released by Edwin Starr and Blinky on their 1969 album. Barbara Randolph also recorded it, but it wasn't released until her CD collection a few years ago. Is there a Motown version in the vault that was recorded before the Ikettes [[and remains unreleased)? If so, by whom?
    I saw a couple of Motown versions in The Motown Vaults during the 1970s. I don't remember who the artists were, but I guess the one I was referring to must have been The Barbara Randolph version. But, as Marc Gordon and Frank Wilson registered the song on June 1, 1965, for Jobete Music, it must have been submitted to Motown [[Jobete Music) for purchase or rejection before that. They must have purchased it before that date [[maybe April or May, 1965?). The amount of time Motown had to record and release the song before first rights to release it would revert back to the producer/writers [[6 months?) would have elapsed by late 1965 [[maybe October or November, 1965?). I believe that The Ikettes' release was November 1965. On the other hand, I believe Barbara Randolph's recording was done in 1966 or 1967 [[it certainly sounds a lot "newer" than 1965).

Assuming the Ikettes' version was recorded and released first, that would indicate that although Jobete Music had bought the song in early/mid 1965, and they failed to exercise their rights to first recording and release, and first rights to release reverted to Marc Gordon and Frank Wilson. So, they took advantage of that opportunity by "shopping the song" to Ike Turner, for The Ikettes, and made a deal to run the recording session. Later, Motown, who "owned" the song, as Jobete Music had bought it, certainly had the rights to record it on one of their artists, and release it [[thus the Barbara Randolph and Edwin Starr and Blinky recordings and release on the duet).

Now this would be a nice set to have for my collection. I didn't know there were that many recordings still out there on her.

I pre-ordered this set from Amazon US a few weeks ago. This morning, I got an e-mail telling me that they are having trouble getting stock on it and will ship it as soon as they have it in stock. DARN. I was looking forward to having it today so I could start listening--and enjoying! Let's hope this stocking delay is brief. I'd be thrilled if it turned out that it was delayed because it has been selling really, really well!

RossHolloway Guest
    I pre-ordered this set from Amazon US a few weeks ago. This morning, I got an e-mail telling me that they are having trouble getting stock on it and will ship it as soon as they have it in stock. DARN. I was looking forward to having it today so I could start listening--and enjoying! Let's hope this stocking delay is brief. I'd be thrilled if it turned out that it was delayed because it has been selling really, really well!
    I pre-ordered mine as well from Amazon on May 20th, I just checked the site and it has not been shipped yet, but says the estimated date of delivery is June 10-14. I haven't gotten an email saying its been delayed.

Interesting... Ross, hopefully we'll both get our copies before the end of this week! FINGERS CROSSED!

Loving Patrice's take on the Miracles "All That's Good."

The only recordings of "I'm So Thankful" in the Vaults are by Edwin & Blinky and Barbara Randolph. [[I THINK! - you never know what will turn up there, though.) The Blinky & Edwin version is the only one in the Log Book, recording completed on 28/5/69. Barbara's was recorded first, in LA, and the reel date for her version is 31/3/67. [[Without a long sidetrack, I'll simply say that means the recording must have been completed by that date.)

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    The only recordings of "I'm So Thankful" in the Vaults are by Edwin & Blinky and Barbara Randolph. [[I THINK! - you never know what will turn up there, though.) The Blinky & Edwin version is the only one in the Log Book, recording completed on 28/5/69. Barbara's was recorded first, in LA, and the reel date for her version is 31/3/67. [[Without a long sidetrack, I'll simply say that means the recording must have been completed by that date.)
    Wait. There are more unreleased duets between Edwin Starr & Blinky? Yet their LP only had 11 tracks on it?

As far as the unreleased tracks go "Love Walked Right In" is the killer for me, on the third play on the bounce. A good release nice to have all Patrice's tracks in one place.

RossHolloway Guest
    Interesting... Ross, hopefully we'll both get our copies before the end of this week! FINGERS CROSSED!
    Amazon is not showing the CD as Temporarily Out of Stock. I cancelled my order thru Amazon and re-ordered it again thru another retailer for about $.50 less. Fingers crossed it will get here next week. *sigh*

Just received my CD today, along with Monitors, Satintones and Brenda. I just ordered last Friday evening from Dusty Groove. It only took 5 days!

I'm going to have a lot of listening to do this weekend. I also recently got Tata Vega, Marv Johnson and The Contours CDs, and of course The Final Sessions.

Finally got the Jean Terrell DVD and waiting for the Mary Wilson DVD to arrive.

Well well well

There's some guy I know wanting to sell his collection....but he's still buying everything!

lolololol

...and John, I think you meant Patrice, not Brenda!

Mr. Soul, you're so right about "Love Walked Right In" it is a killer track. I had that as a boot track for for many so it's great to finally get to hear it crystal clear. Ace Records is really on the case when it comes to bringing us some great CD collections. Barvo!!!

jonjeb
    8cds,dvds!do you phone 'round telling everyone to leave you alone while you digest that lot?!!glad i'm not your neighbor or maybe i wish i was!

Ramone Verona Guest
    Got a mail from Amazon today that says "Temp. Out of Stock".
    But no dates what-so-ever.

Ramone

Did you order the wrong cd?

[[That was a joke......Temp.....!!)

LOL

John, I did mean Brenda, not Patrice. Since this thread is about Patrice's Anthology I replied that I "received my CD", meaning Patrice's, and then I listed all the other CDs I also got. Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly as I was giddy as a schoolkid with my new toys.

OK so I'm like Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Yes, I have purchased quite a bit lately but I have saved for these purchases. In addition to the music, I love the booklets with pictures and essays so that makes the purchases essential for me [[how do you like my rationalizations, so far?) I'm selling the albums that I have on CD and that take up so much damn space. So out with the old and in with the new.

tamla617, listening to these CDs will be a challenge. The stereo and HD TV are in the same room, my partner watches sports constantly so I rarely get to listen to my CDs. [[Thus the reasoning for my emerging Jekyll/Hyde personality.) I will have to start using my CD player in the bedroom or on my PC to attend to this lot.

Last week I tried listening to The Contours and Marv Johnson while doing housework but that didn't work so well. We have a washing machine that is so loud that I barely heard any music during the spin cycles. To make matters worse my wireless headphones broke about two weeks ago. Another purchase in my near future.

John

You are funny. LOL You'll have us discussing the pros and cons of spin dryers before the night is out!

Ever thought of wearing the same shirt 2 days running.......then you don't need to use the washing machine?

LOLOL

John, tamla617 mentioned he was glad he wasn't my neighbor because of the music. He should be glad he isn't my neighbor because of this damn machine. It came with the rental house. Fortunately neighbors aren't too close, although Rick gets embarrassed if I blast the music too loud [[or maybe it's my singing!). Can't wait to embarrass him all weekend!!!!

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Ramone

Did you order the wrong cd?

[[That was a joke......Temp.....!!)

LOL
    LOL!
    Actually you were spot on as I did go back to check on the account to make sure the correct artist had been ordered!