[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Love & Desire: The Patrice Holloway Anthology

Encouraged by your enthusiasm for the Monitors, and your response to the idea of releasing yet more Motown material in short order, Ace/Kent Records have asked me to announce that Love & Desire: The Patrice Holloway Anthology will make its appearance at the same time as Say You! - The Motown Anthology 1963-1968, namely at the end of May. Sorry, impoverished Motown fans, May is going to be an expensive month for you all ...

This release marks the beginning of a series-within-a-series from Ace. There are plenty of artists who didn't record enough material for Motown to fill a CD, but did record material for other companies that Ace is in a position to license. Patrice Holloway is one such. She recorded 16 tracks for Motown, 6 of which have already seen the light of day and 10 of which have, until now, remained unreleased: this CD will contain them all. In addition, it will feature 9 tracks from her time at Capitol: all of these have appeared before, though not, I think, on CD. So - a total of 25 tracks in all: as ever, great value from Ace!

The CD has been compiled by Mick Patrick, and the essay written by Dennis Garvey. Recording details for the Motown tracks come from The Usual Supplier, and Mick has done the same for the Capitol recordings. I never have much luck uploading images to the Board, so I'll be passing the cover art to a learned friend and I hope it will appear on this thread in due course. And the track list will, of course, follow in time.

And now I shall rest my fingers, and look forward to perusing this thread over the coming weeks to see what other ideas you have for these minor [[in terms of output only, of course) Motown artists who you think might follow Patrice in this series. Naturally, we have some ideas of our own ...

Apologies once again for the bad news re your pocket money, especially to UK readers who are bracing themselves for the Budget, when the Government will be seeking to remove yet more dosh from their pensions and pay packets for their own frightful purposes. But wait till you hear Patrice's "Love Walked In", you'll thank us in the end! [[Oops, did I just reveal a track title there?)

Keith

...didn't see that one coming. Sounds good, and encourages me to think that somthing similar could happen with Carolyn Crawford...and even the Lewis Sisters [[well, we all have our little weaknesses...)

Wow! What great news. If Brenda Holloway was considered overlooked at Motown, then Patrice must be considered almost an afterthought to the powers that were, at the time.

Of course he wasn't a minor artist, but a legit Eddie Holland set would be fantastic.

In addition, I would love to see a Mabel John set, or a set on some of the other early bluesier Motown singers like Amos Milburn, Gino Parks and Sammy Ward. I have the old Switched on Blues LP, and the later Blues CD compilation, which are both excellent. I also have the Mabel John Stax "Stay out of the Kitchen" CD, also very good. She was a great artist.

Thanks again Ace!

Kenneth,

i'm really gunning for an Eddie Holland set soon as well, but am hopeful this will be a Motown only set, comprising the 'Jamie' album, the non album singles [[hopefully in stereo), and unreleased tracks, and not a more generic collection incorporating his United Artists sides, along the Marginal bootleg lines.

Thelma Houston and Jerry Butler's two LPs on one CD with any unreleased tracks. THANKS!

Would love to see that "Blackberries" CD come to light....if this is something you can lay claim to? Bring it on....I'll re-mortgage the house.

You've been offered Pat Holloway. Out of the blue. WOW!
    It is NOT polite to immediately ask for more, much, much more, folks. Don't be so greedy!

I will be purchasing this one for sure. This new release venture sounds wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    You've been offered Pat Holloway. Out of the blue. WOW!
    It is NOT polite to immediately ask for more, much, much more, folks. Don't be so greedy!
    "And now I shall rest my fingers, and look forward to perusing this thread over the coming weeks to see what other ideas you have for these minor [[in terms of output only, of course) Motown artists who you think might follow Patrice in this series." - Keith

Hey, we were asked! Not that a true Motown fan needs to be asked, naturally!

Sorry, I overlooked. Keep on asking for MORE!!!

I hope Patrice's ACE disc is better than sister Brenda's. Personally that Brenda disc was a waste of money. I've played it like once.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-22-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Now now you greedys--be patient to give them your money[[LOL). The corporate powers that be should be on their knees in gratitude that Patrice triggered other desires!! Could someone please explain to me why Motown recorded all those sides on her and did so little with her? They knew they had sisters from the beginning so...

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Now now you greedys--be patient to give them your money[[LOL). The corporate powers that be should be on their knees in gratitude that Patrice triggered other desires!! Could someone please explain to me why Motown recorded all those sides on her and did so little with her? They knew they had sisters from the beginning so...

Yeah, why did they neglect Patrice and give her sister the push? It probably had something to do with marketing. Patrice was a little plump kid where older sister Brenda was shapely. I don't know.
    Frankly, I've always preferred Patrice. She just appealed to me more than her sister. This is a release I've long wanted because of Patrice's Motown and non_Motown tracks. Hopefully, the liner notes will shed light on Patrice's career at Motown and why she left or was let go before Brenda.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-23-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Patrice

And here is the terrific cover - my aren't we being spoiled at the moment?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Paul, great job. Re other proposed releases, Eddie Holland comes up regularly.......I think it would find very strong support. As you will know, there are a surprising amount of recordings. The material I've heard is very strong and the Marginal quality was dire on their 'release'.

As an aside, are Kent not permitted to place Motown / Tamla Motown logos on covers? I wonder if it would draw extra sales when people are browsing, given the power of the brands and that it is not necessarily apparent to the average punter that the album includes genuine Motown recordings. Perhaps the Capitol inclusions rule this out? The cover art is truly superb by the way.
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 03-23-2011 at 04:13 AM.

Absolutely fantastic news, Keith. Thanks for bringing them to us. You and your colleagues over at Ace/Kent are spoiling us to bits this spring. Patrice did record some great sides for Capitol, and what I've heard from her Motown recordings have been satisfactory as well. Ten previously unissued Motown recordings - wow! I'm certainly looking forward to this release.

Regarding the "series-within-a-series" at Ace/Kent with artists who recorded not enough material at Motown to fill up a CD but recorded some elsewhere, Carolyn Crawford comes to mind. So does also G.C. Cameron, Jerry Butler, Major Lance, The Fantastic Four, J.J. Barnes and the San Remo Strings. Those are all I can come up with right now, but I'm sure there are more. I noticed an Arthur Adams CD came out on Ace/Kent a month or so ago. That would have been a contender also, since Arthur had a couple of singles released on the Chisa label in the early 1970's.

Gotta put aside some scratch for that...Mercy!....

The Underdogs [[natch!):- Motown plus others.

There are all sorts of reasons why Ace might not do a compilation on a particular artist, not least of which is that some other company, including Universal, might have already ear-marked that artist for a forthcoming release anyway. But it's still useful to know what people would like to hear, because that gives some indication to Ace of what would be likely to sell for them.

Both Marv Johnson and Monitors were much "requested" here and elsewhere, before there was any announcement from Ace, and I passed that info back to them. From which I hope you can see that your suggestions do play a part in their planning ...

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    There are all sorts of reasons why Ace might not do a compilation on a particular artist, not least of which is that some other company, including Universal, might have already ear-marked that artist for a forthcoming release anyway. But it's still useful to know what people would like to hear, because that gives some indication to Ace of what would be likely to sell for them.

Both Marv Johnson and Monitors were much "requested" here and elsewhere, before there was any announcement from Ace, and I passed that info back to them. From which I hope you can see that your suggestions do play a part in their planning ...
    Since people are making requests or suggestions, I have one that's Motown related in a way and another that is Motown. The first would be Rhetta Hughes Relight My Fire, which was recorded in Detroit and produced by Mike Terry, former Motown sideman and it featured Bob Babbitt and other Detroit musicians. I don't know who owns the rights, but the album orginally released on Tetragramaton has never been on CD before. Since Ace does so well with obscure female singers like Patrice Holloway, Rhetta would fit in. Vinyl copies of Rhetta's album already fetch top dollar among collectors in Europe and the US. She also had records on Columbia and other labels.
    I might even smile if it got released.

I would be interested in a Carolyn Crawford disc that would include her Motown sides plus more.

I've got a request for SoulMusic.com since David Nathan is doing some latter or Seventies Motown reissues. Anyone know how to contact them by email?

And what happened to that Detroit Best of Soul compilation from ACE that
    was mentioned on the forum, but now seems forgotten?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-23-2011 at 07:04 AM.

...Eddie Holland and Shorty Long are crying out for Anthologies

...I'd love to see them also on ...The Lewis Sisters ...Carolyn Crawford ...The Fantastic Four ...Earl Van Dyke ...and a Complete Edwin Starr set...?

To contact David Nathan:

By email: info@soulmusic.com
    By standard mail: 10125 Colesville Road #246 Silver Spring, MD 20901

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    To contact David Nathan:

By email: info@soulmusic.com
    By standard mail: 10125 Colesville Road #246 Silver Spring, MD 20901
    Thanks. Might as well give him some suggestions too.

"I might even smile if it got released."

Kamasu!

I have the album but I agree it ought to be on CD. So you have my support on 2 counts!

*smile*

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    "I might even smile if it got released."

Kamasu!

I have the album but I agree it ought to be on CD. So you have my support on 2 counts!

*smile*
    John, you've been keeping secrets again. smile

Absolutely thrilled with the news of this release, and so happy that Ace/Kent will put it out. They do great work. I don't want to make suggestions or start a wish list, I just want to be grateful what is and what is to come!
    Hope springs eternal!

With the release of the Patrice Holloway Anthology, why not a re-visit of her sister Brenda's recordings.
    Volume 2 might include her unreleased Music Merchant album and stereo versions of previously unreleased selections from Volume 1 [[if they are available in stereo), and if not, additional as of yet unreleased tracks from the vaults.

Hadn't thought about Edwin Starr as a possibility- haven't we already got all of his 60's music on the Soul Master/25 Miles two-for-one, Ric-Tic Relics Vol. 1 and 2, Groovesville Vol 1 and 3, Soul Satisfaction Vol. 4, Kent's Cellar of Soul Vol.2, Motown Around the World, Cellarful of Motown Vol 1, 3 and 4, Motown around the world, Sought After Soul, [[Check out the alternative My Weakness is You on TCMS Vol. 8- where did that come from? Top stuff!) If there's anything else, or Ace/Kent could collect all of this stuff in a double cd package, I'd buy it but I bet it would be a licensing nightmare and its already out there [[I refuse to make any comments on the legitimacy and sound quality of the Ric Tic Relics, Groovesville and Sought After Soul collections!)

The same goes for J.J. Barnes, if there is enough for a Motown collection that would be amazing [[maybe a search for other Golden World artists would provide enough for a compilation- any Steve Mancha demos lying around?!! Or, as several people has asked, combine what can be found of J.J. with the Fantastic Four) But since Goldmine released a double cd a few years back, like Edwin there's too much Motown/Non-Motown music for a single or even double cd set.

Sorry, being greedy! But I've suggested Monitors before, and its reassuring to know that people are listening! So, Edwin, J.J. Barnes any Steve Mancha and Fantastic Four. And tell Hip-O to release Lil' Stevie Wonder or hand him over!

Great news, what more can I add to the comments above re this release? None!

Just a thought re possible future releases. I know Universal will be reluctant to hand over Supremes material, and I am not a Supremes fan particularly, but the one release I would like to see is "Sing and Perform Disney Classics". Let's get this out in its full glory. I can think of no-one better than Ace to research the full history of this project. I know that many of the tracks have been officially released on various Supremes compilation CDs, but to my knowledge, 3 tracks continue to be in the vaults not having seen a legal release. Just a thought, and hey, if its a toss-up between this and a possible Fantastic Four release, I'll take the latter every time!

RossHolloway Guest
    This is outstanding news! I just recently downloaded her song Stolen Hours from Itunes. I cannot wait for this release. Her version of Those DJ Shows is so sultry, I feel dirty listening to it. lol.

And to answer the question from someone earlier about why Motown didn't do enough with her, I think it may have had something to do with her young age and living in California. If memory serves me correctly she was a few years younger than Brenda and Brenda was just 18 when her song Every Little Bit Hurts became a hit. Patrice is listed as being born in March 1951 so she would have been 12 when she signed to Motown [[12?!!). With Motown being primarily based out of Detroit, it was probably very difficult to record, much less tour and promote such a young singer who lived in California. I also think age is what stalled Carolyn Crawfords career at Motown as well.

With respect to what someone said about the Brenda Holloway release of her early materials I could not disagree more. I was so amazed at what a great voice Brenda had when she was only 15 or 16 years old. Women twice her age could only dream of having that voice. You can listen to that cd and see why Berry Gordy wanted to sign her on the spot. I also wonder if Patrice and Brenda were some sort of a packaged deal when they signed with Motown. I've also always wondered why her first Motown single from late '63 was pulled back because of some contract dispute, yet she still recorded for the label well into 1965. None the less I can't wait to hear these songs! News of this release has certainly made my day!

Completely forgot that she does one of my favorite songs, "For the Love of Mike." She was also the voice of Josie in Josie and the Pussycats. I wonder if any of that stuff will be on this CD...

The cover lists Evidence as one of the tracks, but it's B-side That's The Chance You Gotta Take got airplay in Detroit. Hope it's included.

This is a nice, unexpected release. However, I am still waiting for THE MARVELETTES Volume 2. But, hey...Universal can rush out Smokeys complete albums volume 8 or whatever. and we should be HAPPY. Im not rushing to buy. His Volumes 1 and 2 are in the bargain bin in my local store already.Oh, and yet another Best of Lionel Ritchie, of German origin, in there too. Next thing will be Rueben Howells 2 albums as a twofer, URGH!, released before The MARVELETTES of course. Paulo xxx

http://www.spectropop.com/PatriceHolloway/

I did not realize Patrice was no longer with us.

So sad to say true..Paulo xxx

[QUOTE=kenneth;42799]"I would love to see a Mabel John set"

Is there more material in the Motown vaults on Mabel John than appeared on the My Name Is Mabel CD a couple of years ago? Sadly, my copy seemed to contain two of the same version of "Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That" rather than the two different ones.

Great news about the Patrice set - S is for Stevie la la la la la.

ace does it again,this was suprise.
    blackberries would be good,yvonne fair?

well done ace AGAIN!

Paulo- couldn't agree more. Hip-O select are mroe than pleased with themselves for releasing 15-16 track solo Smokey stuff that [[a) was recorded under much better conditions than 60's music [[hence it needs much less effort with the remastering) and [[b) is pretty lame when Ace release twice the amount of songs on a cd. I know I'm doing a bit of Hip-O bashing, but while I love the releases they make, they've certainly taken their eye off the ball in recent times. The second, and infinitely more interesting, Marvelettes release which we were promised two years ago still is nowhere to be seen, yet the Smokey albums which were never part of Motown50 and is very far removed from the classic Motown sound get a priority. Looks like their market has changed, really would not get any hopes up for near future releases. Or maybe it all went up in the fire and they're hoping no one will notice...

Totally agree about Hip-O. I will shortly be done with them. Love the artwork for Patrice's new package.
    It is fun to get excited once again over releases that actually happen and are not years off.

Fabulous, fabulous news. There's some great work being done at Ace.

Now, what about the Originals? Is there more from the mid-late 60s, typical Studio A stuff from the golden period, led by Joe Stubbs or the other guys after he left? Then there's the Voicemasters link, although that would probably not be to my liking... CP Spencer solo cuts... and if we're hooking up with other labels, their Another Time, Another Place [[Fantasy)?

By the way, Kamasu Jr, look how that little plump kid turned out!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post

By the way, Kamasu Jr, look how that little plump kid turned out!
    On the old MBB, someone sent me a very old photo of Patrice as a kid froom the Sixties. I had never seen her photo. She was a plump one, as most children are. She was still growing.

Is there a track listing available yet?

I'm looking forward to this release, keep them coming ACE...

Love and Desire/ Ecstasy was one of the great double-sided records. I shall definitely be buying this one along with the Monitors, and hopefully will receive the Contours next week.

I agree with Grapevine on wanting to see releases on Eddie Holland and Shorty Long. Also there must still be plenty of unreleased stuff on Brenda Holloway.

And come on, Hip-O. Where's the Marvelettes Vol 2? I'm not going to live forever, you know.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  21.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post
    Kenneth,

i'm really gunning for an Eddie Holland set soon as well, but am hopeful this will be a Motown only set, comprising the 'Jamie' album, the non album singles [[hopefully in stereo), and unreleased tracks, and not a more generic collection incorporating his United Artists sides, along the Marginal bootleg lines.
    Unlike Marv Johnson, whose longer UA career saw him brought to NY to record for UA producers, I believe ALL Eddie Holland's recordings released on United Artists were produced by Motown producers [[Berry Gordy) and recorded at the same Detroit recording studios as Motown [[pre-Snakepit '59-'61) [[and possibly, the last 2 in The Snakepit in 1961?). In addition, the inclusion of his Mercury 2 cuts [[produced by Berry Gordy) and his few UA sides, would only add a few cuts to the set. I think it would be worth it, for the sake of completion.

I'd vote for Carolyn Crawford, Eddie Holland, The Fantastic Four, and J.J. Barnes.

honest man Guest
    the FANTASTIC4 JJ BARNES PLEASE.................. There were a lot of unissued brenda material on her anthology, do you really think there are more to fill another cd.hope so.about 11 years ago i was at anorthern do and chris king played YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY BABY BH.When i mentioned this version i was told it was a rerecorded version on SDF,believe me it was not,so i know that is still hidden somewhere,cheers.

Andy

Brenda might have recorded a lead vocal on the backing track at the time when she and did recorded new vocals on Come On And See Me, Just A Little Misunderstanding etc.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    the FANTASTIC4 JJ BARNES PLEASE.................. There were a lot of unissued brenda material on her anthology, do you really think there are more to fill another cd.hope so.about 11 years ago i was at anorthern do and chris king played YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY BABY BH.When i mentioned this version i was told it was a rerecorded version on SDF,believe me it was not,so i know that is still hidden somewhere,cheers.
    Years ago on one of the boards HW stated that ther was still enough unreleased Brenda recordings to make a Lost & Found...and he stated recently there is a live concert that was recorded in LA on her as well. Fingers crossed that it all sees the light of day sooner than later.

[QUOTE=mysterysinger;43058]
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    "I would love to see a Mabel John set"

Is there more material in the Motown vaults on Mabel John than appeared on the My Name Is Mabel CD a couple of years ago? Sadly, my copy seemed to contain two of the same version of "Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That" rather than the two different ones.

Great news about the Patrice set - S is for Stevie la la la la la.
    Mysterysinger,

For some reason, I wasn't aware of that CD. So thank you, and yes, that looks like it is her complete recordings on Motown. Will have to get that one if it's still available. Thanks!

Kenneth