[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Mary Wilson singing "U" on The Biggers & Summers Show 1995


  2. #2
    This was great. "U" is not an easy song to sing live because of the way it was recorded. On the recording, Mary's vocals are layered (I'm not sure if that is the way to describe it). She sings all the parts on the original. I had a video of her performing it on British TV back in the 90s. The host was named Selena. Maybe some of our members from the U.K. would know that show.

  3. #3
    One wonders why Mary kept trying to nurse a solo career after the group disbanded.

  4. #4
    I remember now. The name of the program was "The Selena Scott Show".

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I love the song and don't understood why it was never a hit. Was it lack of exposure and promotion?. If so it was an injustice. Mary’s live performance sounds just as good as the recording and she performs with gusto.
    This kind of reminds me of Diana’s work with the Boom Brothers from around the same time. IMO “Gone” and “Don’t Stop” were two of her best songs from the 90’s. I would have loved for the BB to have been given the green light to produce the entire Take Me Higher set.
    My kind of music.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I love the song and don't understood why it was never a hit. Was it lack of exposure and promotion?. If so it was an injustice. Mary’s live performance sounds just as good as the recording and she performs with gusto.
    This kind of reminds me of Diana’s work with the Boom Brothers from around the same time. IMO “Gone” and “Don’t Stop” were two of her best songs from the 90’s. I would have loved for the BB to have been given the green light to produce the entire Take Me Higher set.
    My kind of music.
    Ollie, I remember Frankie Crocker of WBLS in NYC playing "U" a couple of times during the afternoon/evening drive time period back in 1996. The comments I've heard and read from others agree with you. I loved the song. Her follow up record, "Turn Around" was even better in my opinion.

  7. #7
    This actually could've been a hit for Mary. Very contemporary. I still don't believe that it really shows off her true vocal skills, but it really does have all the right elements. It really should've made some noise.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    One wonders why Mary kept trying to nurse a solo career after the group disbanded.
    one wonders why she shouldn’t continue with a solo career .. that was and is her choice ...and this was a good strong track

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ollie, I remember Frankie Crocker of WBLS in NYC playing "U" a couple of times during the afternoon/evening drive time period back in 1996. The comments I've heard and read from others agree with you. I loved the song. Her follow up record, "Turn Around" was even better in my opinion.
    “U” remains my favourite but Mary certainly turns out a wonderfully relaxed and soulful vocal on “Turn Around”. I much prefer it when she is in relaxed mode both live and when recording. Not so much now, but in the past and particularly when performing Supremes songs she had a tendency to get a little manic.
    Would have loved a solid neo-soul type album from her around this time. She has the smoky cool vocals to suit such an album.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 04-08-2020 at 06:22 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Would have loved a solid neo-soul type album from her around this time. She has the smoky cool vocals to suit such an album.
    Absolutely agree.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    “U” remains my favourite but Mary certainly turns out a wonderfully relaxed and soulful vocal on “Turn Around”. I much prefer it when she is in relaxed mode both live and when recording. Not so much now, but in the past and particularly when performing Supremes songs she had a tendency to get a little manic.
    Would have loved a solid neo-soul type album from her around this time. She has the smoky cool vocals to suit such an album.
    I have noticed that in recent years, Mary has a more controlled approached to songs and performances. Her voice is still in very good shape. She could do a very credible neo-soul type album. I can't remember if she is still associated with the Motor City Werks label.

  12. #12
    This thread...LOL.
    Last edited by monicarivers; 04-08-2020 at 08:46 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    This thread...LOL.
    I agree with you dear it’s wonderful. I myself find the best threads are practically always the ones which are free of those tired, worn out bitchy camp comments. The ones where fans share their knowledge and thoughts on the music itself without fear of ridicule.
    But then i’m sure you must agree.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I have noticed that in recent years, Mary has a more controlled approached to songs and performances. Her voice is still in very good shape. She could do a very credible neo-soul type album. I can't remember if she is still associated with the Motor City Werks label.
    i agree in that she has displayed a far more controlled and centred approach to singing from probably the early 90’s. Perhaps like Diana, the 80’s were her experimental years.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    i agree in that she has displayed a far more controlled and centred approach to singing from probably the early 90’s. Perhaps like Diana, the 80’s were her experimental years.
    I know Mary was always trying new things, new types of music from Pop to Rock, from Jazz to Hip Hop. She routinely added new songs to her concerts too.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    i agree in that she has displayed a far more controlled and centred approach to singing from probably the early 90’s. Perhaps like Diana, the 80’s were her experimental years.
    I know Mary was always trying new things, new types of music from Pop to Rock, from Jazz to Hip Hop. She routinely added new songs to her concerts too.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.