[REMOVE ADS]

Diana + movies/tv + the 80s

always enjoy these "what if" threads. in another one, people are discussed what it might have been like had Diana stayed with Motown.

so here's another discussion topic

during the 80s, what films or tv shows that WERE produced would you like to have had Diana been a part of? we all know that she was super picky and not eager to share billing [[or be a supporting role).

but here are a few fun ideas to consider

Witches of Eastwick - they SO could have used a black witch! lol

Dynasty or Dallas - Dynasty pulled in Diahann Carroll. maybe Dallas or Falcon Crest could have recruited Diana!

steel Magnolias - hmmm maybe?

i know she'd never do a wild comedy like what Whoopi was doing. but i wonder if she would have done a period piece. like Color Purple or Cotton Club

I read that Eddie Murphy originally wanted Diana and Billy Dee Williams to play his parents in COMING TO AMERICA. That might have been nice.

Something classic like THE COLOR PURPLE also would have been cool.

Not the 80s but:
    She was probably too old for WAITING TO EXHALE when it came out. But maybe she could have been a wise older friend to one of the girls.

The Colour Purple would have been a perfect vehicle for Diana. I know the novelist Alice Walker vetoed any suggestion of Diana appearing as the Shug Avery character, but don’t really think it was anything personal against Diana. Rather it was the fact they were going for authenticity and Diana is a larger then life superstar. I’ve never been absolutely certain if D.R ever showed any interest in the film anyway?.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The Colour Purple would have been a perfect vehicle for Diana. I know the novelist Alice Walker vetoed any suggestion of Diana appearing as the Shug Avery character, but don’t really think it was anything personal against Diana. Rather it was the fact they were going for authenticity and Diana is a larger then life superstar. I’ve never been absolutely certain if D.R ever showed any interest in the film anyway?.
    I believe Quincy Jones said they originally wanted Tina Turner for Shug but she wasn't interested.

I believe one of the main contenders for the role of Shug was one M’s Chaka Khan who turned the part down. She did however appear in the Broadway version of CP as Sofia.
    It’s a shame, as her version of “Miss Celie’s Blues” is for me the definitive version.
    I think Diana would have been perfect for the part of SA. Might perhaps have garnered her another oscar nomination.

I believe the character of Angelica Nero on Dallas from 85 to 86 was created for Diana Ross, but she wound up not coming aboard. The role went to Barbara Carrera.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I believe Quincy Jones said they originally wanted Tina Turner for Shug but she wasn't interested.
    Yes, Tina said more than once in interviews something along the lines of "I'd already done that', meaning a hardscrabble real life.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    always enjoy these "what if" threads. in another one, people are discussed what it might have been like had Diana stayed with Motown.

so here's another discussion topic

during the 80s, what films or tv shows that WERE produced would you like to have had Diana been a part of? we all know that she was super picky and not eager to share billing [[or be a supporting role).
    Most of your picks are good ones. I don't think she would have fit Color Purple at all.
    Had she been able to do the Baker story, I think it would've been a highlight of her career. The Bodyguard would've been a natural. But overall I can't think of much that screamed a part for Diana in the 80s. I figure most of what she could've done and excelled at would have been movies written specifically for her.

Now she definitely could've done more TV. Limited runs on Dynasty or Dallas would've worked. Guest spots on Love Boat or Hotel would've been good. She was mentioned enough on Diff'rent Strokes that it would've made sense for her to encounter Arnold and Willis somehow.

Perhaps a remake of the 1967 film Valley Of The Dolls might have proved lucrative.

How about as Lando Calrissian's girlfriend or wife in the Star Wars movies.

i think there were quite a few mainstream movies that could have worked and not have been the obvious choice, like the Baker project

witches of eastwick
    death becomes her
    Baby boom - that could have been a fun idea! the exec struggling with a baby
    broadcast news
    Clue - Mrs White maybe? or Miss Scarlett